The Mig21 cockpit looks too "dirty"

stray cat

I am afraid your argument about age doesn't hold up at all. The MiG is still in service with a lot of nations. It has had a very long service life. The F-86F didn't. As for the fact that it is eastern block meaning it is rusty - where do you get that idea from? I don't for a moment think Leatherneck have produced a worn cockpit look because it was a Russian aircraft. Why would that have any bearing at all? Just your prejudice I feel.

It is a common cliche which is unintentionally enforced by movie and arts. For example:

Mexico or Iraq get yellow tint in movies, Anything WW2 is in degraded colors, we cant see a single vietnam themed movie or game that does not jam 60s rock music into every scene, and russian aircraft cockpits look beat up all the time.

I like clean cockpits, and for my taste the DCS mig21 looks too beat up on the inside. I will still buy that thing on day one without any hesitation, but it would really enhance the experience for me and other players that enjoy cleaner cockpits if there was an option for a cleaner cockpit.

we cant see a single vietnam themed movie or game that does not jam 60s rock music into every scene, and russian aircraft cockpits look beat up all the time.

Maybe because Vietnam war was on the 60s...?

That is not called cliché, is called historical reenactment in the film industry.

And for the cockpits... this is not a FC3 Su-27, can you spot any dirt?

su27flanker5.jpg

The Mig21 cockpit looks too "dirty"

Hello I don't possess the MIG-21 but with all the screenshots that I've seen this cockpit is juste awesome and beautiful :thumbup:

Great work LN :drunk:

The are many arguments for a worn cockpit in the MiG-21. I'll list a few:

1.) The MiG is still in service today, but is much older than the Lock On/FC series aircraft. Because the Fishbed and the aircraft from Lock On/FC will likely be participating in the same scenarios and will be seen side-by-side, it makes sense for the MiG to appear more aged.

2.) Soviet aircraft are commonly seen in developing countries with limited resources to maintain them. While Russian examples may be in better condition, the fact that newer and more capable Russian aircraft are available as FC modules means that mission designers will probably lean towards using the MiG-21 in other factions.

3.) Digital art makes use of weathering to increase the visual authenticity of the image. Extremely clean CG objects are often perceived to be 'fake', and need certain imperfections to be believable. This is universally recognized in the gaming industry, and is a core component of artistic representation.

4.) The entire concept of DCS is heavily reliant on becoming intimately acquainted with an aircraft. Players feel that aircraft have 'personality', and weathering is key in establishing a notion of uniqueness, as it implies that the particular plane has a long and interesting back story, rather than being a sterile machine fresh off the production line. The popularity of weathered cockpit mods reflects this phenomenon.

Note that none of these points imply that a clean cockpit would be unwelcome. However, since LN only has the resources to create one version, the reasons above dictate that the 'dirty' version is the wiser choice.

I think the Mig21 interior cockpit looks a bit too "used". Especially the dirt in the lower area of cockpit and the wear on the exposed metal left and right of the pilot and the paper age.

The textures look absoutely convincing so the quality of the model and texture is great, I just think it should look a bit less used. For example I noticed there is a considerable differenence in wear level between the KA50 cockpit (made by ED?) and the cockpits made by BELSIMTEK. FOr example, their stuff has minimal wear, which shows the aircraft is not just off the assembly line instead only has a minimal amount of wear.

The Mig21 cockpit however looks like it was towed off a scrapyard.

Again, not critizizing the quality of the developer work, I just would have a preferred a less used, more "minimal wear look" like on the BELSIMTEK modules.

I feel this contrast every time after flying the f86 or Mi-8 when I take the KA50, feels like climbing into a dirty trashcan. With the pedals looking like they were pulled out of the tchernobyl reactor ruins and sold for profit for its magical properties.

Suggestions: Is it possible to offer 2 texture settings? One in the current worn state and one in a more pristine condition? I know modders will probably offer that, but I vaguely assume reducing the wear on the existing textures done by the actual texture artist would be of higher quality.

Pffft ............ever been in real used Aircraft?

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Maybe because Vietnam war was on the 60s...?

That is not called cliché, is called historical reenactment in the film industry.

And for the cockpits... this is not a FC3 Su-27, can you spot any dirt?

su27flanker5.jpg

This is FSX, poor VC in Su-27.

Dont joke. VC of MiG-21 of LS is very well done.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I think it adds more realism to the sim when the cockpit looks "almost" identical to the current Serbian mig-21. Courtesy of Caspar Smlt on flickr, cockpit picture in a Serbian mig-21.

8196719375_c245cd06ae_o.jpg

I love the shorts! Any chance Leatherneck will include that option when pilots are added to the cockpit?

stray_cat, just wait for release and you can paint the cockpit as you like. I do preffer it whethered as it looks like right now.

Absolutely...

Clearly, no amount of examples or reasoning is going to change your own internal bias so please feel free to "cleanup" the cockpit as you see fit once it has been released...

COBRA:

AWESOME LOOKING COCKPIT MY FRIEND!

:thumbup:

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

I like my cockpits like I like my women, dirty and with me having zero understanding on how to operate them....

Says the man posting from work where the wife can't see over his shoulder. :lol:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I like my cockpits like I like my women....

But dont forget: cocpit has a STICK ..... ;D.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I love the shorts! Any chance Leatherneck will include that option when pilots are added to the cockpit?

34759d1392614652-all-one-2015-focus-focus-st-news-thread-tumblr_inline_moen5ks5l81qz4rgp.jpg

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

3.) Digital art makes use of weathering to increase the visual authenticity of the image. Extremely clean CG objects are often perceived to be 'fake', and need certain imperfections to be believable. This is universally recognized in the gaming industry, and is a core component of artistic representation.

Completely wrong. Using too much wear on a texture is a sign of a less experienced artist trying to push the used look so it looks more real. It takes much more skill to make something look realistic and clean at the same time. As is the case in all of belsimtek modules, their stuff looks 100% convincing and new at the same time.

If something looks "fake" its usually the texture artist failing to paint it properly. Using too much wear is a stupid extreme.

• Like 2

Completely wrong. Using too much wear on a texture is a sign of a less experienced artist trying to push the used look so it looks more real. It takes much more skill to make something look realistic and clean at the same time. As is the case in all of belsimtek modules, their stuff looks 100% convincing and new at the same time.

If something looks "fake" its usually the texture artist failing to paint it properly. Using too much wear is a stupid extreme.

Well, that pretty squarely crossed the line into insulting the dev's territory.

Since you clearly are a better judge of texture art than the person who did the textures, why not just make your own mod that pleases you specifically and be done with it?

I think this conversation has run it's course.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

waitasecond.jpg

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]