IR filter on PS3 Eye

Okey so, first of all Hello !

I have been using FTNoIR with a cheap ass bearly doing 30 frames cam for 2 years now and it was quite successful, but i wanted to try out the "FreeTrack" method.

So I bought a PS3 Eye, cuz I saw a lot of ppl used it. So on the old camera with a a bit of old film infront it could pick my LEDs, the frames were rubbish. Between all the openings of teh cam I ****ed up something in it so it doesn't work so well now.

Got the PS3 Eye (the so called "Good" one). It was barely picking my LED. I have put on a bit of floppy disk on it so it's block the light and it seems quite good(doesn't block the lamp right behind me tho but dat is another thing).

So my question is: Do I really have to remove the IR filter or is there another way . I saw this post http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=2816 and I thought it might work, but nobody has reported anything on the post about it working as the topic in the thread quickly shifts as the users on the forums there are not that active anymore.

So should I try it ? Can't go back to NoIR after all teh work I did on the clip and also the PS3 eye doesnt track very well mah face

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I have gotten a ''bad'' camera and had to manually remove my IR filter by hand with a needle. Before, there was no differance beetwen normal and IR LEDS, now it works like a charm. Is IR filter removing a must? no. Is it ideal? YES. Bye good PS3, you mean the old one? In old PS3 eye, the just had to unscrew the lens and you could remove the filter. as simple as that. if you took an old eye (wich is ''the good one'' for me) than just look up a tutorial on how to do that, if you really can't find any, say it and i'll send you one, i've seen some. Now, if you meant something else by ''good one'', you will have to remove the filter by other means like me. It isn't hard, its long and require precision, like de-liding, you just don't waste hundreads of $$. You will spot the IR filter easilly, it is a blue piece of glass that has red reflection, you can't miss it. If you have more question, ask and i'll answer, i've made A LOT of reschearch before modding my cam, so i might have answers.

I don't know about washing the IR filter. I'd say try it, as i won't hurt, but I don't think i'll be as good as if you'd have remove the IR filter. If it isn't enough, try removing it. as I said, you can't really mess that up unless you get the hammer out :smilewink: . http://codelaboratories.com/research/view/ps3-eye-disassembly

PS : IR filter DO NOT have lens effect, so you won't loose any accrucy by removing it.

• Like 1

I am using a filter that blocks less light than a film strip. That way removing the IR filter is not needed. The film strip I was testing removed a large amount of IR light as well as all of the visible light.

However, it does not need much to blind a webcam from visible light as they are not that sensitive. I can easily see through the filter I use now with my eyes, but the webcam goes completely dark when it's attached.

There's pictures of my setup in the hardware forum if you're interested to see it.

I use a new "bad" ps3 cam and it works great, I get a solid and big enough image of all 3 IR LEDs at all angles < 90 degrees.

I am using a filter that blocks less light than a film strip. That way removing the IR filter is not needed. The film strip I was testing removed a large amount of IR light as well as all of the visible light.

However, it does not need much to blind a webcam from visible light as they are not that sensitive. I can easily see through the filter I use now with my eyes, but the webcam goes completely dark when it's attached.

There's pictures of my setup in the hardware forum if you're interested to see it.

I use a new "bad" ps3 cam and it works great, I get a solid and big enough image of all 3 IR LEDs at all angles < 90 degrees.

:thumbup:

I'm using a 37mm IR pass filter from a camera and used the same water bottle mount trick that you did.

Never removed the IR filter from the PS3Eye and it tracks much better than it did with the disc filter.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Well I tried the alchohol method and it didn't work. With a lot of hasitation and hustle I removed the IR filter and the focus went to the garbage, but i wont be needing dat anyway. It works somewhat well now. I guess I have to fine tune it a bit more.

Tho I put the smoothining factor to 50 it still has a bit of jitter. Any ideas on how to minimize that ?

'Shadow'

Sorry to hear about the focus. In my webcam, the filter was very near if not inside other glass lens and i lost no accruacy. For jitter, there are to ways to deal with it :

1-If you see that the virtual head in free track jiters WHEN IN MOVEMENT, or has a ''un lubriefied-like movement'' (really, i had to idea on how to say that lol) add smoothness.

2-If you get jittering WHEN STABLE : add deadzone, or customize the curve.

PS: did you get it to work in game? I use PPjoy to map it in DCS as i wasn't into LUAs.

Yea I got it to work.No problem. Just change the tracking source to PointTracker and nothing else.

Btw I think the jitter options you said are the other way around. I was stable and got jitter. Increased the smoothness and it worked. Still has some but it's K. I don't even have PPjoy installed and haven't changed anything about the LUA files

'Shadow'

• 8 months later...