Altitude limit in DCS world

Vinny002

Hi, guys!

I got an interesting question to ask you, do you know what is the altitude limit in DCS world? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

I don't know if there is a hard altitude limit, but I managed to get the F-15C over 100000 ft. The main limitation is simply that the air is not thick enough for the airplane to fly higher. It might be interesting to build a custom EFM that does not lose thrust at high altitude just to explore the limitations of the current engine. Since EDGE has the capability for spherical earth maps, it may be possible to create an orbiter module, but floating point error could cause visible jittering at extreme altitude.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi, guys!

I got an interesting question to ask you, do you know what is the altitude limit in DCS world? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

100km.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Hi, VincentLaw!

Yes, it'll be very interesting to see the orbiter module for DCS world!! @USARStarkey: what plane did you shoot the Phoenix missile off of? I forgot to ask you, can you see the curvature of the earth say about 60,000 feet above the ground in DCS world? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Edited by Vinny002

Hi, VincentLaw!

Yes, it'll be very interesting to see the orbiter module for DCS world!! @USARStarkey: what plane did you shoot the Phoenix missile off of? I forgot to ask you, can you see the curvature of the earth say about 60,000 feet above the ground in DCS world? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Earth curvature effect is not that great in current DCSW engine, EDGE on the other hand will look quite spectacular the higher you fly ;)

In the shaders mod i put together i've attempted to mimic a slight curvature effect (in sky.fx shader)

wCG3m7R.png

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=113374

Edited by Mustang

Hi, Mustang!

That is excellent news! I can't until I try out EDGE! Thanks! @SilentEagle: you lose view of the ground after a few hundred thousand feet because of the atmospheric haze. What kind of modified SFM and AFM aircraft did you use to fly well into space? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Hi, Mustang!

That is excellent news! I can't until I try out EDGE! Thanks! @SilentEagle: you lose view of the ground after a few hundred thousand feet because of the atmospheric haze. What kind of modified SFM and AFM aircraft did you use to fly well into space? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

You can do it by modifying any SFM aircraft thrust value to an insanely high value. You just go full throttle and point the plane vertical before you lose elevator effectiveness. On our AFM L-39 model I have tested fake rocket engines to do crazy ascents into the atmosphere, but you are right, the atmospheric haze kills the long distance viewing. Otherwise, seeing the edges of the current map would be possible.