Extra computers as Image Generators

To get around the performance degradation of running multi-screen setups with huge resolutions on a single machine it should be possible to run instances of DCS on extra computers in a LAN to be used solely as image generators.

This is what is normally done on "high-end" flight simulators.

Has a similar possibility ever been addressed by Eagle Dynamics?

Surely with the graphics cards available, 90% of configurations are possible with just 1 PC, and will be cheaper to implement.

I run 3 1920 x 1080 screens, plus a 1920 x 1080 touch screen. I use a graphics card that is not at the cutting edge of available power, and I get 25-30 fps in 99% of situations with the graphics options set to maximum.

With the advent of Edge, I don't envisage the need for any more graphics power, on the contrary, I have a feeling the situation will improve due to the fact that with the new engine, more of the system resources will be utilised, and so things should run more efficiently.

So, why do we need to invest in a second PC to drive graphics well within the capabilities of a single, well specified machine? Why would ED waste valuable development time on a facility that 99% of customers would never need?

• Like 1

I would imagine that making use of multiple cores in one CPU would be a slightly easier pile of coding than making use of multiple machines.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Surely with the graphics cards available, 90% of configurations are possible with just 1 PC, and will be cheaper to implement.

Of all the configurations I can think of 90% would be impossible with just 1 PC.

I run 3 1920 x 1080 screens, plus a 1920 x 1080 touch screen. I use a graphics card that is not at the cutting edge of available power, and I get 25-30 fps in 99% of situations with the graphics options set to maximum.

Simulators generally run with guaranteed 60fps, and what if I want more than 4 screens?

With the advent of Edge, I don't envisage the need for any more graphics power, on the contrary, I have a feeling the situation will improve due to the fact that with the new engine, more of the system resources will be utilised, and so things should run more efficiently.

So, why do we need to invest in a second PC to drive graphics well within the capabilities of a single, well specified machine?

No matter how much power you put in a single PC, performance will be better with multiple image generators.

Full surround display solutions with adequate angular resolution are only possible with multiple image generators; for instance the simulator I work on uses 32 IG PCs for the Out of The Window display.

The simple fact that Eagle Dynamics often refers to EDGE as an Image Generator (a term I have only encountered in the professional simulation world) suggests that this functionality has already been considered. I was wondering if any official word had come out on the subject.

I would imagine that making use of multiple cores in one CPU would be a slightly easier pile of coding than making use of multiple machines.

Not quite sure about that.

Besides, didn't ED make a full scale simulator -helicopter based- with earlier iteration of EDGE?

(Corsica terrain... unless i'm badly mistaken...)

Well, usually full scale simulator are built with that sort of mechanics (multi PC-single OTW scene rendering)...

Bad idea IMHO.

DCS can already run three monitors (or four with a extra one for Helios or similar) with a decent CPU and GPU and I imagine that's overwhelmingly the most common multi-screen setup, so that's what they should focus their efforts on.

What ED need to do is allow us to set the FOV and lateral offset for each monitor, as is possible with X-Plane, so for example, if each of the side monitors are angled at 45 degrees from the central monitor, we'd set the left monitor to -45 offset and the right to +45 offset, so that those monitors show what we would see IRL looking at 45 degrees off-centre. Or we could put the monitors 90 degrees to either side of our head and set them to -90 and +90 to give a view directly left and right. Or any other angle we want to use.

At the moment, the three screens just display a wider, flat, forward view and physically angling them in doesn't change that and just gives a distorted unrealistic view.

All it needs in the options is a setting "Enable Triple-Screen" and then it should show settings for the Left, Central and Right monitors, allowing us to set the display number, lateral offset and FOV for each (although the latter is probably going to be the same for all three, so there could perhaps just be one global setting for that).

With X-Plane, traditionally this has required multiple PCs, each running a copy of X-Plane and slaved to the master PC but with more powerful CPUs and GPUs, this can now be done with a single PC, as per this guide http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=65660&page=1

It's still fiddly with X-Plane, as it requires making three copies of the install folder (mostly symlinks though, so it doesn't take up much extra storage space), then adjusting the settings for each, including distinct network ports and running in windowed mode and moving each window manually to the appropriate monitor (or using something like Actual Multiple Monitors to do this automatically).

With DCS, there's no need to bother the user with network ports or running multiple copies, as DCS can handle the syncing internally by itself and even if it's easier for it to run multiple instances of the image generator (as that's all the left and right monitors require, with the rest of the sim processed by the first instance) then DCS can do that in the background by itself, without the user even being aware.

Along with separating the views out like this, so each screen is running individually at 1920x1080, rather than one large 5760x1080 display that covers all three screens, it would also be useful to have the exports directed to a specific display, i.e number 4 in Windows terms, so that they can be positioned within that 1920x1080 area, rather than having to extend the DCS display area as we currently do, so for 3+1 in a line that's 7680x1080 and then position the exports within that area, e.g. for the Left MFCD 5761,0.

Whilst that would still be using the same overall area/number of pixels, it would simplify things for users and make it easier for them to share setups, as it wouldn't matter whether someone had a 1+1 setup for DCS/Helios or a 3+1 setup, the MFCD, etc positions would still be the same.

Once ED has provided us with settings to enable us to properly setup a three monitor view on a single PC, then they can of course look at syncing multiple copies on multiple PCs for even more displays if they want but it would be completely premature to work on that now, when it won't be of interest or benefit to most users.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Good considerations doveman.

I agree with the need to define separate viewports for separate screens and with the opinion that it wouldn't be of interest or benefit to most users.

I don't however share the fear of precious development time being wasted on such a feature which should really be quite trivial.

What exactly are those 90%? I'm just curious.

search google images for simulator dome display

Dome displays are already possible with DCS. There is a company in New Zealand I believe that currently markets the complete package - but you'll need to re-mortgage your house to get one.

If they can do it, then it is obviously possible. Somehow though, I don't expect they'll tell you how :)