How to get "Cleared to land"

When coming i to land I go through the usual proceedings, however, when and whether I get the "cleared to land" message from the ATC feels random.

(This is in a scenario with no friendly planes waiting ahead of me in line)

Sometimes I get the message right away- sometimes I circle the field forever with no clearance given.

Is there some soecific criteria that must be met before asking for landing permission? (Geographic placing, speed, altitude etc?)

Also- how do I cycle my ILS to get to the correct airfield?

Cheers!

You'll get landing clearance from the ATC when you are on finals. The ILS is set up for airfields using the frequency details from the relevant airfield data - assuming it has ILS available, and specifically, available for the runway you are landing on.

The ILS panel is on the right side of the cockpit, and you can cycle through the frequencies in the usual manner by rotating the knobs using your mouse. You also need to make sure the ILS panel is switched on, and ILS is selected on the NMSP panel in front of the joystick, and the needles are active on the ADI. For the system to work properly, select the bearing of the runway on your course knob on the HSI too.

Regarding ILS I was thinking for FC3 aircraft, specifically the f-15.

Regarding "CLeared to land", I do get "Dodge 1, check landing gear" when I am on final approach, but that I would also get if I cut through everyone else landing in line before me, instead of waiting for my turn.

Oh well, I'll keep checking:)

Regarding ILS I was thinking for FC3 aircraft, specifically the f-15.

Regarding "CLeared to land", I do get "Dodge 1, check landing gear" when I am on final approach, but that I would also get if I cut through everyone else landing in line before me, instead of waiting for my turn.

Oh well, I'll keep checking:)

When you are on final you call the ATC to confirm you are landing and you will then get confirmation "Cleared to land, runway XX". Just takes a bit of training :)

When coming i to land I go through the usual proceedings, however, when and whether I get the "cleared to land" message from the ATC feels random.

(This is in a scenario with no friendly planes waiting ahead of me in line)

Sometimes I get the message right away- sometimes I circle the field forever with no clearance given.

Is there some soecific criteria that must be met before asking for landing permission? (Geographic placing, speed, altitude etc?)

Also- how do I cycle my ILS to get to the correct airfield?

Cheers!

When you call the ATC saying that you are inbound, listen to it, it will say something like "fly heading *** for **". That means you have to fly ** miles heading ***, then you can request landing, it's not random. This also gives you the correct position for turning final into the correct runway.

When you are on final, the ATC will also remind you to check landing gear, etc.

I think this should answer your question.

EDIT: also the ATC detail is definitely NOT high, so there are no queues, no emergency landings... nothing like Falcon (which has a better ATC, but still, the AI is pretty stupid I must say :P )

Edited by secret1962

­­­­­­

How do I know if I have already flown the *** miles?

The way I do it is drop a waypoint at your current location as soon as ATC responds with the range/bearing information (using the UFC button) then create a offset waypoint from this one to the bearing/range that ATC gave you (which is relative to the point where you initially called from). That way you can navigate to the new waypoint and end up where you're supposed to.