Lateral offset settings for triple screen display

doveman

From what I've read, most folks who are running multiple displays are using three screens for the view (plus whatever else they're using for Helios, etc) but at the moment there's no way for us to set an offset so that the side monitors display the views they should for what angle they're set at. All we get is an extended, flat, forward view and physically angling the side monitors in doesn't change that and just gives a distorted unrealistic view.

What ED need to do is allow us to set the FOV and lateral offset for each monitor, as is possible with X-Plane, so for example, if each of the side monitors are angled at 45 degrees from the central monitor, we'd set the left monitor to -45 offset and the right to +45 offset, so that those monitors show what we would see IRL looking at 45 degrees off-centre. Or we could put the monitors 90 degrees to either side of our head and set them to -90 and +90 to give a view directly left and right. Or any other angle we want to use.

All this needs in the options is a setting "Enable Triple-Screen" and then it should show settings for the Left, Central and Right monitors, allowing us to set the display number, lateral offset and FOV for each (although the latter is probably going to be the same for all three, so there could perhaps just be one global setting for that).

With X-Plane, traditionally this has required multiple PCs, each running a copy of X-Plane and slaved to the master PC but with more powerful CPUs and GPUs, this can now be done with a single PC, as per this guide http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?...c=65660&page=1

It's still fiddly with X-Plane, as it requires making three copies of the install folder (mostly symlinks though, so it doesn't take up much extra storage space), then adjusting the settings for each, including distinct network ports and running in windowed mode and moving each window manually to the appropriate monitor (or using something like Actual Multiple Monitors to do this automatically).

With DCS running all three screens from one PC, there's no need to bother the user with network ports or running multiple copies, as DCS can handle the syncing internally by itself and even if it's easier for it to run multiple instances of the image generator (as that's all the left and right monitors require, with the rest of the sim processed by the first instance) then DCS can do that in the background by itself, without the user even being aware.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

VR will fix all this.. :)

You mean Rift? I've got no interest in that at the moment as by all accounts, the resolution is inadequate for DCS. Maybe it will be a viable option one day but in the meantime, I want to be able to use three monitors.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen