Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

Rudel_chw

How did you get the program to work with new planes such as the skyhawk?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

27 minutes ago, sobe said:

Rudel_chw

How did you get the program to work with new planes such as the skyhawk?

I enabled this preference:

Oxz0AIz.jpg

👍

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Rudel_chw

I never noticed that option.  That really helps.  I hope the developer has not given up on this mod.

• Like 1

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot get this program to start up correctly.  When I start up I get the error: System.Argument.NullException:Value cannot be Null

Reading the past posts this error was fixed by update to version 1.8.0.6, but I cannot seem to update Kneeboard builder.  I checked the automated update box on set up.  If I don't set a file path for DCS install then I can get into the program.  Clicking on "Help" and "Update" within the builder program does nothing.  Any suggestions?  Is this app still viable post 2.7 DCS?

Thanks

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

24 minutes ago, Tshark said:

I cannot get this program to start up correctly.  When I start up I get the error: System.Argument.NullException:Value cannot be Null

Reading the past posts this error was fixed by update to version 1.8.0.6, but I cannot seem to update Kneeboard builder.  I checked the automated update box on set up.  If I don't set a file path for DCS install then I can get into the program.  Clicking on "Help" and "Update" within the builder program does nothing.  Any suggestions?  Is this app still viable post 2.7 DCS?

Thanks

It still works for managing kneeboard pages but not for changing the size/placement of the kneeboard. To get it working try deleting the *.config file in the directory where it is installed. That might get it running again, and then try updating. Unfortunately the program appears to no longer be supported and the latest version does not appear to be linked from its website. Nevertheless I was able to update it some time ago. Do not recall the details for sure but I think it was using the *.config method mentioned.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

35 minutes ago, Tshark said:

Reading the past posts this error was fixed by update to version 1.8.0.6, but I cannot seem to update Kneeboard builder. 

Probably the Update function of the KB isnt working anymore, this is the latest 1.8.0.6 version:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26h6VXVPz3681SIEpRmA?e=DODDuL

uncompress and use it to replace all the files of your current KB. 

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Thank you very much!  Looks like this program is deprecating.

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

Sadly, yes it looks that way. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

23 minutes ago, Tshark said:

Thank you very much!  Looks like this program is deprecating.

👍 To me, it’s still very useful, I use it to manage the kneeboards of  all my DCS aircrafts, and also to inject my mission’s Briefing onto the MIZ file.

IIRC the automatic update feature depends on a specific URL link being active at the time the check is made. I've seen it being down at times, which causes KBB to take 2-3 minutes longer to start up, because it's waiting for the link to be successful, and eventually times out. When this happened, I went to the main site and it was still fine, so the link must be going to some other site or a DNS alias that turns off at times.

• Like 1

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 1 month later...

Pretty sure jpg doesn't work.  Try png.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I'm guessing, you want to create a customer kneeboard for the Mosquito using one or more JPG files. Principally, it should work, but KBB seems to have some kind of bug preventing it. For me KBB crashes every time I try to create a new group for the Mosquito.

The way it should work for importing image files directly, is:

-> select "Create Custom Kneeboard"

-> select the aircraft

-> at the bottom of the left window (available groups) click [New]

-> Name the group

-> select the newly created group

-> click on [Modify]

-> at the bottom left of the window click [Import Images]

-> select the images you wish through the Windows dialog window.

But, as I stated, for MosquitoFBMkVI KBB crashes when I try to create a new group.

You could simply add the images directly to the Mossy kneeboard location, if you wish. Just put them into c:\Users\your_user_name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Kneeboard\MosquitoFBMkVI\ and place the JPG files there. The file names should follow the following scheme:

xxxx-Aaaaaaaaa-nnnn

where

xxxx is a 4 digit number, starting with 0001 enumerating the kneeboard group name for sorting purposes. xxxx should increase by 1 per group.

Aaaaa is an alpha-numeric string which may include space characters being the actual name of the kneeboard group.

nnnn is a 4 digit number, starting with 0001 denoting the position of the file within the group for sorting purposes. nnnn should increase by 1 per file within a group. The next group starts with 0001 again.

EG:

001-A10C StartUp Checklist Day per ralfidude by Capt Orso-000.png
001-A10C StartUp Checklist Day per ralfidude by Capt Orso-001.png
001-A10C StartUp Checklist Day per ralfidude by Capt Orso-002.png
002-A10C_2 HOTAS Charts Day by Capt Orso-000.png
002-A10C_2 HOTAS Charts Day by Capt Orso-001.png
003-RWR Charts Day_copy-001.png

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 months later...

Hi I can't get this programme to work in Windows 11. It does not save the settings in preferences unless I select custom and it builds the profiles, saves the files in the correct place but doesn't show the profiles or allow them to be selected.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies to everyone for the long absence and lack of updates.  When I first began developing Kneeboard Builder I had two kids and a job that still left me with a decent amount of free time.  Eight years later, I now have five kids (3 still under 10 years old) and an executive level position that sucks up any remaining spare time and energy.  It seems I rarely even get to fly in DCS anymore, but I still plan on supporting this project as much as I can.

Currently I likely won’t have the time to fix many of the smaller bugs that you may be experiencing but my goal is to at least keep it running for as many users as possible.

The auto-update feature is currently broken due to a web server issue and I hope to have that fixed in the next update. (Not sure when that will be yet)

I appreciate your patience and want to thank all of you that stepped in to help the new users with any problems or questions they had.

~AlaskanGrizzly

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for letting us know. Good to hear!

On 1/6/2022 at 10:12 PM, AlaskanGrizzly said:

but I still plan on supporting this project as much as I can.

Thanks a lot for caring about this 👍  I use your software a lot, it is a great help with my kneeboard documents and it still works fine for me, even on latest DCS. 

On 1/7/2022 at 2:12 AM, AlaskanGrizzly said:

My apologies to everyone for the long absence and lack of updates.  When I first began developing Kneeboard Builder I had two kids and a job that still left me with a decent amount of free time.  Eight years later, I now have five kids (3 still under 10 years old) and an executive level position that sucks up any remaining spare time and energy.  It seems I rarely even get to fly in DCS anymore, but I still plan on supporting this project as much as I can.

Currently I likely won’t have the time to fix many of the smaller bugs that you may be experiencing but my goal is to at least keep it running for as many users as possible.

The auto-update feature is currently broken due to a web server issue and I hope to have that fixed in the next update. (Not sure when that will be yet)

I appreciate your patience and want to thank all of you that stepped in to help the new users with any problems or questions they had.

~AlaskanGrizzly

Thanks a lot

AlaskanGrizzly

Of course since your last email, I now have an issue with KB.  All of a sudden this morning, I got the following error message:

---------------------------
There was an error!
Use Ctrl + C to copy this error and e-mail it to s13solutions@gmail.com :  

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\13057\Saved Games\Mods\aircraft'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()

at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)

at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.EnumerateFiles(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.FindLuaFile(String _pathToSearch, String _fileNameToFind, String _aircraftName, String _optParam)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.GetDeviceInitPath(String _dcsPath, String _dcsSavedGamePath, String _aircraftName)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.SetupKneeboard(String _dcsPath, String _dcsSavedGamesPath, String aircraftname, ProfileModel _selectedProfile)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.UpdateDefaultKneeboards()

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel..ctor()

at KneeboardBuilder.Views.MainView..ctor()
OK   
------------------------

16 minutes ago, sobe said:

AlaskanGrizzly

Of course since your last email, I now have an issue with KB.  All of a sudden this morning, I got the following error message:

There was an error!
Use Ctrl + C to copy this error and e-mail it to s13solutions@gmail.com :  

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\13057\Saved Games\Mods\aircraft'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()

at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)

at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.EnumerateFiles(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.FindLuaFile(String _pathToSearch, String _fileNameToFind, String _aircraftName, String _optParam)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.GetDeviceInitPath(String _dcsPath, String _dcsSavedGamePath, String _aircraftName)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.SetupKneeboard(String _dcsPath, String _dcsSavedGamesPath, String aircraftname, ProfileModel _selectedProfile)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.UpdateDefaultKneeboards()

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel..ctor()

at KneeboardBuilder.Views.MainView..ctor()
OK   
------------------------

Have you installed or uninstalled any user mod aircraft lately?

About 5 days ago, I installed version 2.0 of the skyhawk.  Since I installed it, everything worked fine until this morning.

For me, the Kneeboard Builder works fine, even with User Mod Aircrafts:

FyL2sKr.jpg

Using latest DCS openbeta.

But I can't get it to work with either A-4E-C nor the VNAO_T45 😧

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

On 1/10/2022 at 8:36 AM, sobe said:

About 5 days ago, I installed version 2.0 of the skyhawk.  Since I installed it, everything worked fine until this morning.

I'll have to look into those mods, but for now you can disable using Kneeboard Builder for user mods by opening the KneeboardBuilder.exe.config file in a text editor and change the UserMods key value to 'False'.