Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

I believe it's 'Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Kneeboard\AH-64D_BLK_II'. Doesn't get created as default, for me anyway.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yep, same here. In fact, my app crashes when I try to do anything AH-64 related. 

Have to resort to the manual method!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

15 minutes ago, imacken said:

Yep, same here. In fact, my app crashes when I try to do anything AH-64 related. 

Have to resort to the manual method!

I can get the files prep'd by doing it with another jet, but then the folder contents don't show in DCS Apache

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It works if you manually put the files into the folder I mentioned above.

On 3/19/2022 at 6:23 AM, Florence201 said:

I can't get AH-64D to create kneeboards. What is the correct folder naming convention? The builder has it available, but when i try to create a KB there are no imported files after doing so

Having same issue here. I really need this for putting some pages in for my learning process for Apache that I can use in VR. 

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Don, please see my post above yours to get it working manually.  

3 minutes ago, imacken said:

:thumbup:

Yeah just saw it after posting, thanks much think I got it now! I hope the developer still works on the program and updates it to work normally with the Apache. I make great use of this program as it really helps me in VR to have pages sorted and available on a whim. Helped me a lot in my learning of the Hornet systems.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 10:18 AM, cgrxman said:

Any time I try to browse for files or folders (content or preferences), the program locks up and stops responding.

Gotta do it manually now per Imacken's previous response. At least to get the images into the actual Kneeboard. Would be nice if the program got updated but not sure it gets any attention any more.

• Like 1

Don B

The funny thing is, that it works OK for me, Apache aside, of course.

• Like 1

Here is the error.  The problem seems to be in the line

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\13057\Saved Games\Mods\aircraft'.

which is obviously the wrong location as it leaves out DCS world openbeta.

Here is my kneeboard config file and it has the right location. 

<add key="SavedGamesPath" value="C:\Users\13057\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta" />

So for some reason the program is not picking up the correct line in the config file.  Lost as to what to do.

======================================================================================

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
    <appSettings>
        <add key="DpiSetting" value="150" />
        <add key="DCSpath" value="D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\" />

• Like 1

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I don't think it's supposed to have the 'DCS.Openbeta' in the SavedGamesPath.

here is mine which works perfectly well.

o.jpg

I just double checked and this is my config:

<add key="DCSpath" value="D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\" />

And it works so maybe the difference is not important?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

On 3/20/2022 at 8:03 AM, imacken said:

Could you link your post or elaborate on get it working manually? This is my first time using kneeboard builder and I'm here for the ah-64.

Simply create the necessary folder and let the app do its magic, or something more involved such as creating a kneeboard for a different aircraft then moving it into the ah-64's folder?
Also, could you provide the exact folder name? Is it AH-64D_BLK_II or AH-64D?

1 minute ago, Jusif said:

... This is my first time using kneeboard builder and I'm here for the ah-64.
...  or something more involved such as creating a kneeboard for a different aircraft then moving it into the ah-64's folder?

For me, the only way to get it to work was using the KBuilder to generate the kneeboard for another aircraft that I don't use (I chose the L-39), and then move the resulting kneeboard files onto the Apache Kneeboard folder.

1 minute ago, Jusif said:

It's  AH-64D_BLK_II

kneeboard.jpg

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

9 minutes ago, Jusif said:

Could you link your post or elaborate on get it working manually? This is my first time using kneeboard builder and I'm here for the ah-64.

Simply create the necessary folder and let the app do its magic, or something more involved such as creating a kneeboard for a different aircraft then moving it into the ah-64's folder?

I wasn't talking about using Kneeboard Builder. Just drop the files in manually to C:\Users\xxx\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\kneeboard\AH-64D_BLK_II.

Or, I guess you could create one in a different aircraft location using the app and then copy it across, but that seems more complex.

49 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

For me, the only way to get it to work was using the KBuilder to generate the kneeboard for another aircraft that I don't use (I chose the L-39), and then move the resulting kneeboard files onto the Apache Kneeboard folder.

It's  AH-64D_BLK_II

kneeboard.jpg

45 minutes ago, imacken said:

I wasn't talking about using Kneeboard Builder. Just drop the files in manually to C:\Users\xxx\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\kneeboard\AH-64D_BLK_II.

Or, I guess you could create one in a different aircraft location using the app and then copy it across, but that seems more complex.

Cheers, I see them working now. Any other useful kneeboard mods worth looking into once the pages are all generated? I've seen things that look like a tablet, etc. There is not way to leverage any grouping correct? If I have 300 pages of kneeboard pages, I have to navigate through them one by one?

1 hour ago, Jusif said:

There is not way to leverage any grouping correct?

Correct, it is a pity that DCS doesn´t store the Kneeboard Shortcuts for each aircraft from one mission to the next, making them in fact useless. 

1 hour ago, Jusif said:

If I have 300 pages of kneeboard pages, I have to navigate through them one by one?

Yes, but why would you have 300 pages on a kneeboard? .. I can only imagine a real pilot walking to the aircraft with a phonebook attached to his leg 🤔  ... On my kneeboard I usually have just the Procedures, not the whole manual, 30 pages at the most. If the mission is of my own making I also put inside the MIZ a more detailed and illustrated Mission Briefing, that will be added by DCS to the usual Saved Games kneeboard.

du74ToL.jpg

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

3 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Correct, it is a pity that DCS doesn´t store the Kneeboard Shortcuts for each aircraft from one mission to the next, making them in fact useless. 

Yes, but why would you have 300 pages on a kneeboard? .. I can only imagine a real pilot walking to the aircraft with a phonebook attached to his leg 🤔  ... On my kneeboard I usually have just the Procedures, not the whole manual, 30 pages at the most. If the mission is of my own making I also put inside the MIZ a more detailed and illustrated Mission Briefing, that will be added by DCS to the usual Saved Games kneeboard.

du74ToL.jpg

Where do you get this nice iphone 3gs border for your kneeboard?

22 minutes ago, Jusif said:

Where do you get this nice iphone 3gs border for your kneeboard?

the screenshot is old, that’s what dcs 2.1 kneeboard looked like …. The current one is uglier but more functional: resizable, move able and supports paging with the mouse.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

the screenshot is old, that’s what dcs 2.1 kneeboard looked like …. The current one is uglier but more functional: resizable, move able and supports paging with the mouse.

Ahhhh I was wondering if it was the older version looking nicer than these days. What are you flying these days, sir?

2 hours ago, Jusif said:

Ahhhh I was wondering if it was the older version looking nicer than these days. What are you flying these days, sir?

🙂 here is a more recent screenshot:

rnpBoKF.jpg

Apologies if this has been answered, but I've searched the thread.  Haven't found a solution that works.

Been using Kneeboard Builder for years, and it's essential to how I fly DCS.  Tried to fire it up tonight, and I get the following error:

---------------------------
There was an error!
Use Ctrl + C to copy this error and e-mail it to s13solutions@gmail.com :  

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: path

at System.IO.Directory.GetParent(String path)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.BackupAircraftDefaultGroups(String _origPath)

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.LoadAircraftData()

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel.Initilization()

at KneeboardBuilder.Viewmodels.MainViewModel..ctor()

at KneeboardBuilder.Views.MainView..ctor()
OK   

I've tried the following:

* Deleting and redownloading latest version (1.8.0.6)

* Repairing DCS - fast mode 

* Repairing DCS - slow and thorough

Any ideas on what else can be done to get Kneeboard Builder working again?

I don't know the answer, but I find it strange that it works OK for some people - like me - and yet others get this kind of error.