Kneeboard Builder (windows app)

AlaskanGrizzly

7 hours ago, imacken said:

I don't know the answer, but I find it strange that it works OK for some people - like me - and yet others get this kind of error.

What's particularly strange is that I don't think anything major changed, after using it for years.  I did install the VRUX mod for the Tomcat  a few days ago (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313661/).  I think I used Kneeboard Builder after installing successfully, but not 100% certain. 

I've done the complete Repair (including the slow and complete version of the process), which I thought would remove any lingering effects of that mod.  Yet I still get the error.  Not sure what to do now.  

9 hours ago, Istari6 said:

Any ideas on what else can be done to get Kneeboard Builder working again?

On the Kneeboard Builder folder there is a file "KneeboardBuilder.exe.Config"  can you attach it here to give it a look?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

19 minutes ago, Istari6 said:

Thanks Rudel,

Here's the file.

The only thing that is diferent from mine, is the saved games path ...  can you change the KB Preferences so that it includes the whole path:

rxVxM9W.jpg

Seems that it currently lacks the  "DCS.Openbeta"  part.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Well, mine works perfectly well, and it doesn't have the full path either.

s1.jpg

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Guys,

I tried editing the path to include the full directory for Saved Games, still same error :(.  Thanks for checking your file to compare.  I really like Kneeboard Builder, but not sure what else to do.  Are there any other kneeboard apps you've used that you can recommend?  I'm just starting the F-14A Tomcat, and updating my procedures regularly is key to making progress.  

4 hours ago, Istari6 said:

Guys,

I tried editing the path to include the full directory for Saved Games, still same error :(.  Thanks for checking your file to compare.  I really like Kneeboard Builder, but not sure what else to do.  Are there any other kneeboard apps you've used that you can recommend?  I'm just starting the F-14A Tomcat, and updating my procedures regularly is key to making progress.  

Have you checked to see if your link is still set to "Run this program as an administrator"?

Windows updates sometimes change this.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Again, that may work, but I don't run it as admin and no probs here.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

7 hours ago, Captain Orso said:

Have you checked to see if your link is still set to "Run this program as an administrator"?

Windows updates sometimes change this.

Good thought.  There have been some Windows updates lately, that would make sense as a cause.  Unfortunately, I just tried running it as an Administrator, same error.  Went into Properties, set to run as Administrator, tried again.  Same error.  

Yep, as suspected.  It's a weird one.

46 minutes ago, Istari6 said:

...  Unfortunately, I just tried running it as an Administrator, same error.  Went into Properties, set to run as Administrator, tried again.  Same error.  

Here is a backup of my KB (minus the config file) .. in case you want to try it instead of yours:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26iNBED2LvdeBjLH1n0g?e=GkhQoB

5 minutes ago, slowmover said:

Hey mates. When i try to make a kneeboard for apache the app crashes. Does anyone have the same problem?

Sorry, but have you read any of the last couple of pages here?  It's the same for everyone.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Here is a backup of my KB (minus the config file) .. in case you want to try it instead of yours:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26iNBED2LvdeBjLH1n0g?e=GkhQoB

Thanks Rudel, I downloaded this and tried it out.  Same error.  So there's something on my end that's causing problems, but I can't figure out what it is, particularly after repairing DCS and uninstalling the few mods I had.  I'm going to look on the User Files section to see if there's another Kneeboard Builder app, although it's too bad since this application worked perfectly for me.  

Thanks Rudel, I downloaded this and tried it out.  Same error.  So there's something on my end that's causing problems, but I can't figure out what it is, particularly after repairing DCS and uninstalling the few mods I had.  I'm going to look on the User Files section to see if there's another Kneeboard Builder app, although it's too bad since this application worked perfectly for me.  
I may be wrong, but I can't really understand what disabling mods and repairing DCS would do. It's a Standalone exe that just reads the DCS modules structure in both core and Saved Games, isn't it?
I'm under the impression that it's similar to a mod manager, only that in handles pngs in the Kneeboard structure.
If I was you, I'd look into the event viewer for Windows, even if it won't really show you anything.
Have you installed all the latest .NET and redistributibals?
Sorry if you said before. 10 or 11?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

On 4/29/2022 at 2:12 PM, MAXsenna said:

may be wrong, but I can't really understand what disabling mods and repairing DCS would do. It's a Standalone exe that just reads the DCS modules structure in both core and Saved Games, isn't it?
I'm under the impression that it's similar to a mod manager, only that in handles pngs in the Kneeboard structure.
If I was you, I'd look into the event viewer for Windows, even if it won't really show you anything.
Have you installed all the latest .NET and redistributibals?
Sorry if you said before. 10 or 11?

Agree it seemed pointless, but other folks earlier in this thread had mentioned that as a possible solution.  Can confirm it didn't help.

I'm using Windows 10.  How would I verify if I have the latest .NET and redistrubatables?  

I've been looking for another way to convert PDFs to DCS Kneeboard.  There's a newer utility called KBQuick, but it only allows RTF and cutting in images.  My DCS aircraft kneeboards are created in Evernote, saved as PDFs then I was using Kneeboard Builder to import.  I'm open to other ways to get PDFs into Kneeboard format.  I've emailed the creator of Kneeboard Builder per the email address on his homepage, but nothing yet.  Assume he's no longer supporting it.

Any other suggestions I can try?  I'm stuck, and not being able to import kneeboards really makes learning aircraft much harder.  

Agree it seemed pointless, but other folks earlier in this thread had mentioned that as a possible solution.  Can confirm it didn't help.
I'm using Windows 10.  How would I verify if I have the latest .NET and redistrubatables?  
I've been looking for another way to convert PDFs to DCS Kneeboard.  There's a newer utility called KBQuick, but it only allows RTF and cutting in images.  My DCS aircraft kneeboards are created in Evernote, saved as PDFs then I was using Kneeboard Builder to import.  I'm open to other ways to get PDFs into Kneeboard format.  I've emailed the creator of Kneeboard Builder per the email address on his homepage, but nothing yet.  Assume he's no longer supporting it.
Any other suggestions I can try?  I'm stuck, and not being able to import kneeboards really makes learning aircraft much harder.  

Apologies, was really a rhetorical question as it seems that's the go to way for people having issues with apps, mods, DCS itself these days. Instead of finding the issues, one re-installs everything.

Kneeboard Builder website says .Net 5
So just download and install latest version.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=30653

As for the dev, it isn't really that long since he responded in this thread. He certainly doesn't come off as having thrown in the towel in his post from Jan 14th or when he made a long comment.

Anyway. Where are you running the exe from/unzipped the program from?
Just to check, unless you already do.
Can you unzip to the desktop like in the video?
What user aircraft mods do you have?
What AV solution?
I have a feeling this could be something either about access rights, issue with a mod that's not recognised (for lack of better words), or AV somehow blocking it. Or of course .Net
Did you have a look in Event Viewer?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Hello,

I am using a 49" ultrawide screen @3840x1080 resolution along with VR. DCS res is set at 3840x1080. When I create a profile at this resolutions the kneeboard is off limits in VR. I tried to relocate it manually in the making of the profile but still it was not practical since what I see and what I get is totally different.

To workaround the problem I switch to 1920x1080 res in DCS. Then built again. It is ok. But obviously that is not my intention. 

Edited by Europa

5 hours ago, KevyKevTPA said:

Is this app compatible with the Viacom Kneeboard?  

Couple of hours ago I started a topic about this as when I build my custom kneeboards with KBB Vaicom Pro KB was missing. Vaicom KB was missing but there was a new extra KB page, dark grey, saying something about "to load batteries...bla bla something".

With some advice from a fellow simmer "MAXSenna" I removed everything about KBB, did an integrity check of DCS. Re-build KBB. Started Vaicom Pro and started DCS. Now everything looks fine. and the "to load batteries..." page is no more appearing as well.

Though still don't have any idea why I had isseus on the first place. What is causing it? What solved the problem but now somehow it is working fine. So I can confirm that KBB is working along with Vaicom Kneeboard.

Edited by Europa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KevyKevTPA said:

Is this app compatible with the Viacom Kneeboard?  

Absolutely, although the options for changing the position and scale of the keyboard are no longer compatible with DCS. (So don't try to use them!) The VAICOM kneeboard is just a single kneeboard page that goes inside the regular kneeboard. KBB builds other static keyboard images that also go in the regular kneeboard.

BTW, it's vAIcom, not vIAcom.

5 minutes ago, Europa said:

Couple of hours ago I started a topic about this as when I build my custom kneeboards with KBB Vaicom Pro KB was missing. Vaicom KB was missing but there was a new extra KB page, dark grey, saying something about "to load batteries...bla bla something".

With some advice from a fellow simmer "MAXSenna" I removed everything about KBB, did an integrity check of DCS. Re-build KBB. Started Vaicom Pro and started DCS. Now everything looks fine. and the "to load batteries..." page is no more appearing as well.

Though still don't have any idea why I had isseus on the first place. What is causing it? What solved the problem but now somehow it is working fine. So I can confirm that KBB is working along with Vaicom Kneeboard.

The "load the batteries" graphic has been seen before and represents some kind of corruption of the DCS installation causing DCS to not find the proper graphics. A DCS repair usually fixes it. I don't think it has anything to do with VAICOM. However if your DCS was corrupted I'm not surprised that the VAICOM kneeboard also disappeared. In any event, excellent that you got it working!

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

• 2 months later...

error.png

Very frustrating... everytime I just finished my kneeboard, flew with it... sometimes shut everything down and then want to restart the program for a quick flight: crash.

edit: moving everything that has been added out the the main directory and then just back in helps. But that cant be the solution.

Edited by void68

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, bones1014 said:

Any idea what this error means?
null

No idea .. do you have the Mirage F1?