ON/OFF vs Momentary toggles?

Question for all you pit-builders or anyone with their own control panels & switchboards.

When using physical ON/OFF switches (that flip between two fixed-positions) with a flight sim, do you guys find it a pain to have to re-set these switches to proper positions every time you restart a game or re-spawn? i.e. let's say you do an air-start, you'd have to memorize what the default air-start switch positions are for that plane, and make sure your physical switches are set for those before you start the game. Otherwise your switches might say "OFF" when they're really "ON" and you have to flip them twice.

If you had your druthers, would you use all momentary toggles instead? So at any time you could press the switch ON or OFF and not have to worry about this? Or do you prefer the realism of having an ON/OFF toggle just like the one in a real cockpit?

Just curious! Might influence what panel I buy in the near future.

Not sure if I understand that right. So editing this code in just makes the ON position of your switch only flip the cockpit switch ON instead of reading it as a toggle command for both ON and OFF?

I don't think that really addresses my question, though.

Well, you should be more innovative with your search queries. There are a lot of threads here about your request:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89226

Sorry, maybe I'm not communicating this properly. I've seen that thread, that's not what I'm getting at. I'm asking "what's your personal preference?"

If you have A) a panel with a bunch of momentary two-position switches, your switch will never be in the "wrong position" compared to the state of your virtual plane. At any time, you just push "UP" and the in-game switch goes up, or "DOWN" and the in-game switch goes down, and your physical switch resets to center.

6619.Jpg

But if you have B) a panel with a bunch of two-fixed-positions ON/OFF switches, then you have to worry about what your switch positions are before you load up your mission. For example, if you crashed or quit your game during your last flight, you have to remember to set the Generator switch to OFF before loading your new game, just so you can flick it back ON again during a proper engine start-up.

on-off-switch.jpg

A) Seems more convenient for flight sim purposes, but I guess B) is more realistic in a tactile/visual sense. So which do you prefer?

I haven't seen any other threads about this.

Edited by SeaQuark
added images

I interface through Helios for 3 position switches. It can be done in the LUA file but since they changed the input file structure I'm not sure how to do it.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

This in-game options does what you want... before game starts it reads physical position of your switches in cockpit and sets position of those switches in game to match. Now I've never tried this (and I've taken out all my physical switches out) and I am not sure if ON-OFF switch would work (can game read the OFF state of the switch?), but for sure the ON-ON switch should work (whichever position switch is in, there will be some control in game mapped to it and game can read it).

By the way, momentary switch OFF-(ON) is good for commands that are toggled (switch in game toggles between up and down position), but if you have in game switch that has 2 commands for each position (no toggle) they won't work... and in this case you would need the ON-ON switch.

Screen_140831_114821.jpg.2b538da4dfb78c730dc9bf2677e9c2ed.jpg

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

Well, you should be more innovative with your search queries. There are a lot of threads here about your request:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89226

And you should be more helpful when new people showup to our forum...

That was F-O-R-U-M... Please look it up so you understand what exactly that is and what to expect from people that frequent one.. (Namely questions)

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

This in-game options does what you want... before game starts it reads physical position of your switches in cockpit and sets position of those switches in game to match. Now I've never tried this (and I've taken out all my physical switches out) and I am not sure if ON-OFF switch would work (can game read the OFF state of the switch?), but for sure the ON-ON switch should work (whichever position switch is in, there will be some control in game mapped to it and game can read it).

By the way, momentary switch OFF-(ON) is good for commands that are toggled (switch in game toggles between up and down position), but if you have in game switch that has 2 commands for each position (no toggle) they won't work... and in this case you would need the ON-ON switch.

Awesome, thank you! I didn't know that existed. I'll try that out with my ON/OFF and multi-position switches, see if it works.

Before Flying, i go thru all my buttons to make sure they are in default position.

I suggest you make a checklist according to situation. Couldn't be more real ;) I don't do air start but I assume i should help. Take a few seconds in the P51 - But may be painfull for some others.

This in-game options does what you want...

Well that's going to make things alot easier...

thanks.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground