TM warthog for A2A?

I am looking for a replacement for my Logitech joystick as it doesn't have that many functions. I was considering the saitek x55 but from the reviews it seems to be plagued with quality issues. I am left with the warthog (I don't want CH because I don't like their throttles), but it seems that most people find it less useful when flying A2A jets like the F-15 or Su-27. Is that true?

I was considering using a one hat for trim, another for moving the target box in BVR, and another for radar slewing. Is doing that possible?

...but it seems that most people find it less useful when flying A2A jets like the F-15 or Su-27. Is that true?

Huh????? NEVER heard any of that at all... I use my WH for ALL my flying. From helo's to WW-I aircraft to the 737. It's a great HOTAS.

I was considering using a one hat for trim, another for moving the target box in BVR, and another for radar slewing. Is doing that possible?

Sure.

The only complaint, along those lines, that I have ever heard, is from people who want/miss rotary controls on the throttle.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The only complaint, along those lines, that I have ever heard, is from people who want/miss rotary controls on the throttle.

That's what I read, but tbh I do not know what rotary controls are (google didn't help me out a lot), what are they mostly used for? How much does one lose if they're not there?

TM warthog for A2A?

They are dials you can roll with your thumb, I had them on the two X55's I sent back (quality issues) and they were cool but far from necessary. Outside of using it for FOV zoom, I don't know what they would be used for. I definitely don't miss them.

I sent the X55's back, got the Warthog and never looked back.

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

They are dials you can roll with your thumb, I had them on the two X55's I sent back (quality issues) and they were cool but far from necessary. Outside of using it for FOV zoom, I don't know what they would be used for. I definitely don't miss them.

I sent the X55's back, got the Warthog and never looked back.

Hehe, thanks for the help. The number of times I've read that is what has made me run away from the x55

Rotary controls are usually used in real aircraft to control the radar antena elevation. The F-16 (not sure about many other types but f-15 and f-18 only have 1 rotary) has 2 rotaries on the throttle one is the "radar antena elevation knob" the other is rather misleadingly called "range knob", to be fair it does control the range (zoom) of the TGP when the TGP is SOI and when the FCR is SOI and in GM or GMT it controls the radar gain. I can't recall of the top of my head but I think the Range knob has no AA function whatsoever.

I don't miss the rotaries in say for ex. falcon bms, because the warthig has more functions than the f-16 hotas and the game easely allows those functions to be programed on a HAT. So the rotary is a nice touch for fedility's sake but not essential.

I don't miss it in DCS because FC aircraft commands I would put on an HOTAS don't come near to use all the HATs and buttons on the warthog. Plus you can use the Inc/Dec resistance knob on the base of the warthog to controll the Antenna Elevation if you want. It's not on the throttle levers per say, but close enough.

I might miss it when F-18C or eventually an F-15 on DCS level comes about because the throttles part of the HOTAS on those aircraft are preaty much the same as on the A-10C (some controlls change position) but the left throttle lever on them also has a rotary above the pinkie switch. Still you can use the resistance knob just like before. On the other hand if you rather have the zoom view (like me) assigned to that knob even though you will be missing one analog controll on the throttle you will have pleanty remaining on the stick, since those aircraft sticks have less HATs/buttons than the warthog does. So all in all, you should have no lack of controlls to assign all the functions you should need.