Can't figure this mission out, can someone help?

VAF [136] Striker

I've been pulling my hair out on this one. I'm new to mission building and I just built this mission. There are 6 triggers that should state that the hangers (bunkers) have been destroyed one at a time and "all" after all are destroyed. There's also a transport vehicle group and after all 6 vehicles have been destroyed you should get a message. The other triggers tell you if you destroy the transport airplanes successfully.

First problem is that I get the message stating "good job taking out the flying transports" after I destroy one of the hangers (bunkers) for chemical weapons.

Second problem is that I get the message stating that the vehicles have been destroyed so that part works OK but right away after that I get a message stating that they made it to their safe zone at the airport.

I'm very confused and don't know what I'm doing wrong so any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, I added the MIST LUA file into the beginning of the file to test it out but it's not being used currently. I'm still reading up on how to use it.

Edited by 75th-VFS-Striker

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've been pulling my hair out on this one. I'm new to mission building and I just built this mission.

Welcome to the joys of mission building.

First problem is that I get the message stating "good job taking out the flying transports" after I destroy one of the hangers (bunkers) for chemical weapons.

This is probably due to having the Task type set to "ON DESTROY", these parameters are game global, ie it means that anytime any unit is destroyed be it on your side or the other then do this event, not what you want, leave this set to no event, and put under the conditions field "UNIT DEAD = UNIT1" or "GROUP DEAD = GROUP1"

Second problem is that I get the message stating that the vehicles have been destroyed so that part works OK but right away after that I get a message stating that they made it to their safe zone at the airport.

Not sure on that one, you had transports destroyed = message that they were dead, so it looked ok to me.

You also had it correct that if they made it to the transport safe zone = message mission failed.

Maybe you killed them as the just reached their safe zone.

I'm very confused and don't know what I'm doing wrong so any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, I added the MIST LUA file into the beginning of the file to test it out but it's not being used currently. I'm still reading up on how to use it.

Mist setup looks ok, but I have had problems with that implementation with mist not running, so I prefer to use the initialization box at the bottom.

, upgraded it to mist3.3 also, also dont know why you had delayed starts on the clients aircraft, changed that also.

I have made what I consider the correct way to do things, but havent tested your mission, I will leave that to you, good luck with it.

Find the fixed mission attached,

Cheers, Ian

Co6 Strategic Strike pt2 Chemical Storage_fix.miz

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Wow, thank you for the quick response. I'll check it out this morning. BTW, why do they have in there "On Destroy" as the default setting? It seemed logical to me that it would be the normal setting. What do you use that for normally.

Also, when I tested the mission I was destroying the ground vehicles about half way through their route so they never made it to the safe zone. Maybe the "On Destroy" problem was messing that up too.

I had the flights delayed intentionally because some times it takes the AI flights a little time to stabilize but I'll leave it the way you set it for now.

I do have another question though, is there a way to get the AI aircraft to manage their fuel usage better with MIST. The F15 pilots especially are always on the burner and they run out of fuel all the time.

Edited by 75th-VFS-Striker

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You need to put realistic waypoint altitudes that can be reached without burners. As for engagement, dogfighting etc. it is out of our hands, as long as AI is calculating its own actions...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

You need to put realistic waypoint altitudes that can be reached without burners. As for engagement, dogfighting etc. it is out of our hands, as long as AI is calculating its own actions...

Even with the AI that are led by a human are a real problem. They guy we fly with leads a group of F15's and they are always on the burner regardless of altitude and even if they're flying normally (not engaged). The AI just suck at fuel management. I've run into the same problem myself when I've done some of the caned missions. They always run out of fuel half way through the flight.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow, thank you for the quick response. I'll check it out this morning. BTW, why do they have in there "On Destroy" as the default setting? It seemed logical to me that it would be the normal setting. What do you use that for normally.

As for it "on Destroy" being the default, mine has always been defaulting to "No Event", maybe you cloned one that you had already changed.

I can't think of any particular use for it myself, if anything it might be best used with a lua script to do some action under that condition.

ie, I was trying to use the "On take control" to count up the amount of human players in a mission and "On Pilot Dead" to decrease that count so that I could vary the amount of AI flights that would assist in the mission.

(I prefer to have missions with full compliment of aircraft to do mission, so at mission start, if it requires 8 x ka50 and 8 x a-10c and only 1 or 2 humans fly the muliplayer mission then it would enable 3 x 4 unit AI flights to help with the fight.) If pilots die / leaves or new ones join, then those AI flights would be recalled and land.

Unfortunately this is a little bit past my capabilities, and would be best achieved with Lua code I think, but I have done a simpler version of counting how many human pilots are flying the ka-50s and how many are flying the A-10c's using the flags.

I have experimented with additions to one of Dragons "THE DAM" mission and have it working quite well. For testing the mission to see if it works, all I have to do now is not get in a plane at all, and a flight of 4 x ka50 and 4 x a10-c AI will do the whole mission, (whilst I watch with the camera to see if all the triggers happen), If any of the AI flight groups are killed or run out of fuel or ammo and RTB a replacement group is automatically generated and sent out to complete the mission (I use someone elses fine Lua script for that).

If 1-4 humans jumps into the ka-50, then only one AI group of 4 x ka50 will backup.

If 5-8 humans jump into the Ka-50, the no AI groups are used.

same for the A-10c groups

Also, when I tested the mission I was destroying the ground vehicles about half way through their route so they never made it to the safe zone. Maybe the "On Destroy" problem was messing that up too.

Possibly

I do have another question though, is there a way to get the AI aircraft to manage their fuel usage better with MIST. The F15 pilots especially are always on the burner and they run out of fuel all the time.

Not much good with mist, so I cant help you there, sorry, and that fuel usage issue has been noted before, particularly on the SU-25t, it might be across all AI aircraft and as far as I know there was no solution.

Cheers, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Even with the AI that are led by a human are a real problem. They guy we fly with leads a group of F15's and they are always on the burner regardless of altitude and even if they're flying normally (not engaged). The AI just suck at fuel management. I've run into the same problem myself when I've done some of the caned missions. They always run out of fuel half way through the flight.

As good as DCS and the mission editor is, there will be times when it is also broken, and things just don't work the way they should. I and others encounter bugs on a regular basis when fiddling with missions, it is even more disheartening to have a perfectly working mission and then do a DCS update and mission no longer works properly, and then have to figure out what is causing the problem.

I wish you all the best with you missions and applauded all those mission designers out there that continue to persist.

Cheers, Ian.

DCS Tech Support.

As for it "on Destroy" being the default, mine has always been defaulting to "No Event", maybe you cloned one that you had already changed.

You are correct. I had changed one of them and because I was getting so frustrated with things not working, I just kept making the same mistake over and over without knowing it. The default is "no event". Anyhow, thanks again for your help. We ran the mission last night with 6 of us and everything worked perfect. I did change some of the parameters. I got rid of all the messages stating the hangers being destroyed each time in favor of just one message when all were gone. Same with what you did with the transport planes.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You are correct. I had changed one of them and because I was getting so frustrated with things not working, I just kept making the same mistake over and over without knowing it. The default is "no event". Anyhow, thanks again for your help. We ran the mission last night with 6 of us and everything worked perfect. I did change some of the parameters. I got rid of all the messages stating the hangers being destroyed each time in favor of just one message when all were gone. Same with what you did with the transport planes.

You are most welcome, it does take a little while to figure out how each thing works in the mission editor, but these forums are full of helpful and knowlegable people.

Don't forget to use the manual included for the Mission Editor (Page 60 onwards) also provided with DCS World, that explains most things quite well.

..\DCS World\Docs\ DCS User Manual EN.pdf

Best of luck with the next faze of mission designing.

Regards, Ian.

DCS Tech Support.