F-15C Tailhook?

Gonzxor3

Im assuming you used a mod right?

HOW? I wanna do it so bad :O

Yes, basically. I couldn't figure out how to add devices directly to the F-15C, so I added the custom tailhook device to the file that adds kneeboards to airplanes. It brute forces the game to draw the tailhook in the desired position. I also added the tailhook command to the F-15C keyboard input.

I attached the mod in my previous post, but here is a link: http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=103988&d=1409696704

(be aware this mod overwrites some game files, but the download also includes the originals)

The PFM collision model doesn't work properly with aircraft carriers right now, so don't expect to land on one even with a working tailhook. You will just fall through the deck.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It would be nice to have the tailhook working and the ability to call the airfield to have them put at the arresting gear during emergency. There have been moments when landing the F-15 where having something to stop the plane other than the grass at the end of the runway would have been nice. Probably won't be seen until we get a full fidelity F-15 though.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

The tail hook is also used to secure the aircraft during high power engine operations on the ground.

Barriers are normally fix and are always in place. In a few bases, the actually have to move the cable from the barrier to the active runway, but this is done at the beginning of the flying day. Rarely I seen it that the active runway changes and they have to move the cable.

In some bases like Aviano AB and Kunsan AB the barrier system on one of runways was a huge naval chain. So the cable is laid across the runway and it is attached to two huge chains laying on the side of the runway. I am looking for picture now see if it is still that way.

In Holloman AFB, they actually had a net. Not for the F-117, since it had a tail hook, but for the German Tornadoes.

USAF barriers are not used like USN carrier arresting gear. Normally, IIRC, the pilots would use the opposite end for the barrier. For example; if the active runway is 36, the barrier would be closer to the end of that runway or at the beginning of runway 18. Giving pilots a chance to use it during aborted take off and during landing if a emergency occurs.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Yes, basically. I couldn't figure out how to add devices directly to the F-15C, so I added the custom tailhook device to the file that adds kneeboards to airplanes. It brute forces the game to draw the tailhook in the desired position. I also added the tailhook command to the F-15C keyboard input.

I attached the mod in my previous post, but here is a link: http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=103988&d=1409696704

(be aware this mod overwrites some game files, but the download also includes the originals)

The PFM collision model doesn't work properly with aircraft carriers right now, so don't expect to land on one even with a working tailhook. You will just fall through the deck.

And when the bug reports for the F-15C not landing on the deck of the US CVN Carrier start coming in, I'm blaming you :) lol, :megalol:

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 2 weeks later...
Im assuming you used a mod right?

HOW? I wanna do it so bad :O

No mod really needed, like I said, just needs to add the commands. Animation already exists in the current DCS F-15C

Step 1: Add the tailhook keyboard input from Su-33 to F-15C keyboard inputs.

Step 2: In DCS WorldScriptsDatabaseplanes on the F-15C file, add the commands

TakeOffRWCategories =

{

[1] =

{

Name = "AircraftCarrier With Tramplin",

}, -- end of [1]

}, -- end of TakeOffRWCategories

Just like it shows in the Su-33 lua.

Just simple copy and paste, hardly worth of being called a mod. If you make a mistake a repair will restore the damaged files.

Edited by Iberian
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why do you guys want the hooks so badly? Just curious since they are two threads on the subject.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Got a question bout modding. Is this only a feature to experience offline or are mods allowed online too?

Edit: Reading posts above Im not sure if this is a mod or not but my question still remain :)

So far I've only noticed the 104th server doesn't let you in with modded files. Other servers its fine, as long as you don't mod to cheat.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It would be nice to have the tailhook working and the ability to call the airfield to have them put at the arresting gear during emergency. There have been moments when landing the F-15 where having something to stop the plane other than the grass at the end of the runway would have been nice. Probably won't be seen until we get a full fidelity F-15 though.

Yeah I like the idea too. Not sure if they would do it though, since I'm not quite sure if the Caucasus airports use that feature...

I've mostly seen that in NATO airports

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

may be the next update for f15c they will add it in

Doubt it, as the "Mod" implies that the F-15C is a Russian Carrier Borne Aircraft,

It's a Jury rig, not a feature, not a fix.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

So far I've only noticed the 104th server doesn't let you in with modded files. Other servers its fine, as long as you don't mod to cheat.

I dont want to fight a f18 with f15 pysics or anything like that, are the unmodded servers populare? I just want the ''real'' deal :)

Edit: I dont seem to get any kind of notification when Im beeing quoted.. Where can I see a notification on this?

Edited by AceRevo

guys, would you mind posting a real life video when f-15 crew do a preflight tailhook check/test ?

thanks

Extrememly rare. The only time it's really required is when it's part of preflight checks for an FCF(functional check flight), which are very rarely done any more as most of the requirements for them are gone. And that's not really for the issue of possibly needing it, it's part of preflight checks on and FCF to ensure the DC bus is getting powered correctly off the emergency generator(all sorts of abnormal checks are done for FCFs). They are dropped for maintenance, at times, but not normally something you are going to see on preflight checks.