Unbearable external missile noise

eFirehawk

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, so I'd like to ask what are your views on this.

When I launch a missle and press F6 to check it, if the camera faces the rear aspect of the missile there's an unbearably loud hissing sound. Which makes looking at the missile's external camera a big hassle, my speakers almost explode. I understand missiles traveling at high speeds would make a lot of noise and the sound effect described above makes a lot of sense in case of an AMRAAM lauch for example, but having those huge jumps in volume from cockpit/plane/missile is a bit inconvenient.

Does anyone else notice this and knows a good solution/workaround?

Pentium II 233Mhz | 16MB RAM | 14.4kb Modem | 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive | Windows 3.1 with TM Warthog & TrackIR 5

What you describe is caused by the sonic shock-wave ;)

Nothing wrong about it at all.

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for your reply :)

Yes, I understand, as I wrote above the sound makes sense. However what I would like to know is if the major sound blast in my bedroom is really necessary when I change cameras. I understand that missiles are much louder than cockpit avionics, but I don't think I need the actual difference in dB simulated in my apartment :megalol:

BTW, off-topic, but I have a G73JW too, I hope yours is holding up well, I still love mine, even after all these years :D

Pentium II 233Mhz | 16MB RAM | 14.4kb Modem | 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive | Windows 3.1 with TM Warthog & TrackIR 5

It should probably be made into a sound option yeah. I don't have a solution for it, but I know what you mean. Same goes for the rocket motor as well.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

It should probably be made into a sound option yeah. I don't have a solution for it, but I know what you mean. Same goes for the rocket motor as well.

I've had this issue for years as well. Wondered if it was my soundcard or something. I still think it might be as it starts out immensely loud when I flip to the F6 view, then will sometimes drop back down to a more manageable sound level. Seems to only be with the F6 view. All other sound regimes are stable.

Really blows people out of the room, though.

It shouldnt be that lowed, i have all my sonund settings pretty low, and the shockwave sound is several magnitudes above everything else.

HVAR rockets of P-51 also suffer from this issue, and these old lumps are certainly NOT supersonic. Funny thing is the hissing sound works even when their propellant burns out and they turn into watermelons :D.

Seems to be some sort of a simplified sound modelling for all missiles in DCS.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Maybe it is possible to find the sound file in question and overwrite it with something quieter? Or just lower the sound level in some sound editor like Audacity and resave?

AMD Ryzen 3600, Biostar Racing B850GT3, AMD Rx 580 8Gb, 16384 DDR4 2900, Hitachi 7K3000 2Tb, Samsung SM961 256Gb SSD, Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, Samsung S24F350 24'

I don't get it, tbh. "Immensely loud", "magnitude above other sounds", "sound blast" ... do you guys have your overall sound level cranked all the way up to 11 under windows and your hardware?

I've set all sliders to about max within DCS, but the overall volume (windows) is set to a, "decent" level. Would be way to annoying to fine tune every program and every flash applet on it's own for me ...

my volume is at globally set at 43% and the outside world volume is 73%

everything is nice and quiet, apart from this, it is really loud.

Yeah, I get exactly the same. As soon as you pop out to watch the missile using F6, if you move the viewpoint to rear then my ears get blasted. It's been like that for many versions - I've just got used to waiting until the missile has exhausted its fuel and then swing around to the rear aspect view.

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, so I'd like to ask what are your views on this.

When I launch a missle and press F6 to check it, if the camera faces the rear aspect of the missile there's an unbearably loud hissing sound. Which makes looking at the missile's external camera a big hassle, my speakers almost explode. I understand missiles traveling at high speeds would make a lot of noise and the sound effect described above makes a lot of sense in case of an AMRAAM lauch for example, but having those huge jumps in volume from cockpit/plane/missile is a bit inconvenient.

Does anyone else notice this and knows a good solution/workaround?

Done.

Done.

I've had this issue for years as well. Wondered if it was my soundcard or something. I still think it might be as it starts out immensely loud when I flip to the F6 view, then will sometimes drop back down to a more manageable sound level. Seems to only be with the F6 view. All other sound regimes are stable.

Really blows people out of the room, though.

Done.

Maybe it is possible to find the sound file in question and overwrite it with something quieter? Or just lower the sound level in some sound editor like Audacity and resave?

Done.

I don't get it, tbh. "Immensely loud", "magnitude above other sounds", "sound blast" ... do you guys have your overall sound level cranked all the way up to 11 under windows and your hardware?

I've set all sliders to about max within DCS, but the overall volume (windows) is set to a, "decent" level. Would be way to annoying to fine tune every program and every flash applet on it's own for me ...

my volume is at globally set at 43% and the outside world volume is 73%

everything is nice and quiet, apart from this, it is really loud.

Done.

Yeah, I get exactly the same. As soon as you pop out to watch the missile using F6, if you move the viewpoint to rear then my ears get blasted. It's been like that for many versions - I've just got used to waiting until the missile has exhausted its fuel and then swing around to the rear aspect view.

And Done. 99% of my Sounds I redid cause they didnt satisify me. If you want something else diffrent just PM me. takes less than 5 minutes.

Drag and Drop, Original File is Included in the 'Vahnilla'Folder. Cheers.:pilotfly:

And to the Mod who moved the thread, This is not a BUG or a Problem,

MissleOverRide.rar

Edited by Soulres
Moderater shouldnt of moved the thread