buying new pc, how many cores will edge suport ?

@Pilotasso

4 cores.

@Gloom Demon

Leave all 6 cores active and overclock them. I bet this configuration will win. The question was, do more cores increase the performance. Overclocking is another thing, which can be done in addition. It is not nor or neither.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The result seems to be linear in a certain way, if fps are compared to number of cores. But this has an upper limit, where additional cores do not increase the performance anymore.

Thanks for doing that. It does seem to prove that even beyond 4 cores, extra cores make a difference, with the same increase of 15 fps going from 2-4 (25-40 fps) and 4-6 (40-55 fps) cores.

Even so, I still would expect (from everything I've been told about Intel vs AMD for single-threaded performance) that an Intel i5 quad-core would probably comfortably outperform an AMD 6 or 8-core at the same Ghz (and probably even with the AMD OC'd higher than the Intel) as far as DCS (or any other predominantly single-threaded program) is concerned but I don't have any test data myself to support that.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

I would sign that. I observed the competition between Intel and AMD over the years. Intel was always a bit ahead. We always used Intel for our image generators. But to build up a test environment would let my wallet stall. After thinking a bit over the two cores statement, I have an assumption where this could come from. The two most power requiring threads are the graphics server and the audio server, if I can trust the rumours. Since Windows is not that perfect while spreading the threads evenly, it could happen, that the two threads are given to the same core. Then it would make sense to avoid such a situation by assigning the thread intentionally to different cores. This is an function offered in the Windows API. But the remaining cores would still be used by other simulation threads. As I said, it is an assumption. Probably , anybody else has proved information. I have no hope, that ED would comment this statement.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

~

Anyway, I've just bought myself an i5-4670k and Z97 board, so I'll be able to compare for myself once I get that set up.

Why? the x99's are out... and holy smoke :thumbup: and are they some serious kick***e boards

~

well, what you don't want (for instance), is AA being slammed onto a different thread than the graphics, which can happen quite easily with a generic thread assignment situation which Windows runs... tip: turn off (not set to Auto) "Threaded Optimisation" in the NVidia Control panel. You also want your TIR solution as part of the as the same thread all other graphics bits are running on (yet on its own IRQ).

The ability to permanently assign DCS to its own cores, and outside the cores the actual Operating System is running is an ideal situation. Lett Windows sort itself out , through its thread assignment regime, and have DCS run own its own permanently (physical core 3/4 or 5/6 or 7/8 depending on CPU) assigned cores is the utopia, I think we all seek?

Windows seem to take the dumbed down approach of; use cores starting from Core 0 (physical Core 1) and take it from there

Hopefully E.D.G.E. will accommodate multi-core properly?

Edited by Wolf Rider

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Why? the x99's are out... and holy smoke :thumbup: and are they some serious kick***e boards

I already have 16GB DDR3 and there was £30 cashback on the 4670k, so the CPU and board only cost me £230.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Hi LarryElder,

Back to your original post:

"In about a month i'm buying a new pc, that will be mostly for dcs, and now i'm choosing between i7 4790k and the new i7 5820k. The older one has 4 cores but higher clock speed, and the other has 6 cores, but lower clock. As the edge suppose to be relased this year i hope the fact of how many cores will it support was mentioned already ? Can somebody help me out please ?"

I say go ahead and build:

- Core i7 4790K (it's Bad - Yeah)

- Get a nice Z97 Chipset MOBO that supports your flavor Multi GPU (Crossfire-AMD / SLI-Nvidia). Some MOBOs support either SLI or Crossover. You'll be ready for DCS v2.

- 2nd Quarter 2015 Intel Broadwell CPU and Nvidia Maxwell (maybe 20nm fab by then) GPUs will be a nice Upgrade Path

Other Option - Wait for Intel Skylake (CPU) architecture (maybe later in 2015):

Skylake will support several new technologie that might be worth waiting for:

- DDR4 Memory

- PCIe 4.0 Graphics

- SATA Express (SATAe) SSD Interface

Thank you for your advice! :) After what i have read in this thread i was thinking about i5 4690k, but as i am now thinking about a multi monitor setup i'll probably go with the i7 that you recommend, and msi z97 board. And if someone could help me out with this: If i would like to make a setup with 3 tv's, and bought two graphic cards in sli ( 2 hdmi ports each ), and then i will plug two tv's to one, and the third tv to the other card, then will it work ? Would really appriciate any help! ;)

Hi LarryElder,

Back to your original post:

"In about a month i'm buying a new pc, that will be mostly for dcs, and now i'm choosing between i7 4790k and the new i7 5820k. The older one has 4 cores but higher clock speed, and the other has 6 cores, but lower clock. As the edge suppose to be relased this year i hope the fact of how many cores will it support was mentioned already ? Can somebody help me out please ?"

I say go ahead and build:

- Core i7 4790K (it's Bad - Yeah)

- Get a nice Z97 Chipset MOBO that supports your flavor Multi GPU (Crossfire-AMD / SLI-Nvidia). Some MOBOs support either SLI or Crossover. You'll be ready for DCS v2.

- 2nd Quarter 2015 Intel Broadwell CPU and Nvidia Maxwell (maybe 20nm fab by then) GPUs will be a nice Upgrade Path

Other Option - Wait for Intel Skylake (CPU) architecture (maybe later in 2015):

Skylake will support several new technologie that might be worth waiting for:

- DDR4 Memory

- PCIe 4.0 Graphics

- SATA Express (SATAe) SSD Interface

WOW,, this is really heavy stuff! Nice thread,, but my head is spinning,,, I need better FPS,,, just waiting to see what happens with EDGE and the results before I figure out what I need for upgrade to increase FPS,,,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• 1 month later...
EDGE takes advantage of multi GPUs not multi cores.

Well, EDGE is based on DirectX11 instead of DirectX9. Among other things, D3D11 (which is included in DirectX11) features multithreaded rendering, which takes advantage of multicore cpus when rendering objects, unlike the current D3D9 DCS runs on. So yes, EDGE will take advantage of multicore cpus just because it's based on DirectX11.

It's not just multi gpu support, any engine based on DirectX11 will take much more advantage of multicore cpus than any engine running on DirectX9.

Also, 4 cores from AMD aren't the same as 4 cores from Intel. Intel processors have better performance per core than their AMD counterparts.

Can anyone confirm my assumptions about DirectX11's multithreaded rendering?

Edited by Hardcard

Thank you for your advice! :) After what i have read in this thread i was thinking about i5 4690k, but as i am now thinking about a multi monitor setup i'll probably go with the i7 that you recommend, and msi z97 board. And if someone could help me out with this: If i would like to make a setup with 3 tv's, and bought two graphic cards in sli ( 2 hdmi ports each ), and then i will plug two tv's to one, and the third tv to the other card, then will it work ? Would really appriciate any help! ;)

3 monitors in portrait mode is awesome.

Purchase thin bezel monitors :thumbup: (important)

bf32.jpg

Desktop_2014_10_22_20_39_07_744.thumb.jpg.42765b12e60d1a28f47ef0f5ebcbae43.jpg

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

i7 5820k all the way. Think about if Edge doesn't support all cores.. Windows does. and running all apps on background will run better on the i7 5820k

In general I would agree but at the current premium for DDR4 and compatible motherboard, I have a hard time convincing myself it is worth it. I'm looking at a 4790K with an ASUS Maximus VII Formula mobo, in the next couple of months, instead.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

You will be disappointed. but I suggest to wait for EDGE because your 2600K will do very well. if you spend now get a new generation with two more cores and not the same.

Get your 2600K run at 4.5 and done for now.

Edited by theGozr

Fly it like you stole it..

if you need upgrade it's simple get a second GPU for EDGE.. Big Boost FPS it will and save money for next gen

I already have an ASUS Strix GTX 980 scheduled to replace the 780 tomorrow. How that performs will have a lot to do with what I decide for the near future.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

PLZ let us know how the 980 stack against the 780 on DCS

I did some tests yesterday to have something to compare with.