Suggestion: Option to disable marking yourself on kneeboard map

stray cat

Why not just not use the marking function or just delete the key command so you aren't tempted to use it?

This is not a question of self control. This is about MP and ability to enforce more realistic situations.

It might not be relevant for modern aircraft which has nav systems, but we also have more older birds coming in, which should put lots of nav workload on pilot. It affects situational awareness (more attention to map/terrain, less attention for searching contacts), less precise location callouts when in fight, lengthy regrouping once separated and etc.

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

You are missing the point of the kneeboard. It is a paper map where you mark your position with a marker pen. It is not a GPS.

Yes, but only if you mark it by your self (i.e. if it was possible to use mouse) and not by pressing a key, which auto-magically puts a mark on map at your current location even if you have no clue about your whereabouts.

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.

You are missing the point of the kneeboard. It is a paper map where you mark your position with a marker pen. It is not a GPS.

Yes, but the computer effectively GPS's your position onto the paper map (you don't have to eyeball the terrain, just hit the button).

Maybe it should be a server enforceable option**, but as stray cat could just not hit the button if it were that he personally wanted to fly 'hardcore', and no-one else would be any the wiser, I suspect what he really wants is to be able to watch all those 'softcore' people that currently rely on the kneeboard for navigation suddenly discover that they're lost, while he - used to flying 'hardcore' as he already is - is not.

** for single seater WWII types - the Huey and Mi-8 both have another crew member who's job it is to keep marking those lines for you while you do the actual flying - nothing particularly 'cheatish' about that...

Cheers.

Yes, but only if you mark it by your self (i.e. if it was possible to use mouse) and not by pressing a key, which auto-magically puts a mark on map at your current location even if you have no clue about your whereabouts.

Thats a very good point and I change my mind to this and agree. It would be much better to disable the auto marking and let the pilot use the instrumentation, time, speed and eyeball to set a position on the map. :thumbup:

Option, like any optional setting is fine with me.

But I wouldn't see the marker as magic. More like a good mission commander/co-pilot taking care to plot and track your whereabouts on the map! So he marks the position when you ask him... a voice feedback with "over north Tshkinvali" or "some 5 miles east of Poti" would be cool...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Option, like any optional setting is fine with me.

But I wouldn't see the marker as magic. More like a good mission commander/co-pilot taking care to plot and track your whereabouts on the map! So he marks the position when you ask him... a voice feedback with "over north Tshkinvali" or "some 5 miles east of Poti" would be cool...

This is perfectly true.

For the hardcore lovers I have an easy to implement solution. Use whatever secondary device like monitor, tablet, even a hardcopy paper of the map, together with instrumentation onboard. Refrain yourself to open that cheatish map... I know is hard, but is perfectly working.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

You may simply delete any key mappings to the "mark position" option?!

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)