Das Boot

Yurgon

In the absence of a Movie and TV thread (or if there is one, it hasn't surfaced in a long time), I'd like to take this opportunity to promote "Das Boot" [1], IMHO one of the best (anti) war shows ever made.

There's a movie and a director's cut that are rather well known, but IMO the only real version is a 6-part miniseries with a runtime of around 300 minutes (6 episodes of approximately 50 minutes each).

I watched it on TV when I was a kid, then on DVD a couple of years ago, and now it's been released on Blu-ray. I've just watched the first 4 episodes in a row and the image quality is simply amazing.

If you ever thought about watching "Das Boot", forget about any of the movies, get the miniseries instead, preferably on Blu-ray.

I think Wolfgang Petersen should have retired right after he did that series. It's by far his best work ever.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Boot

vlcsnap-2014-09-14-01h21m11s164.thumb.jpg.55e6b4c63eba9b429c91b6fc7bb046c2.jpg

vlcsnap-2014-09-14-04h38m10s74.thumb.jpg.eec7abac5f32de7d7c5dc8c061810a99.jpg

by far, one of the best war movies.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Is there an English version? My only year of German language education dates back to 1984......I'm rusted up tight. More to the point - is the English version (assuming there is one) any good? Or does one have to rely on sub-titles?

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Subtitles unless there is a sub version on the disk. But that takes away the, IMHO, atmosphere of the film/program.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Certainly one of the best, and probably the best war movie I have wathched.

Funny anectode : I have seen this years ago during a winter and while I was into Silent Hunter III quite heavily. After the end of movie, I've seen myself on bathroom mirror, with a few weeks worth of unshaved beard and thick black coat with a long neck portion, I realized how much do I look like a WW II submariner, and decided "alright, it is time to uninstall Silent Hunter for good" :)

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Is there an English version? My only year of German language education dates back to 1984......I'm rusted up tight. More to the point - is the English version (assuming there is one) any good? Or does one have to rely on sub-titles?

The subtitles work, it's not laden with dialogue to be honest, they didn't chit chat on the subs too much, even at dinner they are typically German with the retorts and one liners. It's in my own opinion the only film that has to be watched in German due to capturing the essence of the entire thing.

Must be watched, it's even more compelling than the anti war sentiment of the vietnam movies, the waste, the horror etc etc. Absolutely genius film of which you never see the like again, like no other war film.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Great Movie, in my personal Top 10.

German release contain English soundtrack and English subtitles.

But, IMHO, this Movie MUST be viewed in German.

I9-9900K@5000, Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Dell UP3216q

VPC MongoosT-50 CM2 Stick, Base (75+100 ext.) & Throttle, BRD KG-13B, adapted to use with Warthog connector, VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals, 2 x Saitek Quadrant,

Pimax Vision 8K Plus + 2 HTC Bases + Index Controllers + DAS

A lot of 3D printed modifications for all above.

Ultimaker 2+; Hardlight Sirius

I get the theme playing in my head from time to time and have to visit it on Youtube, it gives me goosebumps. In my opinion the best theme ever! Really wish to watch the series instead of the movie but that will have to wait a few years so I can forget enough to enjoy the replay.

As for subtitles vs dubbing, I still get nightmares from terrible Russian dubbing and it's like a paradise here in Finland to watch films with subtitles. IMO dubbing always destroys the original atmosphere (let alone the fake accents) no matter how well done. Maybe I don't understand everything from the original language and maybe the subtitle translator doesn't catch every line but it gives a chance for learning a few bits of the language and preserve the atmosphere.

I refuse to ever again watch a dubbed/voice acted movie.

Edited by Griffin

The Dubbed version is actually done quite well, and does seem to fill in little details in the Background that are missed with the subtitles. However, the Subtitled version gives a more authentic atmosphere to the film.. Both Versions are available on the DVD I have.

This thread now has me searching for a Blu-ray remastered version :)

Nate

This thread now has me searching for a Blu-ray remastered version :)

Just bought this one myself:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DL7WSE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I totally agree, the only way to watch this film is the German version, no dubbing.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

It wasn't until after joining, that I watched this. Thank goodness. The TV mini-series, is it available on Blue-ray?

Edit: Can only find the DVD version.

Edited by Axion

Asus Z390 Code XI, i9-9900K, RAM 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance @ 3200, RTX 2080 TI FE, TIR 5, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, HOTAS WH, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, HTC Vive Pro, Win 10 x64

TOMSEENN!!!!!!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

It wasn't until after joining, that I watched this. Thank goodness. The TV mini-series, is it available on Blue-ray?

Edit: Can only find the DVD version.

I posted link already - German Amazon - http://www.amazon.de/Das-Boot-TV-Fassung-Ungek%C3%BCrzte-Fassung/dp/B00LPXQ67M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410688272&sr=8-2&keywords=das+boot

814hcBFDh7L._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by ReviZorro

VPC MongoosT-50 CM2 Stick, Base (75+100 ext.) & Throttle, BRD KG-13B, adapted to use with Warthog connector, VKB MK20-3 Pro Pedals, 2 x Saitek Quadrant,

Apologies Revi for missing your link, thank you Sir!

I hope this will help :)

Regarding the dubbed version, I just switched to English and it's some of the best dubbing work I've ever seen. As far as I can tell (also according to Wikipedia), most of the actors did the English version themselves. Jürgen Prochnow definitely dubbed the KaLeun, and in the small sample I checked all the voices sounded authentic. I'd say it's quite okay to watch the dubbed version.

This Blu-ray was just released in Germany. I checked with Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr and it's not available in any of these markets. I hope it'll be released soon, though, as it already comes with English audio and the image quality is amazing. It doesn't make any sense to hold back on an international release IMO.

Depending on packaging costs, it might be an idea to order from Amazon.de.

Now I'm off for the final two episodes. :)

It is AMAZING , much better than the series and so very interesting

I respectfully disagree, because I think they're both masterpieces. But for an interesting comparison, here's what really happened on that patrol:

http://www.uboatarchive.net/KTB96-7.htm

Those original U-Boot KTBs are great reading IMO! :book:

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• 5 months later...

PS: the TV series of das Boot (original long version) is available in HD on Netflix.

For those who haven´t seen it, you can test netflix for a month (comes free of cost) and watch the movie. Don´t forget to subscribe afterwards. :smilewink::smartass:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders