F-86 Brakes giving you headaches?

Shahdoh

**** EDIT -- Y saturation change no longer required since 1.5.3 update 2. ***********

The F86 beta brakes are a bit touchy, a LOT touchy. I got to playing around with the settings and got them under control. Maybe not perfect but I can now steer the Sabre around without even using the NWS, just differential brakes. With these settings, the brakes will hold till about 87% power, and start to lock up/squeal just barely at full braking when landing.

Give it a shot and let me know how it works out for you.

Go to options -> select controls -> F-86F Real -> Axis Commands -> Wheel Brake Left(and Right) -> Axis Tune and then try these settings:

F86BetaBrakesettings-14Sep2014_zpsb34fdf41.jpg

/Salute

Shahdoh

Edited by Shahdoh

I have the Saitek rudder peddles, they have individual axis for each brake. You wont be able to put left and right brakes (for differential braking) on a single axis. You could assign both brakes to the single axis but then lose out on the individual braking effects. What controller are you assigning brakes too?

Iam still using my old MSFF-wheel pedals for rudder which works fine. I was hoping i could use the twist axis from X52 stick for left/right wheel brakes.

So far i configured the twist axis as a directional axis with the saitek profile editor and assigned the buttons for left/right wheelbrake, which is Lctrl+a and Lalt+a. But im not really satisfied with the results.

Overall i was misunderstanding your post, as i was believing you were talking about one axis for two functions.

edit:

I use rotary knob on X52 for non individual wheelbrake

Edited by Settingz85

Many thanks for sharing this Shahdoh.

Yes the brakes were giving me a headache.

Now feel like I have much more control over the A/C on the ground.

Have stopped sliding it down the runway now.

These settings give you differential braking for taxi.

Going to try this on the P51 at the weekend. That A/C can be a bit of a brakes are on or off affair as well.

Many thanks again.

Thanks Shahdoh good info as usual mate, thx.

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

• 5 months later...

Hiya, sorry for digging up an old thread, but do these settings still work? I finally decided to learn this fine bird properly - and you guessed it, I'm kind of having some problems with skidding after touchdown :unsure:

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Great :)

I have only flown her a few times but remember those unforgiving brakes.

Will adjust accordingly...and the P-51 :)

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 2 weeks later...

I go to fly the sabre on line tonight, power up, full throttle, it doesn't move. Its like there are magical chocks or a parking brake that's on. Any ideas? It's never happened before Monday.

It appears that the left main wheel is not spinning and is locked up. happens in SP and MP mode.

Edited by Thrud

I go to fly the sabre on line tonight, power up, full throttle, it doesn't move. Its like there are magical chocks or a parking brake that's on. Any ideas? It's never happened before Monday.

It appears that the left main wheel is not spinning and is locked up. happens in SP and MP mode.

Yes I experience this too. I also feel little power in the brakes, they feel very light and useless.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using this curve for awhile now and I really didn't like the brakes only holding till about 87%. So I messed with the Y saturation and moved it to 50 instead of 32. Viola, the brakes hold solid at 100% and they still work great in all other aspects.

• 2 months later...

Thank you!

I must have tried two dozen times to figure this out. F-86 brake sensitivity set to your recommendations, and bingo! For whatever reason, you can barely tell you are braking, but you setting was just what I was looking for. I have it bound to my y-axis with a modifier. Your settings worked great. I used for the main bind, instead of left and right, and perfecto! Thanks for taking the time to post.

| A-10C | Ka-50 | F-86 | Mig-15 | P-51D |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Glad the settings are helping out. As far as the brakes not holding to 100% power, that was a choice I made as I am pretty sure most jets, are unable to hold a full stop at full power. I have no hard data on the matter and just used a setting that "felt right". Beautiful thing about being able to customize the controls, able to get it to "Feel right" to each individual. The biggest thing was keeping the brakes from working TOO well and causing the skidding like the default settings do.

/Salute

Shahdoh

• 1 month later...

Hi Shahdoh,

This is re your original posting here. Presently, I cannot see your axis tune values. I do see what looks to be an attachment to the post but I cannot open it. Any help would be appreciated as my Sabre brakes are "driving me nuts."

I may post as a new inquiry in case you do not see this.

Many thanks.

It is always best to not fly too fast or fly too slow. So I fly half fast. :D

• 2 weeks later...

unfortunately still an issue with the Saitek's combat pro pedals. :joystick:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||