Rocket boresight?

Fishbreath

The rockets appear to fire well above the pilot's sight at its default elevation (and the chart on the sight corroborates that). Does anyone know offhand what I have to set the sight to so that it points along the rocket launcher bore axis?

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

Not sure if we're talking the same thing here -- but I similarly noticed that rockets seem to fire out above where the aiming reticle is. As a result, I always have to intentionally put the aiming sight below the target in order to hit it. The reticle seems accurate only when firing from a further distance away.

Use the reticule wheel to set the distance and altitude to the target.

Is there any guideline on how to do the correct setting? And I have been wondering, how does one judge the slant distance to a point on ground ahead? Any rule of thumb?

A setting of about 50 mils leads to what I expect from a fixed gunsight: the rockets impact at the center of the sight at (edit: short) range, and fall below from there. (Shooting with high speed and/or high-angle dives can still make them hit high, but generally, it works well.)

Edit: ~60 mils works a little better, because it brings the zero range in a little closer, and so you end up with rockets at or below the reticule center for most flight regimes.

Edited by Fishbreath

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

it is not that easy to set the distance by this knob. because it is always changing, you are getting closer and further, so do we always have to mess up with this thing while trying to make combat? guns are the best in this situation

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

It is that easy for me: setting the reticule at 60 mils up is more or less like a WWII reflector gunsight. Outside of weird flight paths, the rockets fall below the center of the sight, to a degree determined by speed, altitude, and angle. I've flown enough WWII games and launched enough rockets to judge intuitively where my rockets are going to go if the sight points along the bore axis of the rocket launchers.

Alternative method -- Get used to where the rockets usually land when firing from those distances you tend to prefer firing from, do the necessary offsets, and you're on target most time. No need for fiddling with adjustment in the heat of battle.

It's really not that much pilot load. A 'battle zero' like that is a bad choice from a platform whose movements have a major effect on the flight of the projectiles, especially when we don't have a good sense of depth. The pilot sight is set up like I want it for the miniguns. I don't see anything wrong or inauthentic with setting it up the same way for the rockets.