Looking at new systems, looking for advice!

Hi everyone, the system I'm running at the moment is pretty pants when it comes to running DCS and I've been wanting to upgrade for some time. I saw a budget system which is within my price range but wanted to know what you guys thought of it and how it might perform in DCS.

To give you a comparison, my current system is as follows:

Core i3 oc'd to 4.2Ghz

4Gb RAM

Nvidia GTX460 with about 640mb of RAM

Win 7 HP

System I'm looking at:

Z96 chipset motherboard

Core i5 4690K at 3.5Ghz

8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz

GTX750 1Gb (or maybe the ti with 2Gb)

Seagate 500Gb 7200RPM HDD

I don't have the time to build my own system so looking at buying one online, used Overclockers a lot and always had good service with them. Only thing I was thinking is that it lists this system spec with a 450W PSU to me that seems a little on the low side?

On the whole though how do you think this system will cope currently and in the future?

Hi everyone, the system I'm running at the moment is pretty pants when it comes to running DCS and I've been wanting to upgrade for some time. I saw a budget system which is within my price range but wanted to know what you guys thought of it and how it might perform in DCS.

To give you a comparison, my current system is as follows:

Core i3 oc'd to 4.2Ghz

4Gb RAM

Nvidia GTX460 with about 640mb of RAM

Win 7 HP

System I'm looking at:

Z96 chipset motherboard

Core i5 4690K at 3.5Ghz

8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz

GTX750 1Gb (or maybe the ti with 2Gb)

Seagate 500Gb 7200RPM HDD

I don't have the time to build my own system so looking at buying one online, used Overclockers a lot and always had good service with them. Only thing I was thinking is that it lists this system spec with a 450W PSU to me that seems a little on the low side?

On the whole though how do you think this system will cope currently and in the future?

Good system but if possible I would go with a 770, an SSD, no HDD and don't worry about 450W.

Actually looking at some other websites now, the system I linked above works out at £700 once you beef up the GPU to the 2gb ti version and they charge full retail price for windows. Found another sites called dinopc.com and they're doing a spec which is much better for just shy of £900

CPU: i5 4690k (with Zalman cooler)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5

RAM: 8Gb Corsair 2133mhz (other system was only 1600mhz)

GPU: GTX770 2Gb

SSD: Corsair "neutron" 128GB SSD

HDD: 1Tb standard 7200RPM job

Plus it comes in a nice looking corsair case with LED's instead of a plain black midi case. Just unsure if I can save that much up before my current rig becomes useless for playing DCS.

I'm also looking to buy a system to run DCS at max settings.

I'm a mac user so don't know too much about PCs. However, I've been told to check out Overclockers where I spotted the following system. Does this seem good enough to run DCS at decent settings?

CPU: i5 4690K 3.5Ghz (3.9 Turbo)

GPU: GTX 760 4gb

RAM: 8GB 1600Mhz

SSD: Samsung 120Gb

HDD: 1TB 7200rpm

Cost = Just over £800 inc VAT.

This sound like a good deal or can anyone recommend some place else to look?

Thanks

I'm no expert but as I'm in a market for a new rig, been doing a lot of reading:

Forget about RAM speed. Difference in performance from 1600 to 2400mhz is 2-4%, and that's in benchmark applications. If you're on a budget, get the cheapest 1600mhz set you can find.

i5 4690K is a no-brainer.

If you're not an advance user, get a cheaper Z97 motherboard,

and throw that money into a 4gb gtx 770. That i5 is a top of the line proccessor and should be paired with a graphics card to match it's capabilities, otherwise it's a waste. So the gtx 760 should be the minimum. If you can afford it of course, otherwise get both cheaper cpu and gpu combo.

And get a noctua air cooler, and with a youtube tutorial you can get that i5 overclocked to 4.5ghz in 15min and not worry about a thing.

128gb SSD, samsung 840 series is recomended from what I read.

Cheapest 1tb hdd will do.

600w Corsair cx would be more than enough.

And least, but most important thing, build it yourself. Youtube is a miracle. It'll teach you anything you need to know, building, installing, overclocking. This will allow you to get a system you can't afford yet. And it'll be a skill that will last you a lifetime and save you a bunch of money each time you decide to upgrade. It's a few hours job at the worst, if you look at some video tutorials in advance.

That's it from me, someone correct me if I got anything wrong.

Edited by hegykc

GTX 9xx is coming in 2 or 3 months. Generally you will want to newest series of hardware to be as future proof as possible. Also, wait for EDGE, you don't know yet what works best with it.

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

GTX 9xx is coming in 2 or 3 months. Generally you will want to newest series of hardware to be as future proof as possible. Also, wait for EDGE, you don't know yet what works best with it.

Yeah I would like to but money will be fairly tight so it's going to have to be sub £1000 since my Cougar and rudder pedals are also on their last legs and will need replacing very soon as I've had them for 7-8 years now of almost constant use.

Watched some videos and I probably could do a self build but the 12month 0% finance offers on overclockers make things much easier for me so I might end up going with them regardless as banks don't tend to do BNPL loans like that these days AFAIK.

EDIT: And off will wait for EDGE to be released, I'm merely trying to budget and plan ahead since I will have other bills to pay for the car soon :).

Edited by 159th_LoneWolf

A GTX960 at the time of release will cost about as much as a GTX760 does nowadays so I'm not sure how a budget limitation is a reason not to wait for the new series? As a matter of fact, your bang for buck ratio will increase by buying a newer card in 3 months for roughly the same price an older one costs today

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory