=BURNING SKIES= WWII Server

eekz

=BURNING SKIES= WWII Server

I am a brand new DCS Warbirds player and wanted to try Burning Skies. I have several questions:

1 - It says to hit left shift + F10 to enable icons but that does not appear to be working?

2 - Where are the red guys taking off from?

3 - How do we find the spots we are supposed to drop bombs on?

4 - What is the average altitude guys are flying at on the server?

5 - I am using the Rift S in VR, I assume most of the good players are using 4K screens and Track IR?

6 - What key do I hit to bring up some interface to type a message that all can see?

Thanks!

Make sure your labels are turned on by default and set to “full” in your DCS settings. If there not turned on by default then the shift f10 for labels will not work at all on the server. The spotting mod for the server is on by default. Selecting shift F10 will select them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You CAN have them off in your base settings and turn them on later with LShift+F10 once in a mission that allows it. Like I mentioned before, I think its better that they are on in your settings IF you wish to use labels, but felt the need to correct inaccurate advice.

I JUST tested this again to make sure something had not changed, and it has not. The setting in your options only sets the "Default" state of the label.

After some further testing, I found something that is probably causing most of the confusion here. Once you join a server and have toggled the LShift+F10 to whatever, DCS will remember that setting, so that even if you drop out of the server and change your game setting, whatever state you had toggled it to, will be what you are in and NOT what you set it to in the settings. For the settings to be read from the start, you need to EXIT dcs completely and load back in.

I can see where Campbell's statement would appear to be true because of this, but its not because of the setting, its because of the memory of the state the labels were left in from the last online session (which is easy to lose track of with labels as slight as they are on BS).

If you want to see 2 other representations of labels on a WWII server, check out:

RAF662.org WWII Server for labels that are quite large and also will show coalition when close enough (Basically Easy mode)

and

Warbirds of Prey - WWII Western Front where the label distance is set quite a bit further, a bit darker, but also turned off when within 1 mile of the aircraft. The label distance, though higher, was set to be similar to what SOME people are able to see WITHOUT labels on, thus equalizing the playing field.

This does not make them easy to see though for some, Monitor size, resolutions and settings can make a huge impact on visibility.

Thank you LeCuvier, how do I enable the labels? Left Shift + F10 does not appear to be doing anything. I watch players from my own side take off down the runway and toggle LShift + F10 multiple times and see nothing, even though my plane is parked 200m away from them and there should be a gray dot appearing next to them? (I do have full labels enabled in my DCS settings. Should this be changed to dot only?)

Hi Aurelius and welcome!

The spotting description for L shift + f10 is a bit misleading as you may well expect to actually see something different however BS is going for FULL REALISM in terms of spotting. What it does do is at medium and long range spotting the dot will be ever so slightly coloured in a bit more black than grey. Test it by zooming into a contact at distance and hit Lshift + F10 a couple of times and you'll see what I mean.

As soon as things get close in, the plane is no longer a dot and a shape so you have to look all around all the time!! and that can be even harder than just spotting dots! depending on the profile of the plane, wings level, dead 6 etc. From our experiences so far, like lecuvier alludes to, is that some people have eagle eyes and some are oblivious to everything right next to them. It may well have alot to do with resolution, monitor size or just old age for some people. Practice and stick time is the key, it is hard but addictive.

Happy Hunting it is a jungle in there. :pilotfly:

Edited by No.119_Bruv (VK-B)

Thanks guys, I have hit several folks but not downed anyone yet surprisingly. Working on it, .... :)
Damage modeling is one of DCS's falling-off points. Realistically, you give short squeezes of the trigger, but with DCS's current DM, I find continuously firing until I lose my firing solution gets the best result, like knocking out pilots, or cleaving wings and tails off on the first pass.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The DM is really a joke. In Burning Skies I had the right wing of my FW-190A8 completely shot off and I still made back to Anapa air base. The guy behind me was probably furious... The landing was not a success though :)

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

The P-51 always had weak ass guns in IL2 1946 and they do not seem to be that better in DCS. That is fine, once I pop for the Anton module here in a few days, causing damage should get much easier.

Right now you'd struggle to survive in the Anton as it has a strange problem with various CB's popping out. But yes; its fire power is tremendous.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

The P-51 always had weak ass guns in IL2 1946 and they do not seem to be that better in DCS. That is fine, once I pop for the Anton module here in a few days, causing damage should get much easier.
The improved DM should have closer true to life results than what we have now. For now, the P-51 can still cleave off wings and tails (of the Dora and Kurfürst, Anton...is a different story lol) off, but only if you hold one long and continuous stream of lead, when you've got your range set on him. Bursts don't cut it right now.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The DM is really a joke. In Burning Skies I had the right wing of my FW-190A8 completely shot off and I still made back to Anapa air base. The guy behind me was probably furious... The landing was not a success though :)

The A8 is in "eary access" (*very* early, it's actually worse now than at initial release, currently you can't even drop the only bomb it can carry). DM is on the long list of promised features to come. DM also seems to be on the backburner for a lot of DCS aircraft, as they're adding an entirely new DM system soon it's understandable that they don't want to have to do this work twice.

I can't find Burning Skies server on server list for a last week. I've noticed that my dcs's version is 2.5.5.33184 and Burning Skies www page states: "Open Beta 2.5.5.31917". The newest version of game is 2.5.5.34108 according to this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=200724&page=7.

From what I've noticed there are automatic updates upon startup so...why this discrepancy? Why do I have a different version from the newest and from Burning Skies server??

How come some of you connect to the server (as I can see players online noted by web page)? Do you downgrade version of dcs? How?

I'm on stand alone version of DCS not steam version.

Recently I had a problem too. I had downloaded 2.5, not the beta and was able to fly on Burning Skies for a week or so. At the change of months I could not find it on the server list even though the webpage indicated people flying. I went on discord and a fellow told me it was open beta only. Really! So,,,I downloaded the beta and found I was able to access the battle!

I can't find Burning Skies server on server list for a last week. I've noticed that my dcs's version is 2.5.5.33184 and Burning Skies www page states: "Open Beta 2.5.5.31917". The newest version of game is 2.5.5.34108 according to this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=200724&page=7.

From what I've noticed there are automatic updates upon startup so...why this discrepancy? Why do I have a different version from the newest and from Burning Skies server??

How come some of you connect to the server (as I can see players online noted by web page)? Do you downgrade version of dcs? How?

I'm on stand alone version of DCS not steam version.

BS try and run the latest OB. Sometimes you might be too quick to update before eekz has had enough time to get the server running the latest OB. It is using the latest 2.5.5.34108 currently. In your start menu find eagle dynamics and hit update open beta and see if it finds an update for you. Sometimes if you hit update later and it's only a small file it won't prompt again for awhile or a restart.

If it's not in the MP list it's either server down or version mismatch. If you hit Connect via IP you should be able to work out whats going on.

Ignore the webpage that is even more out of date.

Edited by No.119_Bruv (VK-B)

Recently I had a problem too. I had downloaded 2.5, not the beta and was able to fly on Burning Skies for a week or so. At the change of months I could not find it on the server list even though the webpage indicated people flying. I went on discord and a fellow told me it was open beta only. Really! So,,,I downloaded the beta and found I was able to access the battle!

Ok, so I'll download beta version and test it.

Thank you slickdevel!!

PS. It might have worked for you and me previously on standard version (even the same period we were playing) because perhaps standard version had equal version number to open beta version at that time and now they differ.

BS try and run the latest OB. Sometimes you might be too quick to update before eekz has had enough time to get the server running the latest OB. It is using the latest 2.5.5.34108 currently. In your start menu find eagle dynamics and hit update open beta and see if it finds an update for you. Sometimes if you hit update later and it's only a small file it won't prompt again for awhile or a restart.

If it's not in the MP list it's either server down or version mismatch. If you hit Connect via IP you should be able to work out whats going on.

Ignore the webpage that is even more out of date.

Ok, thanks No.119_Bruv (VK-B) for additional info. I was too blindly attached to numbers on www than ;).

I'm new to this also, this is what I have learned so far.

1 - I have this problem also(2560x1440). I can spot a plane if it's close only. I made a mission using the editor so I know where and when to expect bandits, it has not helped, I still cannot spot the "gray" label.

3 - First make sure that you have smoke turned up to max, it helps find targets that have already been attacked. Use the map in the briefing, zoom in as best you can and note the position of rivers and roads near the targets. Use this information while warming the motor to look at the F10 map and verify those positions. Remove the grid that does not have reference marks that you can use. Mark the course using the "ruler" to establish headings and distances, try to use locations of cities, lakes, airfields as references. Each grid is about 4x4 miles and takes about one minute to travel at about 250mph, check this for yourself, do not believe me there. You now have a heading, a visual reference to a waypoint and an ETA. Your position along your path can be checked by using LCtrl+F10, center your mouse pointer in the center of the screen and zoom out, you will see where you are.

For your FIRST approach at the target area fly low enough that you can draw fire and see where it is. The targets are very small and it will probably take time to be able to find the particular field where they sit. Climb up and get some references to the location of the target relative to roads, rivers and towns. this took me a while.

Make a mission using the editor that has targets in the BS locations,Fly this mission with labels on for practice. Be attentive to everything on the ground and reference the map in between these practice missions.

4 - I'm just doing A-G while I get better at handling the a/c, I am also left to die in a crippled ship after the first rounds impacts and I lose power.

Check Six every time you come off target, AAA hits can leave you streaming a long white cloud that attracts hunter! Hunters look for tracer and smoke from the target area too, they are drawn to it, go home!

I'll be on Discord when flying.

Update on my problem with connecting to server:

After installing dcs open beta version I can connect to server with no problem!

Thank you guys for helping me and see you in the skies! Hopefully on the same side :pilotfly:

SO I have a question regarding disconnects. I see its now visible in stats ? Does that affect score ?

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I’ve got a strange issue that since the latest update, the online stats page is showing that I’ve had ground target hits and landings / takeoffs, but doesn’t unfortunately seem to be showing up the dogfights?

I’ve checked and for the previous tours it does show up - any ideas as if i look in tacview (albeit before I updated) i do have a kill but it’s not showing up?

Thanks

Ollie

hello, I don't suppose something can be done about the vulching? Maybe make it so air victories are not counted within 5nm of airfields? Just asking because I watched one player vulch the novo airfield until the few allied players that were on had left because they couldn't even take off.