Mig 21 Pilot Real Life Question

tusler

Sir,

In the old days in the USSR...

From the beginning of your Training syllabus in the classroom how long does it take to become a qualified combat pilot in the Mig 21?

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Sir,

In the old days in the USSR...

From the beginning of your Training syllabus in the classroom how long does it take to become a qualified combat pilot in the Mig 21?

for example, 3-rd class fighter:

4 years in flight college. approx. 130 hrs. day, simple weather.

year after finnishing gollage, senior leutenant, 200-250 hrs total. day/simple weater, formations fligts, ready to apply weapons from simple maneuvers.

1-st class fighter pilot:

+5 years in fighter regiment*120 hrs in a year.

In total you are captain or major of soviet VVS, commander of eskadrilya (12 planes) or zveno (4 planes), appr. 800-1000 hrs practice. Day/night, simple/difficult weather. Ready to employ all weapons from any type of maneuver.

and there was a special elite title: sniper-pilot.

He can do all, like 1-st class, but in any weater conditions, for example in fog, or in storm) It could be a major or colonel, 2000-3000 hrs. regiment conmmander or diviziya (3 regiments) inspestion-pilot

Edited by Yott
  • Like 1

Thanks, I wont get to impatient if I don't pick this up in a week:lol:

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

That looks reasonable for an old fart like me :)

So i have divided my training curriculum ito 3 parts:

1: learn to master the entire flight envelope

2: learn to navigate and land in all conditions

3: learn to fight A-A and A-G in all conditions

In that order. :pilotfly:

for example, 3-rd class fighter:

4 years in flight college. approx. 130 hrs. day, simple weather.

year after finnishing gollage, senior leutenant, 200-250 hrs total. day/simple weater, formations fligts, ready to apply weapons from simple maneuvers.

1-st class fighter pilot:

+5 years in fighter regiment*120 hrs in a year.

In total you are captain or major of soviet VVS, commander of eskadrilya (12 planes) or zveno (4 planes), appr. 800-1000 hrs practice. Day/night, simple/difficult weather. Ready to employ all weapons from any type of maneuver.

and there was a special elite title: sniper-pilot.

He can do all, like 1-st class, but in any weater conditions, for example in fog, or in storm) It could be a major or colonel, 2000-3000 hrs. regiment conmmander or diviziya (3 regiments) inspestion-pilot

In contrast, when Finland acquired their first Mig-21s in 1962, the pilots travelled to the USSR for an accelerated training program. They spent 4 months in Kazakhstan. The training included:

- 190 hours studying Mig-15UTI, Mig-17 and Mig-21F-13 in classroom

- 6 hours of flight and 15 landings in Mig-15UTI

- about 2 h 12 mins of flight and 6 landings in Mig-17

- planned 9 hours and 55 mins and 19 sorties in Mig-21F-13, but only 7-9 actual flights were done before the training was cut short.

In 1978, Finnish pilots travelled again to the USSR for conversion training to Mig-21BIS. Training lasted a month and included classroom studies 6 days a week. No training flights.

Reference: Mig-21 in Finnish Air Force, Jyrki Laukkanen (2004)

Reference: Mig-21 in Finnish Air Force, Jyrki Laukkanen (2004)

Hey there, tips on where I can find this book?

Last time I visited Tikkakoski museum and Jämi fly-in I didn't see this, would have bought then if I did :)

Btw, have you seen the Yle documentary about the training program?

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

Hey there, tips on where I can find this book?

Last time I visited Tikkakoski museum and Jämi fly-in I didn't see this, would have bought then if I did :)

Btw, have you seen the Yle documentary about the training program?

Might be a bit difficult, since the edition has been sold out. Not even the publisher sells it anymore. The aviation museum at Vantaa has an event on 8th of November where people bring out their aviation books out for sale. That might be your best bet.

Yes, I did watch that documentary. Very interesting.