GT640 for DCS World ?

What is your current graphics card? I'm no expert, but since you only have 4GB of RAM you're not meeting the DCS minimum system requirements. I'm in the same boat with only 4GB, it might be worth getting 8GB RAM since DCS always has a lot of assets to load up and you might bottleneck a GPU like the 640 with it.

I'm actually not going to bother upgrading my current system and am going to save for a whole new build since it would work out better in the long run as with the 9XX series nvidia cards supposedly around the corner the 640 might be obsolete before you even get it. Would recommend getting AT LEAST a 750 preferably a 770. I feel your pain being on a tight budget though, all my kit is giving up at once as it's old now and I can't afford to replace it all!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the inputs guys. I went a bit overboard and got the GTX750ti GPU with 2GB DDR5 from Asus along with a Corsair VS450 power supply. I am glad I invested for the bis coz I get no less than 34fps with it at Medium settings on airfileds and ofcourse higher, 60fps +, in the skies. This is with no other aircraft around and with the small update from LN.

This add on means a lot to me as I grew consuming footage and visuals of this aircraft as a child and dreaming to fly one in RL.

Thanks you LN Team for the addon.

Manish

That was a smart move. I had a GT640 ( the GT is not a GTX and only a 128 bit card.. FYI) with 2 gigs of ram. it was fine for video editing and graphics with multiple monitors - my son used it for some steam 1st person shooters. I used it with 3 monitors when I got hooked on flight sims this spring after visiting the New England air museum in windsor locks near Bradley international...

Anyway.. it was "OK" but I had a hard time over water and recovering flying the P51 because things happened too fast.. I got totally fed up and quit flying around April or May. i only have a quad core but 16 gigs of ram and knew the graphics card was the key.

After waiting and waiting - i finally pulled the trigger on a EVGA GTX 780 FTW Dual. The price drop with the 900 series made it worth it ( and after the reviews I'm glad they did not have the lesser 900 series in stock).. I think you'll be glad you did this. There is no sense in "settling" for something that you will have to replace in short order.

WOW.. i had no idea what i was missing....

Just wanted to share my experience and let you know that you probably spent your money wisely rather than throw away 75 -100 bucks. You will enjoy flying .. I know - I hooked mine up 2 days ago ( sorry for all the questions lately ).. but I have had a blast flying and can actually land my P51D without plowing into the runway because I could not keep the plane on a straight flight path on final to save my a$$. I was ( as my old flight instructor called it ) "chasing the needle".. and flying - especially doing a final was nothing more than constantly reacting to the visual perception or lag in what I was perceiving the plane was doing.

I can actually say I'm having a blast now!... ( all I need to do is learn all the controls and weapons systems which looks like a real job!

Good Luck.... Wayne

Edited by woodsglen

Wayne

Exactly the same experience I went through with the P-51D.

GPU makes all the difference in handling a/c in DCS World.

To all who are waiting and thinking, I say go for it.

The GTX750ti is a bargain in the western world, unlike here where it is a tad expensive.

Manish

That was a smart move. I had a GT640 ( the GT is not a GTX and only a 128 bit card.. FYI) with 2 gigs of ram. it was fine for video editing and graphics with multiple monitors - my son used it for some steam 1st person shooters. I used it with 3 monitors when I got hooked on flight sims this spring after visiting the New England air museum in windsor locks near Bradley international...

Anyway.. it was "OK" but I had a hard time over water and recovering flying the P51 because things happened too fast.. I got totally fed up and quit flying around April or May. i only have a quad core but 16 gigs of ram and knew the graphics card was the key.

After waiting and waiting - i finally pulled the trigger on a EVGA GTX 780 FTW Dual. The price drop with the 900 series made it worth it ( and after the reviews I'm glad they did not have the lesser 900 series in stock).. I think you'll be glad you did this. There is no sense in "settling" for something that you will have to replace in short order.

WOW.. i had no idea what i was missing....

Just wanted to share my experience and let you know that you probably spent your money wisely rather than throw away 75 -100 bucks. You will enjoy flying .. I know - I hooked mine up 2 days ago ( sorry for all the questions lately ).. but I have had a blast flying and can actually land my P51D without plowing into the runway because I could not keep the plane on a straight flight path on final to save my a$$. I was ( as my old flight instructor called it ) "chasing the needle".. and flying - especially doing a final was nothing more than constantly reacting to the visual perception or lag in what I was perceiving the plane was doing.

I can actually say I'm having a blast now!... ( all I need to do is learn all the controls and weapons systems which looks like a real job!

Good Luck.... Wayne