Radar support questions

stray cat

What possibilities does the game have in terms of radar support?

1. I know there is AWACS planes, but can ground based radar be used to simulate korean war scenarios where the ground radar leads the planes to combat?

2. Can ground based radar units spot units on their own and make the info available to players (in any form)?

3. Will ground based radar units "work" by simply putting them near AA vehicles? Example the BUK or PATRIOT have vehicles with a detection radius but no actual weapons on them. How to use them as intended?

I believe ground controlled intercept was promised with the upcoming Mig-21 module.

3. Placing both launchers and radars in the same group worked for me.

AMD Ryzen 3600, Biostar Racing B850GT3, AMD Rx 580 8Gb, 16384 DDR4 2900, Hitachi 7K3000 2Tb, Samsung SM961 256Gb SSD, Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, Samsung S24F350 24'

1. Not for now but indeed let's wait and see what'll bring the future MiG-21. If your question is about multiplayer, you may want to try LotAtc 4 DCS, the air traffic controller software for DCS World. This consists of a free server module + paid client software (including a short demo mode, for free). You'll need mates wanting to play the ATC too, obviously.

2. Yes, if using russian birds like MiG-29S, Su-27/33, GCI provide datalink (a bit buggy last time I checked, though) that displays target on your MFD in BVR mode. If you fly other aircraft, no way except 1.

3. Already answered above.

Cheers.

spacer.png

Ground control works in DCS. Take in Mission Editor - 1L13 or 55G6.

Sentence from DCS MiG-21 Flight Manual:

"Having a “short range” and single target track radar, MiG-21BIS was strongly relied on Ground

Controlled Interception (GCI) support. To enable GCI support in the DCS, you need to create a

mission with some sort of early warning (EW) radar unit: it could be either ground EW radar or

airborne EW radar (Airborne Warning and Control System - AWACS).

As a simple solution, you can use either USA or RUS AWACS aircraft in orbit (E-2D, E-3A and A-50).

If you are playing in a coalition with Russia, you will also have ground EW radars available, namely

1L13 and 55G6 (under Air Defence unit type).

However, if you don’t want to use AWACS, or Russian EW radars are unavailable, you can create

your own custom GCI unit/group....

...On the right options window, select AIR DEFENCE from CATEGORY drop down menu.

Open TYPE drop down menu, and select one of two available ground EW radars - either 1L13 or

55G6. You can find more on these units in DCS Encyclopedia."

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

1. Where did you get the manual from?

2. How to "create a custom CGI group"?

3. How to interact with the ground based radar? I placed myself an f86 on the russian side and an EWR on the ground, but there is no radio options for interacting with that.

Ask in Radio comm menu AWACS (Bandits, Home base ect.) - works too same for Ground Control.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro