Brief MFG Crosswind review

Random

I've been lusting after a set of these for a while.

One word review:

AMAZING.

Little bit more detail:

I've previously been using the pedals that came with my Logitech G940. Reversal Bug was making it very difficult to fly smoothly so I got the MFG ones ordered after reading a lot of positive reviews.

While waiting for them to be delivered I rewired my G940 pedals through a leo bodnar joystick board to get rid of the reversal bug. Result of this was very impressive and I began to think I shouldn't have ordered the MFG Crosswinds. I needn't have worried.

The MFG pedals are a massive improvement over the modded G940 pedals. Solid, all ball bearing so there's no rattle or slop in any of the moving parts. The springing is adjustable, strong and very progressive. You can't use a wheeled office chair with these things! And the progressive springing means you are using pressure rather than position for your reference. Its much easier to apply the right pressure than trying to move the correct amount.

A few horrible fuzzy phone photos

20140915_183853_zps9aa3ff10.jpg

20140915_183903_zpscdadf50e.jpg

20140915_183910_zps9e748cff.jpg

20140915_183948_zpsdfd59859.jpg

Yeah, there at the high end when it comes to rudder pedals, but once you have them, you won't remember how much you laid out for them, just how great they are. It's when you have something you have to give very little thought to that you know you have hit that "sweet spot". The Crosswinds are like that. Once you are using them, it almost seems natural to move your feet in both steering and braking without even thinking about it. They simply work.

Edited by Chief1942

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

I've been eyeing these for a long time but I just can't see how they are that much of an improvement over my Saiteck Pro Flight pedals. Especially since I fly the A-10C most of the time. I do enjoy some Huey flying here and there, but I can get by with the Saiteck pedals seemingly well enough. Does anybody that own the MFGs think it's still worth the cost to buy these for somebody in my position?

I´m really exited about my MFG rudder. But I have a totally different usage profile to yours. I´m flying a mix of warbirds and helis, where you absolutely have a very improved feeling for rudder and toe-brakes over any other hardware I flew with (saitek, simped, G940). In addition to that I fly Jets where the improvement is not that recognisable.

In your shoes and as long as you stick mainly to flying jets I would use the saiteks to their lives end and then go for something better. But thats just my 5ct.

:joystick:

I've been eyeing these for a long time but I just can't see how they are that much of an improvement over my Saiteck Pro Flight pedals. Especially since I fly the A-10C most of the time. I do enjoy some Huey flying here and there, but I can get by with the Saiteck pedals seemingly well enough. Does anybody that own the MFGs think it's still worth the cost to buy these for somebody in my position?

i am convinced, that you wont get anything better...they are made by a genious.once you go MFG, you never look back.

Does the triangular shaped base induce any tipping to one side when applying full rudder?

They only tip if you put only one foot on the pedals.

I love the fact I can now fly properly without a rudder curve at all! Next thing to do is start building a simpit!

I ordered a set of these in early August with the promise of an early October delivery, I don't mind waiting for quality and not long to go now. Milan (who makes them) was very helpful with all my questions and responded very quickly to emails. I have never owned a set of pedals before and I am really looking forward to using them with the Blackshark and Huey. My long term intension is to mount these on a board, extending the board up to my chair were I will eventually place the joystick (T M Warthog, not purchased yet, early 2015) so that it is between my legs, and then mounting the throttle somehow to the chair on the left of my arm rest, just hope all cables are long enough. I don't think my co-pilot will go for the full on simpit

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

mondaysoff you're gonna love them for the huey!

Just been flying around in the Mi8 and the precision you can get is pretty good! Can really abuse the collective on takeoff and just hold the nose precisely still. No problems countering torque now.

Depends

Does the triangular shaped base induce any tipping to one side when applying full rudder?

I have carpeting under my flight sim desk so I mounted the Crosswinds to a piece of 1/4inch plywood cut to fit in the foot space under the desk. I figured since the real ones in aircraft are rigidly affixed, I would do the same. They now of course do not move the least from where I have them placed. I replaced my Saiteks (which worked okay) with the Crosswinds because the Saiteks just simply felt "cheap" in light of my other controllers, ie. WartHog and Thrustmaster F-16 Cougar. Every person might feel differently regarding their controllers. Our respective view of "immersion" is probably varied.To each their own.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

mondaysoff you're gonna love them for the huey!

Just been flying around in the Mi8 and the precision you can get is pretty good! Can really abuse the collective on takeoff and just hold the nose precisely still. No problems countering torque now.

Thanks Random, I have only just purchased the Huey in the last sale, took my first flight in it today with my trusty T Flight Hotas X and it's twist stick rudder, a bit wild to say the least, I'm not going to fly it anymore until the new pedals arrive. Seemed to have tamed the Shark and the trimming, don't crash anymore, just get shot down, again with the new MFG's I'm sure that will improve also.

Modules NOT currently in my hanger

Yak 52/F-14 Tomcat/CE II/Mig-19/I-16/FW-A-8/JF-17/Supercarrier

My system:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo

3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 4690k

H100i CPU Cooler

16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 Hyper X Fury Red

MSI GTX980ti GPU

EVGA 850W PSU

Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD

128gb Plextor M.2 storage (Boot Drive)

Windows 10 X64 Professional

Acer XB281HK G-sync monitor

Trackir 5

MFG Crosswind pedals

T M Warthog Hotas

I´m really exited about my MFG rudder. But I have a totally different usage profile to yours. I´m flying a mix of warbirds and helis, where you absolutely have a very improved feeling for rudder and toe-brakes over any other hardware I flew with (saitek, simped, G940). In addition to that I fly Jets where the improvement is not that recognisable.

In your shoes and as long as you stick mainly to flying jets I would use the saiteks to their lives end and then go for something better. But thats just my 5ct.

:joystick:

Ah thanks for the input. I forgot about the war birds. I do enjoy the p-51 but I don't do any pvp with it as of yet. Need to get around to the 190 and 109.

i am convinced, that you wont get anything better...they are made by a genious.once you go MFG, you never look back.

Good point. I suppose it's like the x-52 where I was okay with that but once I got the TM Warthog I wondered how I ever survived without it. These might be a Christmas present I guess.

I've been using the MFG for more than 6 months now, and, frankly, they simply are perfect, there's nothing to say against them. Disclaimer: I have no interest, financially or otherwise, into praising this product. It's the honest opinion of a very satisfied customer.

The hardware is top notch quality, still as responsive as first day. They're about as modular as those strange mouses nowadays, so the shape can be adjusted to feel just right for you. That being said, there's a limit, obviously, and... oh, that's not even true, there are spare parts that you can get if you want them really far apart. The software gets a lot of updates, and the guy that makes the MFG is both friendly and accessible, while being very professional about his product.

This is at least the same quality you would expect from Thrustmaster or Logitech (IMO it's far above), and, as I said, 6 months into it, and absolutely nothing negative to say about it.

I use them for a lot of different games; they are marvelous for each and every aircraft in the DCS series obviously, but one can tweak them so much that they can be used in any game that can accept DirectX input, button or axis.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]