G sync

Just a quick note from me, since i recently bought the asus rog swift pg278q which is a 144hz, 1440p monitor with gsync technology.

Performance (fps count): my settings are high (HDR off). Quick starting a mission with the a10 gives me between 30-40 fps when looking in the direction of the action and about 75+ fps when looking in the opposite direction. Switching off the cockpit vial alt-f1 gives an extra 5 fps.

Performance (g sync): as you can read on the internet gsync technology is a game (/sim-) changer. I enjoy flying at 40fps very much, the impression is really smooth! Only thing is heavy head turning in the cockpit, therefore a constant 75fps would be better (edge hopefully...). But for the constant flight where the scenery is moving closely below you it is great. Before that monitor I used to fly with vsync on to avoid the horrifying tearing errors you get when turning around in the cockpit..

So overall the frame synching technology really is a game changer for me.

Kind regards

Boris

9900k, 2080TI, 64GB, ssd, valve index, Thrustmaster on virpil, virpil cm2 throttle, tpr pedals, mfd.

Sounds excellent, Boris. I was waiting to hear some impressions from someone besides the Battlefield 4 addict when it comes to this monitor. I've always wanted to use LightBoost/ULMB in conjunction with TrackIR, but compatible TN panels have always looked so dull; and then there's the problem of getting a consistent 120 fps with such a CPU-limited engine (like FSX).

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

... what? I thought all G-sync did was decrease screen tearing which happens when you're displaying more fps than your monitor's Hz.

In other words you wouldn't notice any difference at all between a 144 Hz G-sync monitor and a 144 Hz non-G-sync monitor unless you're playing at more than 144 fps that is.

Is there something more to the technology I haven’t heard?

You say you “enjoy” flying at 40 fps? It’s extremely low considering your 144 Hz monitor!

There is no tearing at all when turning your head in cockpit. What I wanted to say was that gsync does really make it possible (for the first time ever) that your brain accepts this 40-60 fps as smooth animation. However if the objects on your screen change drastically in a short time (turning head) you'd like more fps to increase the clarity and readability of the moving gauges etc.

as an example just turn your head ingame with your non g sync screen: everything will tear heavily or stutter and non readable. With gsync again this effect is much less and image quality is improved.

As I tried on other games (bf4, mechwarrior online, grid auto sport) a constant 60-80 fps is enough for me in all situation. Probably there are players that would need even more fps, but with the help of gsync the image quality ist drastically improved at lower fps. Since dcs world is kind of slow compared to the other games, a lower fps rate is acceptable. Faster games require higher fps to keep the high immersion.

Again it's the old fps vs. detail-preferences discussion but with this technology you can improve the detail sliders and still be happy.

Oh and one more thing: the pendulum demo is available for download and I tried it out on the monitor. There you can simulate various fps rates with gsync and vsync and vsync off. And it really works and is convincing.

I'm not from nvidia or anything btw. ;) the technology is proprietary and expensive, and since I am buying a house right now I should not buy any PC hardware ATM, but it was really worth dumping my dell u3011 for this monitor. Even worth the discussions with my wife. Hehe.

9900k, 2080TI, 64GB, ssd, valve index, Thrustmaster on virpil, virpil cm2 throttle, tpr pedals, mfd.