3x 23" 1080p or 1x 27" 1440p + TIR

JayPee

As some of you might know from topics I started in the past, I'm running DCS A-10C on a mid-end gaming notebook with a rather crappy home made FreeTrack set.

About a month ago I decided to go and buy a new rig dedicated for simming but then I learned about Nvidia releasing their GTX 9xx in September/October. Long story short, I'll wait for EDGE and ASUS/MSI/Gigabyte GTX 980 cards.

However, what constantly keeps me busy is whether I'm better off running 5760 x 1080 with no TIR, or 2560 x 1440 + TIR? I know 5760 x 1080 + TIR is probably the ideal set up but for the sake of making choices, let's assume I can only pick between the two options given...

What might be important to know is that I initially (as in: the upcoming 3 years at least) do not plan on using more than one videocard and I want to stick to the price range of the current 780 plus or minus a few bucks, not the 780Ti or Titan.

i7 4790K: 4.8GHz, 1.328V (manual)

MSI GTX 970: 1,504MHz core, 1.250V, 8GHz memory

Personally, I don't care for the stretching you will get with three screens, using the one camera view. The three camera view is superior but seriously hurts the frame rate.

I started with a 22" monitor, then a 27" (2560x1440) and now my main screen is a 40" 1080p TV. I miss the resolution but I love the size.

Either way, your three screen option, without TIR, just makes no sense to me but if asked, I would rather have one screen with TIR than three without, regardless of size or resolution.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Personally, I don't care for the stretching you will get with three screens, using the one camera view. The three camera view is superior but seriously hurts the frame rate.

I started with a 22" monitor, then a 27" (2560x1440) and now my main screen is a 40" 1080p TV. I miss the resolution but I love the size.

Either way, your three screen option, without TIR, just makes no sense to me but if asked, I would rather have one screen with TIR than three without, regardless of size or resolution.

+1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Stretching? As far as I know the game supports 5670 x 1080p.. Don't tell me it just stretches 1920 x 1080p horizontally over 3 monitors without actually rendering a width of 3 times a normal 16:9 resolution?

It doesn't stretch like that. It's FOV related distortion as near as I can tell. You can see a little of the same thing on a single monitor if you zoom out as far as possible. I honestly never investigated the root explanation, I just wrote it off as unacceptable for me personally.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Some 3/4 Screen Videos for an Example:

(*note, I recorded this a while back, so there's tearing on the right screen due to MiniDP-> DVI Adapter.)

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill,

X470 Taichi Ultimate, R7970 Lightning @ 1.2 / 6 GHz Memory

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Stretching? As far as I know the game supports 5670 x 1080p.. Don't tell me it just stretches 1920 x 1080p horizontally over 3 monitors without actually rendering a width of 3 times a normal 16:9 resolution?

It doesn't stretch like that. It's FOV related distortion as near as I can tell. You can see a little of the same thing on a single monitor if you zoom out as far as possible. I honestly never investigated the root explanation, I just wrote it off as unacceptable for me personally.

Yep, it's just the fishbowl effect. It looks correct if you're always looking dead center of your screen(s). If you use the side monitors more as windows than for peripheral vision, you want to add some extra viewports for them, which isn't a problem, but it does decrease your fps.

look at the 21:9 monitors from LG or others...

Simpit Software by SDA "SIMPIT DEVELOPER ASSOCIATION"

• DCS ExportScript
  • D.A.C. DCS to Arcaze Communicator
  • Ikarus a new Virtual Cockpit Software

Deutscher Forums Thread

English Forums Thread

Hard/Software: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 32 GiB RAM, extra SSD for Windows 10 and DCS World, AMD Vega Frontier Edition with 16 GiB VRAM

You can type in any monitor resolution that you want.

I have 3 39" screens. The two side screens are at a 45 degree from the center screen. Overall FOV is 160 degrees. you have to make some changes to the view lua to compensate but it looks beautiful. I also use Facetrack that doesn't kick in until I turn my head about 60 degrees. My 55" TV can't touch the feeling of immersion I get with a triple screen setup.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

not to start a display war or anything, but i used 3 screens also. Then i went to my 55 inch in 3d, nothing compares to that immersion. 3d is amazing and at that size you get the real presence your looking for. 3 screens are cool but VR and 3d blow it out of the water, my experience and opinion.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

3-screen setups have the annoying frames and a narrow vertical look.

I much prefer a large single screen.

If 3d can match or beat both the frame rate and resolution of a 2d monitor, I am all on board for 3d.

Simply using an old 46" LCD TV at 1080p with a 60-70 degree real-life FOV matched up with an in-game 60-70 degree FOV looks great. But instruments look a little blocky... need 2160p at a similar size with a gpu that can drive it at decent fps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've decided to start with one 23" 1080p screen, which will be available for at least another 2 years so I can add two later on.

Does anybody have experience with triple screen in a vertical set up as that is what I'd like to have if I decide to buy 2 extra? Simming on 3240 (3 x 1080) x 1920. 6.2 Mpixels at a 16:9.48 ratio...

You need at least 2 video cards to run 3 screens. And you will have to lower some graphic settings.

If you seriously think about surround displays. Find a monitor with thin border casing.

And a higher quality mount for the portrait position. I mean $$$.

In 2 years? Open an eye on the sales for your model of video card. Because the immersion is awesome.

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

I have 2 gtx680 (super overclock) for 5900x1080 (bezel correction). No, i don't set to high setting. That's a lot of pixels!

The trackir is indispensable for me. I can't even fly with one screen now. LOL!

I tried play ROF with one card...:huh:

Sorry for the bad news :) I mean, for the $1000 extra.

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

You need at least 2 video cards to run 3 screens. And you will have to lower some graphic settings.

If you seriously think about surround displays. Find a monitor with thin border casing.

And a higher quality mount for the portrait position. I mean $$$.

In 2 years? Open an eye on the sales for your model of video card. Because the immersion is awesome.

1 high end (290, 290x) AMD card will run 4 monitors (3 mains and 1 Helios). 2xAA, No HDR (I'm not a fan) and everything else maxed out (with the extreme view distance mod) at 40-60 FPS.

I tried mine in portrait mode. but found that the wider FOV in standard mode is more immersive. This is of course a personal preference.

Definitely agree on the thin bezel. If you can't find a thin bezel you can always remove the panel from the frame. 104" of screen and only 2" of bezel.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground