How NOT to spin the Dora ;)

Art-J

So there I was an hour ago, learning my new D9 bought during flash sale, when I decided to test how stalling and spinning this bird feels like compared to Mustang. Just to be on the safe side, I decided to do a power-off spin. Completely off - down to idle setting of about 600 RPM. Slowed down, stick to the gut, full rudder, spin started, did a couple of turns... and suddenly my engine decided to quit. The prop didn't even windmill, it just stopped there. Errr.... That was unexpected!

Recovered the plane (a bit harder compared to easy, "insta-recovering" Mustang) and began frantic attempts to restart the engine mid-air with inertia starter, anxiously watching the ground getting closer and closer. Despite an airfield located nearby, I didn't feel like trying to do a deadstick landing (since my "regular" ones are still a bit sloppy) so, after three attempts the only thing I could start was emergency bailout procedure :D.

Repeated the mission, started spinning with engine throttled down to 600 RPM and it quit on me once again. This time, however, it did actually restart. During next spin a couple of minutes later, I kept the RPM slightly above 1000 RPM and had no problems whatsoever.

I'm honestly curious what physics modeling detail is responsible for this behaviour, I might repeat the experiment, save the track and watch all pressures closely ('cause I'm sure all the temps were OK). Figuring out a reliable midair restart procedure might come in handy in the future as well.

Bottom line is, all of You guys, who love advanced aerobatics, make sure not to get below 1000 RPM during spins, otherwise you might end up having more exciting stunt situations to deal with ;).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Huh? Amazing control settings you have! "Insta-Mustang"?

I've bought the Dora off the shelf during pre-release and have never experienced a nasty habits about her, apart from a somewhat useless rudder during take-off and landing (but hey - it's beta!).

On the other hand, I've bought the Mustang as a release via am#zon and have always had a hard time getting her out of her nasty stalls and spins;

she needs a hand other than mine it seems. ;-)

Perhaps you only need time, a little adjustment on your (joystick) curves and a little practice.

I'm sure, in time you will be delighted with "Lady-Long Nose". :joystick: :pilotfly::thumbup:

*edit: Yes, I do fly in SIM mode, not GAME*

Edited by Bearkiller72
addendum

Oh, I'm not complaining, only sharing observations. It is quite an interesting plane indeed, jet-heads might say "nah, another warbird, like all the others", but there are so many differences and peculiarities about its flight characteristics and systems, compared to Mustang. Learnig the Dora is challenging, but fun. I'm just curious why the engine quits as described above :D.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On the other hand, I've bought the Mustang as a release via am#zon and have always had a hard time getting her out of her nasty stalls and spins;

she needs a hand other than mine it seems. ;-)

Just my experience, if I have the altitude and just cut the throttle, the Mustang will wobble a bit and then settle out of the spin nicely by herself. Then I add full throttle to gain some speed in the dive and try to get back into the fight.

But in the Mustang you just cut MP, right? I'm sure there is a pretty significant difference between just cutting your MP on the Mustang or reducing RPM to 600 in the Dora which you shouldn't even do on the ground!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2