Single Wing Flight

Aeons

isnt necessarily a bug though!

its hard to fly with a piece of a wing missing, and not everytime you will be able to keep control of the aircraft.

also in real life wwii birds kept flying with pieces of the wings missing.

there are couple of evidences.in real life though for a good reason, most pilots will probably pull the chute as soon as they see a bit of their wing missing.i think thats the biggest difference between such a situation in real life and here in the sim.

I've only encountered this once so far...

But it seemed simulated realistically to me - manageable at cruise but much more input needed on landing... Manageable but difficult - I goofed up on short final, and changed my plan too late: and switched from landing with take off flaps (the original plan), to a full flaps landing way too late (so I think the flaps were still deploying at touch down)...

And nearly ran into a AI squad mate on roll out:)

But in fairness to the OP - I lost a lot less wing by the looks of things...

Edited by VIMANAMAN

yes I agree - if the OP's aircraft was controllable at landing speed - with the damage shown - i.e <50 wing remaining - something seems 'off'? Surely??

Can you post a track or something similar so ED can look at it - Nice one.

S

EDIT 3!!

Edited by VIMANAMAN

looks like this has now been fixed in the latest patch. I haven't been able to confirm it yet though (too busy flying the mig21bis)

Change Log 1.2.10 32275 Update 2

DCS World

• Fixed lost of progress in campaign after 1.2.10.03295 update
  • Fixed bug when player at start mission switching to aircraft with random skill instead assigned aircraft
  • Fixed server crash on Radio.dll in multiplayer
  • Fixed crash in multiplayer mode when uses Oculus Rift device
  • Added missing picture of MiG-15Bis in encyclopedia for RU and DE version
  • Added missing textures of BTR-80 for Ukraine and Georgia

DCS Flaming Cliffs

• Su-27/33, MiG-29. The numbers of waypoint on cockpit display now are same as ME

DCS Fw 190 D-9

• Fixed: With wings or ailerons off, FW190 has roll controllability
  • Added English training missions
  • Added Russian quick start missions
  • Added Czech quick start and single missions

Update 2 is available in Open Beta today and will be in main version tomorrow.

• ED Team

If it flies - it can fly. In the DCS FM even the changed aspect ratio is taken in account.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

^^YOU SIR amaze me every time :)

Indeed he does David - I am also a "victim" of Yo-Yo's delightful posts here at the ED Forums !

I actually couldn't resist posting this at my other combat sim forum, because this very same issue has been brought to light there quite a few times :-)

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Can we have ASAC on the FW190. I think I could use if even with both wings still on. :lol:

:pilotfly:

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

• ED Team
Can we have ASAC on the FW190. I think I could use if even with both wings still on. :lol:

:pilotfly:

I am sure you can handle the remaining controls better than ASAC! Because of euristic way of the human mind.

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team

And?

Sometimes it shows the plane that does roll. Skyraider in Duxford after a midair collision with P-51 turned full 360 degrees roll too. But it landed safely.

Who can say, that the pilot was not shot dead or wounded with the same burst? Who can say that feeling the bad hit and strange plane behaviour the pilot began to unlock harness to bail out?

Who can say that controls was not damaged (sometimes it happens even without fighting - few days ago Yak-52 crashed after the controls jammed).

UPD at 0-14 in your video the plane proceeds to roll left though a part of its RIGHT wing was ripped off. :) So what can it show?

Edited by Yo-Yo

• ED Team

There is the dimension of self preservation as well, in those the pilot might be more concerned with bailing out that trying to stabilize, lets be honest, if he did stabilize in that situation the pursuing plane would just light him up more no doubt...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

And?

cause x-plane said its not possible :music_whistling:

no but in all honesty, if you have about 10% of the wing left on one side like in the previous Posts/pics, wouldnt the lift thats being produced from the other wing be just too great for the dora to keep flying it (would the one remaining aileron and rudder be able to actually Counter?)? i understand if some of the wing was gone ,sure but that much?

im gonna have to tap these aerofoil numbers into my calc :pilotfly:

• ED Team
cause x-plane said its not possible :music_whistling:

no but in all honesty, if you have about 10% of the wing left on one side like in the previous Posts/pics, wouldnt the lift thats being produced from the other wing be just too great for the dora to keep flying it (would the one remaining aileron and rudder be able to actually Counter?)? i understand if some of the wing was gone ,sure but that much?

im gonna have to tap these aerofoil numbers into my calc :pilotfly:

Where did you see 10%? And what is the previous post you point to?

Edited by Yo-Yo

And?

Sometimes it shows the plane that does roll. Skyraider in Duxford after a midair collision with P-51 turned full 360 degrees roll too. But it landed safely.

Who can say, that the pilot was not shot dead or wounded with the same burst? Who can say that feeling the bad hit and strange plane behaviour the pilot began to unlock harness to bail out?

Who can say that controls was not damaged (sometimes it happens even without fighting - few days ago Yak-52 crashed after the controls jammed).

UPD at 0-14 in your video the plane proceeds to roll left though a part of its RIGHT wing was ripped off. :) So what can it show?

Right. Because we can safely assume that in every video of a plane losing part of all of a wing, some other factor other than the obvious wing loss accounts for the death spiral every time. Also: in the one where the plane goes left after losing the wing, that aircraft was already most of the way over the apex of its roll, after losing its wing, momentum caused it to continue its roll, and you can notice that the rate increases on the side with less wing(and less drag) after it flops over.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Weed Be gone Needed

• ED Team
Hi,

Was just wondering if the flight model for single wing flight will be fixed in a later version? I can fly the Dora with a single wing (actually a bit of wing left) and land it ok also.

Anyone else have this?

Do you really think it's 10%???

• ED Team
Hi,

Was just wondering if the flight model for single wing flight will be fixed in a later version? I can fly the Dora with a single wing (actually a bit of wing left) and land it ok also.

Anyone else have this?

When showing things like this, its always best to include the track.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png