Governor switch

ebabil

can you explain this feature basically? when do we need to use this? should we use this in normal flight conditions?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

The function of the governor is to maintain the correct engine rpm at any given collective position, making sure that the rotor rpm doesn't drop during any stage of flight. You can put the governor switch to manual but at that position you have to work the throttle manually at every change of the flight controls. In normal conditions the switch is left in auto mode. Please correct me if I am wrong, all.

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)  | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4,5Ghz | 128Gb DDR4 3200Mhz | beQuiet! Dark Power 12 1200W | 2 x 2Tb M.2 Samsung SSD | 2 x 4 Tb M.2 Samsung SSD |  Aorus RTX3090 Xtreme 24Gb | Windows 10 Pro x64 | HOTAS Cougar (heavily modified) | MFG Crosswind pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | TrackIR5 | Oculus Quest 2 | VoiceAttack

Aviate Navigate Communicate

I flip the governor to manual to pick up when the load is heavy (Guns/Rockets/Gunners)

After pick up I climb to 75-100 FT AGL ( depending on terrain )

Pitch forward and wait until till I achieve 65 KTS before returning it to Auto.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/helicopter_flying_handbook/media/helicopter_flying_handbook.pdf

Chapter 3 will help.

Edited by scrtagnt69

;2178186']The function of the governor is to maintain the correct engine rpm at any given collective position' date=' making sure that the rotor rpm doesn't drop during any stage of flight. [/quote']

It's an overspeed governor. It prevents N2 overspeed.

The droop compensator provides a mechanical linkage between the governor speed selector and the collective stick. If a sudden power demand occurs the fuel valves will open up a little extra to compensate.

A governor failure in the Huey will cause N2 overspeed

A droop compensator failure will cause a sudden loss of RPM if pitch is increased too fast.

Not quite your modern EEG, but it works.

'Frett'

I flip the governor to manual to pick up when the load is heavy (Guns/Rockets/Gunners)

After pick up I climb to 75-100 FT AGL ( depending on terrain )

Pitch forward and wait until till I achieve 65 KTS before returning it to Auto.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/helicopter_flying_handbook/media/helicopter_flying_handbook.pdf

Chapter 3 will help.

And you EGT with when doing this climbs to what numbers and for how long?

It's an overspeed governor. It prevents N2 overspeed.

The droop compensator provides a mechanical linkage between the governor speed selector and the collective stick. If a sudden power demand occurs the fuel valves will open up a little extra to compensate.

A governor failure in the Huey will cause N2 overspeed

A droop compensator failure will cause a sudden loss of RPM if pitch is increased too fast.

Not quite your modern EEG, but it works.

Thanks Frett. I need to study the manual better. :smilewink:

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)  | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4,5Ghz | 128Gb DDR4 3200Mhz | beQuiet! Dark Power 12 1200W | 2 x 2Tb M.2 Samsung SSD | 2 x 4 Tb M.2 Samsung SSD |  Aorus RTX3090 Xtreme 24Gb | Windows 10 Pro x64 | HOTAS Cougar (heavily modified) | MFG Crosswind pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | TrackIR5 | Oculus Quest 2 | VoiceAttack

Aviate Navigate Communicate