Question on FRAPS and System

So, I bought a GTX780 Poseidon. I have an i7 2600 running at 3.5Ghz and 8 GB Ram.

I got this

2014-09-16 19:50:43 - dcs

Frames: 15456 - Time: 290161ms - Avg: 53.267 - Min: 32 - Max: 64

My question is... I'm running one monitor, max settings on everything. If I goto 3 will i see significant FPS drop?

I'm happy with what I'm getting, just not sure what I'm up against with the extra resolution.

Dale

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

You have two choices:

spread the view over 3 monitors ( for DCS only one monitor is defined, which covers the entire desktop).

Your FPS will drop to about 25 FPS regarding to your current 53 FPS. This view will give you a distort impression because you have only one big view window. A view angle more than 90 degrees is almost not usable.

The other possibility is to define 3 view channels of 60 degrees (3 monitors for DCS). This view is not perfect, but ways better than one big window. This drags the frames down to about 15 FPS. Because DCS has to calculate the view 3 times. You have to play with the option to increase the FPS if it is possible.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow that bad eh. I guess I'll need a new processor and some ram. Maybe some liquid cooling on the card and processor as well.

Thanks

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

The idea behind the cooling would be as a precursor to over clocking.

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

A good liquid cooler will give you a higher clock. My frames increased substantially going from 4Ghz to 5Ghz. I'm not sure if the extra 2 cores factored into the equation. xtremesystems.org has some extensive testing of different water cooling configurations to give you an idea of what to expect. You may want to consider a 4Gb card to use 3 or 4 monitors.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Try turning off Hyper-Threading and running your i7 at around 4 Ghz. Should see some improvement, I'm not sure it's going to get you the kind of FPS you want if you still want to put everything at max, however. Some things (like civilian traffic, etc) are superfluous and you won't really miss them, but turning them down'll help widen the CPU bottleneck.

Excellent info. I'll give xtremesystems a solid read and aeliusg, your are 100% correct. I will turn off/down things that don't really matter. i am much more interested in the actual targets, trees and traffic are a far second.

Dale

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

So got the monitors and went down to 25 fps. I'll play with the settings a bit and do some mild over clocking to the gtx780 and cpu. Should be over 40 with that.

Dale

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet