Ka-50 Armour Modelling Right or Wrong?

Avio

Was trying to take out a few BMP using cannon and was surprised to find the Ka-50 acting like jelly under fire --- it seems too easily destroyed by the armour fire.

In comparison, the Huey seems just the opposite --- it is able to take tremendous amount of hits everywhere and anywhere and still fly. Even hits through and all over the cockpit windscreen didn't seem to cause a dent in the pilot's body.

Now which is the more correctly modelled one here, the Ka-50 or the Huey?

While the UH-1 and Mi-8 (at least in their AI incarnations since I don't have the modules) seem more ridiculously though than Ka-50, especially the UH-1, Ka-50 doesn't shy away too much either.

Once I got shot by a friend using combined arms, he shot me with a 120mm AP round from and M1 Abrams, pilot died instantly but the helicopter was still more or less pristine. :) It also takes 3 ATGW direct hits or 2-3 MANPADS hits to bring Ka-50 for good. Also, I shot at Mi-8 and UH-1 from my Ka-50 with Vikhr missiles, 3 direct hits, and they would still be flying alright.

From what mods here post in other threads about damage model, whole damage system will be improved down the road anyway. Lets hope sooner than later :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

its not very correct if a round hits your ka-50 right in the nose (probably the probe at the front) it wont do any damage what so ever, though that is probably a bug.

but ill agree the mi-8 and huey are insane, ive even shot them up while playing as CA and players flying them, and they are hard to bring down unless you hit the engine(s), or somehow kill the crew.

I dont believe that.

From what I experienced so far:

1. huey will get cut in half by a single 30mm round from a bmp2, even a burst of 14.5mm tore off my tail a few times. And cockpit hits with 30mm usually kill the pilot.

2. The KA50, while being very stable to fly even with heavy damage, still very very very quickly loses all targeting systems by light enemy fire. Usually during combat, the first hit destroys the targeting systems, but then you can still fly home, even with one engine on fire and the tail missing.

3. The Mi8 is a very large target and you will end up with a burning engine very quickly if getting shot at by anything larger than 7.62

Also keep in mind the huey and mi8 have a lot of empty space in the helicopter, so hits might not hit vital systems.

The Ka-50 visual damage model is the most detailed of all the DCS modules so far. It also seems to respond to damage fairly realistically, since it takes a lot of punishment to actually down it, but not nearly as much to render it combat ineffective. (similar to the A-10C).

The Huey and Hip can sometimes take more hits and still be combat effective due to their simple weapons systems, but shooting them down outright is easier than downing a Ka-50.

Maybe I am flying a different DCS but my Kamov takes considerable damage and often still takes me home, with what is left of it.

When I fly the Huey or Mi-8, all it needs is one stupid head shot and the show is over, that never happens in a Ka-50.

About 30mm rounds....well, there are limits what it can take and what it can't, as said above by ShuRugal. The good thing is that despite it is the same gun/barrel, the Ka can stay far enough away to aim & kill any BMP without risking anything. You just have to stay 3.7-3.9km away and send a few bursts towards it. with 3-4 bursts it usually kills any BMP, ZSU, what you like at this range, HE-LOW is what I use. BMP's have never engaged me at the far end of the range limit ( 3.5-3.9km ).

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

IMO the problem is different.

DCS World lack the fragmentation model for HE shells.

For overcome this problem the "Impact Effect" was greatly enhanced (IMHO exagerated).

This produce a plausible scenario when is the Ka-50 to shoot at any IFV/APC or at Infantry in the open but, in the particular case "BMP-2 Vs Ka-50" the power of the BMP-2's 2A42 is way too high, making the BMP-2 acting as a dedicated AAA.

Edited by flanker0ne
Typo

I can't comment on if the damage models are correct or not, but keep in mind that the UH-1 and Mi-8 are cargo helicopters, which are mostly empty space, where the KA-50 is jam packed with systems and avionics. It's likely that terminal ballistics aren't modeled all that well.

the power of the BMP-2's 2A42 is way too high, making the BMP-2 acting as a dedicated AAA.

I don't know. Those 30mm rounds are pretty powerful - I don't think there's any aircraft that can shrug off a barrage of these.

The cockpit of the Ka-50 is designed to offer protection against 20mm rounds and may prevent a 30mm round from doing too much damage to vital systems (like the pilot). But even then a single 30mm hit is likely a mission kill - take multiple hits and you're lucky to live and tell.

Not sure about the UH-1 damage model though.

Edited by Blackeye

Maybe I am flying a different DCS but my Kamov takes considerable damage and often still takes me home, with what is left of it.

When I fly the Huey or Mi-8, all it needs is one stupid head shot and the show is over, that never happens in a Ka-50.

Bit

Very strangely, my encounter is exactly the opposite. Maybe we're really flying diff DCS. I had mine patched to latest.