How to not blow my engine in midflight?

stray cat

How to not blow my engine in midflight?

So far I had my engine shut off in 3 flights after being on full thrust and afterburner for about 2 minutes. I did not pull any intense G maneuvers. On another flight I was able to avoid this.

Is there something important on cold start one can mess up to cause these shutdowns? Because the flights where I started in the air, I never got an engine shut.

Also how to restart the engine in flight if that happens?

The engine shutdown shows the 2 compressor needles being at 20 on the gauge, not moving or reacting to thrust changes.

You sure you did not run out of fuel? Why are you running afterburner for two minutes?

In any event, post a track if you have issues.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

The Mig has feeder tanks for negative g situations, that also can feed the engines in 0g conditions. However, feeder tank capacity is quit small, and especially arround 0g not all of it might be usable.

Thefore, if you have high fuel flow because you are running on after burner, you might starve your engine off fuel in a few seconds of 0g flight.

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

This might answer the OP

From the manual

20. Negative g-loads may be developed for not longer than:

(a) 15 s at non-reheat engine settings;

(b) 5 s at reheat settings;

© 3 s at second reheat setting.

21. Flight with g-loads approximating zero (±0.2 g) should not last

for longer than 1 -2 s.

WARNING Negative or near-zero g-load flight is allowed provided

the tanks contain at least 500 L of fuel

22. Repeated application of negative or near-zero g-load is allowed

only after at least 30 s flying at positive g-load.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Where can I find single player replays? I did not save it manually.

In that case you do not. Always save tracks at exit of mission as prompted when issues arise.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I know very little about flying fast jets or how they work. What scenarios would the use of afterburners come in to play ?

Any time you need the additional thrust. Just be aware of:

* Airflow (due to airspeed)

* AoA vs. airspeed

* be careful making rapid thrust changes (e.g. max afterburner to idle - take it out of burner, then slowly reduce power to prevent surging)

I already caused an inlet surge on my first flight and it goes POP pretty darn loudly. Awesome feature. I was flying the aircraft in ways it should not be flown though... :pilotfly:

If you look in external view, reducing power causes the spill doors on the side of the nose cone to open. 8)

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango
  • Like 1

Also, if you put this thing in reheat, you can almost see the fuel needle move towards empty. At one point I had 2000kg of fuel left after an intercept, so I decided to burn some before landing. I did one biggish circuit in afterburner and I was down almost to 1000kg. And I wasn't even using the emergency reheat mode.

Also, if you put this thing in reheat, you can almost see the fuel needle move towards empty. At one point I had 2000kg of fuel left after an intercept, so I decided to burn some before landing. I did one biggish circuit in afterburner and I was down almost to 1000kg. And I wasn't even using the emergency reheat mode.

I swear they connected "reheat" to "fuel dump". :D I haven't actually timed how long it is from full tanks to empty with reheat.

I think the fuel gauge is in liters, not kg. All the fuel warning lights are liters based.

Best regards,

Tango.

Edited by Tango

I swear they connected "reheat" to "fuel dump". :D I haven't actually timed how long it is from full tanks to empty with reheat.

I think the fuel gauge is in liters, not kg. All the fuel warning lights are liters based.

Best regards,

Tango.

How long?

Answer not very :P

Be near a field/road/airfield :P

Pman

In any case, I had 2000 somethings out of the less than 3000 somethings that fit in the tank, and went down to 1000 somethings ;). Seriously though, I'll look it up in the manual.

Any time you need the additional thrust. Just be aware of:

* Airflow (due to airspeed)

* AoA vs. airspeed

* be careful making rapid thrust changes (e.g. max afterburner to idle - take it out of burner, then slowly reduce power to prevent surging)

I already caused an inlet surge on my first flight and it goes POP pretty darn loudly. Awesome feature. I was flying the aircraft in ways it should not be flown though... :pilotfly:

If you look in external view, reducing power causes the spill doors on the side of the nose cone to open. 8)

Best regards,

Tango.

Cheers:thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I lost my engine in a tailspin during my most recent flight. Exciting! I plunged 20,000 ft. and blacked out twice before I could recover. Then I noticed the engine had failed during the spin. I hit the emergency restart switch and prayed, just 2,000 ft. above the ground. And it restarted!

I didn't make the landing without damage though. Had a bit too much vertical velocity and the left main gear got damaged.