Gun Sight Inaccuracy ?

CoBlue

When I come in close to the target(A-A) I loose the gun's radar sight? It gets small like if it's "searching" again, even though I have the aircraft right in front of me & not pulling G's. See track below.

It wasn't like that before? makes A-A a pain!

Edited by CoBlue

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

When I come in close to the target(A-A) I loose the gun's radar sight? It gets small like if it's "searching" again, even though I have the aircraft right in front of me & not pulling G's. See track below.

Yap...same here..."sum ting wong"...!? :huh:

[sIGPIC]D:\avioni\razno\potpis 1 orao.jpg[/sIGPIC]

Yes, it seems to be at a range of exactly 1000 ft, you lose radar lock. I've tested it myself and same results.

• 4 weeks later...

The same thing happens to me. If the sight is really improved now and operating the way it should, I would love to see someone post a tutorial on how to use the sight, as is. :joystick:

The radar controlled sight is designed to frustrate you and drive you to use the fixed sight and learn off angle/lead shooting skills.;) And since the update, I am getting better and better with each flight against that rascally Mig-15bis.:thumbup:

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

I also noticed after i took control of Track to see if throttle rotate counterclockwise had something to say (original manual says turn it all the way, for gunning), and the radar ranging knob, that after lock, it stayes locked, even if you turn Radar all the way down.

Until you move to a side and loose lock. Then the radar is shut off.

FiringGuns.jpg

Edited by Buzpilot

i5 4670 - Sabertooth Z87- GTX Titan - Dell U3011 30" - 2x8GB RAM 1800 - Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD - Warthog HOTAS - CH Pro pedals - TrackIR5 - Win7 64bit

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :thumbup:

The radar controlled sight is designed to frustrate you and drive you to use the fixed sight and learn off angle/lead shooting skills.;) And since the update, I am getting better and better with each flight against that rascally Mig-15bis.:thumbup:

He!He! :) I should try that out. I need to practice my shooting skills. :joystick:

Well, I do hope this is a priority fix .. if indeed it is broken. Seems odd not to be able to track a target within 1000 ft.

Sure, if there is something wrong, I am sure that the team will address the issue. Right now, I am not too sure if the issue is just related to some of us, including myself, not following a procedure to properly ready the gun sight or what not. :thumbup:

I also noticed after i took control of Track to see if throttle rotate counterclockwise had something to say (original manual says turn it all the way, for gunning), and the radar ranging knob, that after lock, it stayes locked, even if you turn Radar all the way down.

Until you move to a side and loose lock. Then the radar is shut off.

Ah ha! :doh: The next time I get to sim with the DCS Sabre, I am going to try the procedure, as is described in the directions you posted. Admittedly, I have not followed that exact procedure to ready my gun sight. In particular, I have not allowed for a warm up period in sight camera radar. My failure to do so, and/ or some other thing(s), may account for the gun sight performance irregularities. :yes:

Edited by mjmorrow

Ah ha! :doh: The next time I get to sim with the DCS Sabre, I am going to try the procedure, as is described in the directions you posted. Admittedly, I have not followed that exact procedure to ready my gun sight. In particular, I have not allowed for a warm up period in sight camera radar. My failure to do so, and/ or some other thing(s), may account for the gun sight performance irregularities. :yes:

Hehe, I did say it was from the original manual, F-86F :smartass: Just in case it's modelled very accurate, I wanted to show why i mentioned the procedure in section 5.

Edited by Buzpilot

i5 4670 - Sabertooth Z87- GTX Titan - Dell U3011 30" - 2x8GB RAM 1800 - Samsung 840 EVO 512GB SSD - Warthog HOTAS - CH Pro pedals - TrackIR5 - Win7 64bit

EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE :thumbup:

I have a question about the manual ranging dial, when i turn down the range it stops at 12 and when i turn it up it stops at something like 24, i don't seem to be able to bring it to the minimum or maximum. Is this normal?

I have used both the Axis command and button command for manual ranging. ( i think i am also experiencing this with the P-51)

So what is the correct procedure to get this thing working right? Turn the range fully down on the manual range twist grip? I've only had this thing a couple of days but this sight makes you long for the K-14 or EZ42 sight pretty quickly. I'm averaging between 1-3 kills on the Mig sweep mission but should really be hitting 4 to 5 will all the ammo I'm wasting by estimating without a fixed sight. This thing will pick up a cloud 3000 ft away but not the Mig15 less than 200 yards right in front of me.

• 4 weeks later...

i don't mind to work with betas for ages but i want to see some feedbacks or communications or updates from dev's from time to time!!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Hmm, I hadn't seen this thread. The 1000ft issue is known, and is not being ignored.

Looks like BST made a bit of a tweak in the last patch. The radar gun sight will now provide a solution down to a minimum 600 ft range. This is a nice improvement over the 1000 ft minimum range that it was before.

AFAIK all documentation states that the Radar had a MINIMUM operating range of 600ft.

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

All radars that emit a pulse and then "listen" for a reflection from a target have a minimum range. The radar must blank out its receiver while transmitting. Most radars use the same antenna for both transmitting and receiving, so a special switch is used to go back to "listening" after transmitting. Electromagnetic waves move at the speed of light, so the minimum range is at least the duration of the transmission pulse times the speed of light. It absolutely amazes me that we can build electronics that are fast enough, stable enough, and powerful enough for radar to work at all... much less the modern digitally enhanced monsters of today.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 7 months later...

Hi.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, if its a bug, or its by design, or if the real F86 was set up this way.

In DCS in the F86 flying straight and level at 1G when the A4 gun sight is mechanically caged if i fire my guns i see the tracers pass approximately 8-10 mils below the center dot of the reticle.

As i understand it when the sight is mechanically caged it ranges the sight down to 600ft as shown by the range dial, so the reticle should be depressed to cross the paths of the projectiles at at this range 600ft. So when looking through the sight you would see the tracers coming up to the center dot, pass through it, above it and then fall away at longer ranges. As i see it the sight reticle is set too high and the tracers never come up to the center dot and are always below.

I have noticed a similar problem with the Gyro/radar gun sight too. For example if i fly 300-400 yards behind a Mig (a simple mission i made to test this) either matching his speed or with some closure, if i put the center dot on his tail pipe and fire i always see my tracers pass a couple of feet below him and observe no impacts, if i place my center dot on the top of his rudder/elevator and fire i see my tracers hit just above his tail pipe and observe impacts/hit flashes. again its as through the reticle is set too high in this case by 3-4 mils approximately. The results are the same if i electrically cage the sight.

If in the above test i switch to the rocket sight with 0 mils depression and place the center dot on the Migs tail pipe i see my tracers hitting in this area and observe impacts/hit flashes. This is also what i use when shooting ground targets as using the mech cage sight (as per quick manual instructions) causes the rounds to strike the ground in front of the target and obscures it with dust etc and is very wasteful of ammunition, but using the rocket sight at 0 mils depression (or maybe 2-3mils if you prefer to shoot from a bit further out) is very accurate for GA.

Like i say i'm not sure if this is a bug or if its intended to be this way or if its how real F86 had its A4 and guns set up.

If anyone could comment or advise on this i would be grateful or if BST are aware if its a bug or a feature?

Many thanks Hub S!

• 1 month later...

Bug: Radar gunsight does not lock targets closer than 200m

I noticed with one of the earlier patches (quite a long time ago to be honest) that the gun sight is unable to function when a target is less than 200 meters.

The gunsight used to work very well before, and I have tried to look through the .lua files, but I do not see where the change occurred. Has anyone by chance found the error? It is a frustrating bug to have the sight simply stop tracking and drop below the nose when you get on an enemy's tail.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3