New key binds wanted

Tango

I did profile for Warthog, see in MiG21 part of Forum, worked well, but some of key in final version was missed and changed.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129553

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Why does ED not provide an API to standardize this? Seems like every 3rd party is trying to reinvent the wheel here. Fiirst Belsimtek with their toggle-switches only approach, now Letherneck with their no toggle-swichtes approach.

-Mathias

• Like 1

My System: Intel Core i7-4770K, Asus ROG Strix RX480 O8G, 24GB Ram

Why does ED not provide an API to standardize this? Seems like every 3rd party is trying to reinvent the wheel here. Fiirst Belsimtek with their toggle-switches only approach, now Letherneck with their no toggle-swichtes approach.

-Mathias

Agreed. :thumbup:

This is one area where a standard practice needs to be put in place and adhered to by everyone. I don't mind constructing a few creative commands for my Warthog profiles but it seems that every other aircraft requires a different approach to get to the same place.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

yep the key bindings are a bit dodgy, I can't open or close the canopy, just keeps making a hissing sound.

Brakes are annoying, not being able to bind the rudder to joystick buttons are also annoying. Many keys can not be bound to the joystick. I agree with the above that key bindings should be standardized across all modules. Other new switches can be added with modifiers but the main keys such as brakes and flaps and canopy should be the same across the board

Seconded.

So many switches that have on and off position require two binds. That is all nice and dandy for someone building a full simpit, but for the majority of us a toggle key that does on and off would do just fine.

For the example drag chute and gear cover require two binds while one would me more than enough. Same goes for nose wheel braking, etc...

Edited by T}{OR

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

I was wondering if some of these issues could be solved by defining some own macros, similar to how the autostart cheat (LWIN+HOME) is implemented.

Yeah, fml. The macros are hardcoded in the .DLL and not as .LUA code as in every other module. :hmm: Seems the 21 is really meant to be not moddable.:cry:

I'm actually pretty happy with the system so far.

The "on/off requires two button" is easily solved by editing "default.lua". Agreed, it's a bit of work, but once it's done it's done and the end-result is something that very precisely does what you want it to do.

Besides lua editing, there are so much possible solutions out there (Target, HELIOS, XPadder, any kind of "smart" keyboard/mouse/*thing with buttons*, etc.). I frankly am convinced that there already are tons of solutions for every concern raised in this thread, and that among them anyone would be able to find one that satisfies them fully.

IMO it's a good thing that the system is as modular as it is, and that every 3rd party is able to do as they please. We would lose so much of the potential for pit-building, or even simple tweaking, if everything had to "fit in the box". There is so much to learn from the other people's approach to a problem, and being able to change things on a very low level gives way for all kind of tinkering. That is something I'm very fond of with DCS =)

(also @ED: thank you so much for the diff.lua, I still have the occasional nightmare about the update process before that :beer:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The "on/off requires two button" is easily solved by editing "default.lua". Agreed, it's a bit of work, but once it's done it's done and the end-result is something that very precisely does what you want it to do.

Besides lua editing, there are so much possible solutions out there (Target, HELIOS, XPadder, any kind of "smart" keyboard/mouse/*thing with buttons*, etc.). I frankly am convinced that there already are tons of solutions for every concern raised in this thread, and that among them anyone would be able to find one that satisfies them fully.

IMO it's a good thing that the system is as modular as it is, and that every 3rd party is able to do as they please. We would lose so much of the potential for pit-building, or even simple tweaking, if everything had to "fit in the box". There is so much to learn from the other people's approach to a problem, and being able to change things on a very low level gives way for all kind of tinkering. That is something I'm very fond of with DCS =)

(also @ED: thank you so much for the diff.lua, I still have the occasional nightmare about the update process before that :beer:)

A fine grained modularity here is certainly a good thing and it is obvious that LNS took the concerns and suggestions of the community regarding this topic in the past into account. Props to LNS for that!

But now the "middle ground" it is lacking a bit, ways of how to plug all the low level stuff together to something, hrm, more user-friendly - for users of standard, off the shelf HOTAS devices. Yes, it is possible to do that with external software, but frankly, I don't want to program my G940 and "waste" one of it's precious buttons for, i.e. the Gear Up/Down functionality. I don't need that within the reach of my fingers all the time - I need it only 1, 2, or mabe even 4 times in a mission and therefore I was always happy to hit the G on my keyboard for that. But without a pre-defined input function this is not possible with the MiG-21 atm.

As a person who doesn't have the time to modify .lua files to get a simple pinky switch on TM Hog to act as toggle on and off for nose wheel brake, I am not happy with this solution.

In the latest patch, Fw-190D9 module introduced on and off keys for EZ42 gunsight while maintaining the old one-key bind toggles as well. That works for everyone. Not the case with Mig-21Bis.

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

As a first step it would be nice, to make all keyboard commands available for joystick. E.g. the flaps can be raised and lowered via the keyboard, but for the stick I can only assign the specific positions. Also there are a couple of axis, like radar range, wing span, etc, that can not be linked to a stick axis.

I really love that module and will be forever grateful, but please keep all those guys without sophisticated homecockpits in mind :smilewink:

My HOTAS has to do the job and it has only so many buttons. This will be even more important, when the Oculus Rift finally hits the shelfs! :joystick:

Rock 'n' Roll!

Henning

Agree with the requests made so far, particulary the flaps and airbrakes.

Would like to add that the Throttle off/idle needs a two position command not just toggle (it's actually sort of wierd that LD with their mostly no Toggle aproach left this as tottle only or Inc./dec. in case of the flaps).

A toggle button for the mirror would be nice too. I usually fly with mirrors off because of the FPS hit but would like to turn it on for landings to make sure my chute deploys and jettisons.

i5 4590 @ 3.77GHz | GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 1TB HDD+500GB HDD | Win10 Home X64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
* Landing gear could use a toggle key (down -> neutral -> up -> neutral -> down )

* Flaps need keyboard shortcut for each position and Warthog flap switch support would be welcome

* Air brake needs toggle key

Afterburner toggle on/off

Emergency Afterburner toggle on/off

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well at the moment I'm trying to have my first hours with the MiG 21, but this also drives me crazy. Especially "normal" operations like flaps, gears etc. I'm using the X55 so I have enough switches especially on my Throttle to be mapped but for some standard things (e.g. airbrakes, gears etc.) I have to use two buttons, really?

Problem is that I'm trying to have a "standard" layout of the main switches, which I have for all of the planes. I know this can be changed in the files itself but...well yes, please do a patch for that.

The MiG 21 is the highest quality Add-On we've seen so far, so please LSN finish it also in this subjects.

Edited by F31!x

Seconded.

So many switches that have on and off position require two binds. That is all nice and dandy for someone building a full simpit, but for the majority of us a toggle key that does on and off would do just fine.

+1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No exactly a key bind, but it would be useful to use the mouse wheel to tune RSBN/PRMG channels and radios, like in the other modules, instead of clicking 30 times to get to the Kobuleti channel (15) on both receivers.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro