TM Warthog Keybinds For 3 and 2 Position Switches

Colseg

is it possible to add the 3 and 2 position switch definitions somewhere where it doest get overwritten with every update? for example, in saved games?

+1; new to the mig-21 and my 1st 3rd party module. I do not want to overwrite after every update; I've tried to put a file in saved games with no success. I just like to use warthog 3 position flap lever for landing gear (up, neutral and down) and 3 position boat switch for flaps (up, t/o, landing). 18 pages of topic starting from 2014 and no official warthog support yet???

I've found a modded default.lua file to put under mod/aircraft/mig-21bis/input/mig-21/joystick subfolder, allowing me to set the desired switches. I've downloaded ovGME to speed up the process after every update, nevertheless it would be possible to have an official support for hotas warthog 3 way switches?

• 10 months later...

I used this Thread Info to make X56 Slider work properly as Speed Brake!

This default.lua file when placed in the location specified by the file structure within the zipped archive will add the extra bindings:

2 Position

"Alternate Airbrakes On"

This thread http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2289411 explains in detail the format of the keybinding lines in the Lua.

If anyone has any requests for other modified mappings I can look into adding them to this file.

I was able to extract the one line I needed in the attachment on the first post to finally make my MiG21 Airbrake work properly with my X56/X55 (2 position toggle) Slider switch!

--Alternate Airbrakes
{down=device_commands.Airbrakes,up=device_commands.Airbrakes,cockpit_device_id=devices.AIRBRAKE,value_down=1.0,value_up=0.0,name='Airbrakes Slider - Extend/Retract',category='Flight Controls'},  -- for Slider Switch on X56/X55 or any 2 Position Switch |UP = Pressed & DOWN = Released| 

I just wanted to say THANKS!

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

• 6 months later...

Why?? And I mean WHY didn't I find this thread before having to learn about .lua and before I made my own custom keybindings?? Sometimes forum search, and even google search are exasperating…

A bit late, but thanks for the job, at least I'll check the syntax I wrote and everything using this, maybe add some more keybindings.

S!

• Like 2

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to make an absolute switch for the launch allow on/off? The default one is a toggle so even with custom lua I can't guarantee that my switch isn't out of sync with the cockpit one.

I'm also interested in a cutoff absolute switch as well for the same reason.

Nope, sync "problems" happens all of the time no matter the controls setup you use, in this or any other module. I've kind of incorporated to my workflow every time I sit in a cockpit checking all the switches positions before starting, and even with that many times I've to move some switch before I get it fully synced. That's not a MiG-21 thing, it happens every time in all the modules. For instance even when I remember to set my throttles to off (Warthog) in a cold and dark Hornet so many times I've to move them forward and again backwards before it gets to idle position while starting. It makes sense that the sim can't possibly "know" what the switch position is before starting, specially the off ones (no signal whatsoever), but I don't know if something could be done to improve that from ED's part.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

While it's true that DCS as a program needs to see DirectX activity to initialize button state that can be done at the main menu well before sitting in a cockpit. E.g. put F-16 switch in dogfight, then launch DCS, then sit in F-16: doesn't know. But if I move switch at main menu and then fly it knows. That's just a limitation of DX and it's a once per EXE runtime issue.

However other modules have absolute commands for putting Switch X in Position A instead of just toggle. They might start unknown or out of sync but cycle the button once and everything fixes itself. In MiG-21 with toggle commands I flip switch on, switch goes off forever out of sync no matter how many cycles. Right  now there is only a "toggle launch allow" command and not two commands "launch allow ON" and "launch allow OFF".

Actually there is an absolute set of bindings for "pusk" but you have to make it yourself. Before it would kinda work but the animation got desynced (switch click spot was up but animation was down). It's working now so I've written a custom command to do that.

But the throttle toggle cannot be made absolute at least not with my knowledge. This is unlike F-16, A-10, Mirage, etc. which have absolute on/off throttle commands.

12 hours ago, Frederf said:

However other modules have absolute commands for putting Switch X in Position A instead of just toggle. They might start unknown or out of sync but cycle the button once and everything fixes itself. In MiG-21 with toggle commands I flip switch on, switch goes off forever out of sync no matter how many cycles. Right  now there is only a "toggle launch allow" command and not two commands "launch allow ON" and "launch allow OFF".

Actually there is an absolute set of bindings for "pusk" but you have to make it yourself. Before it would kinda work but the animation got desynced (switch click spot was up but animation was down). It's working now so I've written a custom command to do that.

But the throttle toggle cannot be made absolute at least not with my knowledge. This is unlike F-16, A-10, Mirage, etc. which have absolute on/off throttle commands.

Yep, that's what I'm working on at the moment, using the bindings here as a "base" and the ones I've written myself before I found this thread. I have one syntax working that here in the original file isn't, that's at least something, but the throttle idle detent is apparently impossible to set since it kind of makes two movements in every toggle and I haven't the faintest on how to manage that.

S!

2 hours ago, Desert Fox said:

Had the MiG-21 in my cart recently. Then remembered how i asked for proper mapping options half a year ago. Obviously nothing changed till now.

So i got myself some nice warbird instead despite i'd loved to support M3 and development of Russian aircraft.

But quality of life features like this are a sales argument and i think it's a shame for every developer to have it's very customers do or try to do it themselves. Can't and won't support this anymore. Sorry.

The day i can map my HOTAS without crawling lua files or doing external software gymnastics (like the horrible TARGET), the Fishbed is an immediate buy.

I feel your pain, but I can tell you it's really worth it despite any keybinding "problem". It's such a nice aircraft, really.

S!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why is Magnitude 3 so reclutant not adding an official multi position switches support to their module? Is that so difficult? Is there some sort of philosophy behind it? I do not state it's a game breaking issue or a reason not to buy the module as someone stated (indeed I own it), but an official answer to this topic would be kind. Just to know why and get over it.

P.S. I hate mods and this is the only one I am forced to use (apart from vaicom pro and tacview, but those are not properly "mods", more "external tools")

Edited by nessuno0505
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, nessuno0505 said:

Why is Magnitude 3 so reclutant not adding an official multi position switches support to their module? Is that so difficult? Is there some sort of philosophy behind it? I do not state it's a game breaking issue or a reason not to buy the module as someone stated (indeed I own it), but an official answer to this topic would be kind. Just to know why and get over it.

P.S. I hate mods and this is the only one I am forced to use (apart from vaicom pro and tacview, but those are not properly "mods", more "external tools")

I agree.

For anyone that has more than a few planes, having to MOD all the default.lua's for your planes is far from ideal, especially if the planes are Early Access and subject to getting new keybindings from the devs during monthly patching.  My peeve is always the airbrake.. lol. 

As @YealmRota mentions there is a "New - DCS Input Command Injector" that Quaggles posted recently.  It lets you add any custom Joystick and Keyboard binding to your Saved Games and you only need to Modify  Data.lua in DCS\Scripts\Input folder from the  DCS Main Game folder.

Check out the DCS forum Thread here with details and comments from those that have downloaded it already. 

cheers. 

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]