[RESOLVED] Potential Radio problem

Cruiser18

*Edit* Putting the fix here so people won't have to plow through the thread.

Symptom: "Easy communications" is off. Power and radio is on. No communication is possible with ATC, Wingman or groundcrew.

The Fix: Open the offending mission in the editor. Make minor change and then save the mission. Communications should now work perfectly.

*Original post*

Just tried my hand at the "Intercept" Instant mission, and I found that I could not communicate with anyone.

The radio was powered on, switch was set to radio, and I got hiss from radio if I turned squelch off so audio was correct. I tried communicating with my wingman and the AWACS on Channel 0 as pr the briefings instructions, but no reply. I also tried tuning to channel 14 to contact the ATC, but no reply there either.

I checked the mission file and confirmed that my wingman and the ATC was on the correct frequencies.

I also referenced the manual to confirm that I used the radio system correctly.

I then tried turning on "Easy Communications" in the options menu and now I was able to contact everyone around me again.

Is there a bug with the radio system, or am I doing something wrong with the radio even though it seems so simple to operate?

Edited by Cobra847

No any problems in cold start for me with - ATC, Ground Contro, rearm refuell or AWACS. Maybe You take wrong chanell and Radio isnt powered and switch is for signal? Check Vol knob too of Radio.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Same here. I can't use the radio during cold start too.

set the correct channel, turn on radio power, find the correct AF.

no problem here

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

set the correct channel, turn on radio power, find the correct AF.

no problem here

I already did these things as I explained in the initial post.

Just tried it again in the cold start. Converters on, battery heat on, Battery on, DC Gen on, radio on. Dialed to channel 14 and tried talking to ATC, no response.

Went to options and set it to "Easy communications", did the same thing and now ATC answered me. Seems I can only make communications work with easy communications on.

I already did these things as I explained in the initial post.

Just tried it again in the cold start. Converters on, battery heat on, Battery on, DC Gen on, radio on. Dialed to channel 14 and tried talking to ATC, no response.

Went to options and set it to "Easy communications", did the same thing and now ATC answered me. Seems I can only make communications work with easy communications on.

sry, I tried then and same as your problem. But if I build a complete same mission at nalchik, rwy rdy, no problem

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

sry, I tried then and same as your problem. But if I build a complete same mission at nalchik, rwy rdy, no problem

I HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM!

This was good information, it lead me to solving the problem. I tried making an editor mission and there I could communicate perfectly with ATC. I then initially also tried loading in the Cold start mission in the editor and running it, but the problem persisted. I then made just a small change and back to make the editor register that I had altered something, and then I saved the mission and retried it. Now I could communicated perfectly with the ATC.

It seems that the fix is to load a mission into the editor, make any change and then save the mission. I confirmed it by doing the same to the Intercept mission. Load it up, make a small change, save it, run the mission, ATC works perfectly.

What causes it though is beyond me. Maybe it's a discrepancy between the version of the missions and version of DCS world.

• Like 1

This was good information, it lead me to solving the problem. I tried making an editor mission and there I could communicate perfectly with ATC. I then initially also tried loading in the Cold start mission in the editor and running it, but the problem persisted. I then made just a small change and back to make the editor register that I had altered something, and then I saved the mission and retried it. Now I could communicated perfectly with the ATC.

It seems that the fix is to load a mission into the editor, make any change and then save the mission. I confirmed it by doing the same to the Intercept mission. Load it up, make a small change, save it, run the mission, ATC works perfectly.

What causes it though is beyond me. Maybe it's a discrepancy between the version of the missions and version of DCS world.

Good. It makes sense

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Maybe it's a discrepancy between the version of the missions and version of DCS world.

This is quite possible. Missions are created some time ago. While some of them were opened for editing and re-saved, older that were not "refreshed" might have this radio issue.

This "bug" appears because we changed radio menu (in ME) in the meantime.

Thank you Cruiser and guys.

Power through superb knowledge, training and teamwork.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

like previously stated, the missions were built in a earlier version of DCS:world. Now that updates have come and gone, you must open the broke missions in the editor and simply resave them. The editor will do the rest and you will have updated missions.

This has been a "try this first" move on the mission building sub-forums for quite a while. After an update everyones missions are broke. Open, Save, Close, All Better.

I came searching why I could not figure out the radio in the cold start mission. I'm glad to see this is the problem and not other things. Also means all the Mig-21, F-15, UH-1, F-86, P-51, FW-190 missions would probably benefit from a open, save, close refresh.

any further problems and this should be the "try this first" move

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I am trying to play the campaign now and in the first mission I get no response from anyone - ATC, Wingman, AWACS. The channel doesn't matter.

I have battery on, power on, radio station power on (RV17).

Do I have to open and re-save every single mission now?

Also, has anyone noticed that the channels between the briefings kneeboard and the sheet in the cockpit don't match?

For example for Kutaisi:

Kneeboard: Channel 10

Briefing: Channel 10

Sheet in Cockpit: Channel 11

Neither work btw.

Could someone confirm if this is a bug or not ? The campaign is such a joy to play up until the point where you can't contact AWACS and then you have to start all over again! :( Some pretty long flights in there :D

Just happened to me, I opened up the mission editor and set up a wingman , Awacs , and was fine.

Campaign missions are borked ... I tried the open a save trick too , but it did not seem to work. I will continue to play some more with that .

• 3 weeks later...

I found in my campaign all my awacs were set to 124 MHz. I edited each awacs freq to be 150 MHz. As well, my awacs were not set as awacs in the "start mission enroute" or whatever it was called. Lastly, most awacs in the campaign had ridiculously short routes, like 40 km before RTB, so I changed them. As well, later in the mission you get AFAC etc. their freq were the same as some ATC..they too had to be changed.

These all may just have been glitches introduced over the patches, but it all works now.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I really want to make a start in the MiG 21 campaign but i'm having this issue with the radios.. I understand that opening the mission and saving it fixes the issue, but the problem I am having is the ME will not allow me to edit the campaign missions? How can I fix this?

Any help would be awesome.

Smudge

Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

https://www.youtube.com/user/504smudge

https://www.facebook.com/504smudge

Hey guys, I really want to make a start in the MiG 21 campaign but i'm having this issue with the radios.. I understand that opening the mission and saving it fixes the issue, but the problem I am having is the ME will not allow me to edit the campaign missions? How can I fix this?

Any help would be awesome.

Smudge

What do you mean "not allow you to edit". It works fine for me on my end.

Open ME, go to left bar and click open mission. Click on left for Mig21, click on Campaign folder and open the .miz files. Easy peasy.

Ok this seems to be a multi-layered issue.

We have

1. "old" mission with dysfunctional radio due to a new implemented desgin where opening/saving the mission in the me solves it

2. no radio functionality until the engine runs, regardless how we configure the electric system while startup

3. problems to reach appropriate radio stations due to a wrong channel list in the canopy, which reads channels 1 - 20 when it should read 0 - 19, so you actually have to subtract 1 from the shown table to contact the listed station

If you pay attention to these 3 issues combined, contact with ATC should be possible "as normal".

Wouldn't mark this thread as "resolved" though, as the proper corrections in game still need to be implemented.

when I open the mission in the ME edit something then hit save, the save icon turns dark blue, even if I try a save as it still won't save. when I exit the ME it warns me changes won't be saved. I can't figure out why it won't allow me to edit the campaign missions.

Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

https://www.youtube.com/user/504smudge

https://www.facebook.com/504smudge