Im confused onto what GPU i should get.

DCS is more demanding on the CPU, however, the GPU does get hit pretty hard. I went from an ATI 6950 2GB to an Asus 770GTX and am just blown away at how much of a difference there is. It runs much smoother than with the ATI card. The general consensus, I think now, is that Nvidia is the way to go at least.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, 64GB DDR 4, MSI Ventus 2070 Super, Samsung 970 M.2 NVMe, WD Blue 512GB SSD, TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Acer AH101 WMR

I would not go with AMD.

My 290 is the last one Ill buy from them

Do you think that getting 9 women pregnant will get you a baby in 1 month?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Lg 22'' 1920*1080

CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz +Zalman CNPS9900 max

Keyboard: Logitech G15

GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: Sidewinder X8

PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saytek X52, TrackIr5

RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr3 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz

Case: 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb

I'm personally considering picking up a 770 or 780 soon when the prices (hopefully) fall slightly from the 900-series launch.

How much, in your opinions, is 3 or 4 gigs of VRAM worth over 2 GB? Should I try hard to get 3 or 4 gigs, or will 2 be enough?

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

Since you use two monitors, I would recommend getting 3 or more. I don't think you can get a 780 with only two anyway.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I actually only ever display games on one of them, but who knows what kind of setup I'll get in the future.

I think you're right, the 780s have 3 GB at the lowest, and there are 770s with 4 GB. Would you rather get a 4 GB 770 for 3500 arbitrary currency units (ok, Swedish Crowns :P) or a 3 GB 780 for 4000?

Thanks.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

Wait for the 900 series to be released.

Not because you'd be getting them, no, the price-to-performance ratio will be off the charts and it won't really be worth it. Don't fall for the marketing, they've deliberately skipped 800 series tagging just to make it appear people using 600 and 700 series are one more generation behind.

When the 900's release, older models should see a price drop.

So when that happens, what to get? First off, I'd say go for nVidia. Most games these days prefer nVidia anyway and the physX is neat.

If DCS is all you'll play, there's really no reason to get anything more than 760, it's cheap and good. If you're gunning for more hardware-intensive upcoming games (say Witcher 3) or intend to play games on a 144hz monitor, do get something more powerful.

Considering vram: think double if you need 4 GB or even more RAM. What manufacturers and retail stores don't tell you is what you need vram for.

It comes down to pretty much resolution. If you play games on a single 1080p monitor, there is absolutely no reason in world to get anything more than 2 GB. Benchmarks between 2 and 4 GB of vram are barely different on 1920x1080, it's a waste to get 4 GB or more. vram comes into play when you blast the game on double or triple monitor setup, something bigger than 1080p, like 1440p or 4k. If you plan on doing that, then definitely get more vram.

Wait for the 900 series to be released.

Not because you'd be getting them, no, the price-to-performance ratio will be off the charts and it won't really be worth it. Don't fall for the marketing, they've deliberately skipped 800 series tagging just to make it appear people using 600 and 700 series are one more generation behind.

When the 900's release, older models should see a price drop.

The 900's are actually cheaper than the 700's and they use less power too....

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

The 900's are actually cheaper than the 700's and they use less power too....

Less power, yes, but there is absolutely no reliable source regarding the pricing so anything about that is just speculation. We can, at least, know for sure that older cards will drop and be cheaper.

Less power, yes, but there is absolutely no reliable source regarding the pricing so anything about that is just speculation. We can, at least, know for sure that older cards will drop and be cheaper.

Scratch that, found something. 970 supposedly goes for 329 dollarydoos.

Are you referring to the 900 series? Of course there is. They are released and in stock in several large online chains here in Sweden, I could buy one today.

Regarding the VRAM issue: yep, I know what you mean, but I also know that I have 1.5 GB VRAM right now, and that it's limiting me. Inside the cockpit of the MiG-21, for example, all of it is allocated. I feel a bit unsure about moving up to only 2 GB when I buy a new card. Luckily the 970s have 4, so I don't really need to make the 3 or 4 choice.

Edited by Corrigan