Finnish labels for the MiG-21 Bis cockpit

Chain

MiG-21Bis_FINAF_labels.png

mig3.jpg

mig2.jpg

mig1.jpg

mig_panel.jpg

Hello,

Finnish labels are well underway and about 90% of them are now done. After I have completed the whole pack I will give some of the indicators more love (not that kind of love ;)...I'll make them look a bit nicer). This is the first time I'm editing cockpit textures so bare with me.

If you want to try out the work in progress version it can be downloaded here:

18.9.2014 55%

10.12.2014 94% done: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1286396/ or http://bit.ly/1s9kJCi

Installation instructions (Thanks Kazereal and Uboats for the help):

1) download the cockpit texture package

2) extract the files into folder:

..\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\MiG-21BIS\Liveries\Mig-21_CP\custom\

3) in DCS options, make sure cockpit language is set to "english"

4) in DCS options, in Mig-21BIS options, select the custom cockpit support

If all was ok you should see the finnish labels and you don't need to overwrite the existing zip-file anymore.

-- Sama suomeksi -- Same in finnish --

1) lataa tekstuuripaketti

2) pura paketin tiedostot hakemistoon:

..\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\MiG-21BIS\Liveries\Mig-21_CP\custom\

3) DCS:n optioissa tarkista että ohjaamokielenä on nyt "englanti"

4) DCS:n optioissa tarkista että Mig-21BIS asetuksissa custom-ohjaamotuki on valittuna

Have fun and remember to report any bugs you find!

Chain

Edited by Chain
  • Like 1

System:

Windows 10 | i7-7700K @ 4.5 Ghz | 32GB of RAM | Nvidia GTX 1080, 3440x1440 | DELL Ultrawide U3415W | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 and 2 TB Seagate Barracuda | TM Warthog Hotas | SLAW F-16 Pedals | Oculus Rift CV1 and HTC Vive PRO VR

+ High fidelity F/A-18C simpit :)

MiG-21Bis_FINAF_labels.png

Hello,

Finnish labels are well underway and about 50% of them are now done. I will need to go get more reference photos to finish the rest of them.

If you want to try out the work in progress version it can be downloaded here:

NOTE: Set language setting from OPTIONS to RUSSIAN.

Link (50% done): https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr7e9ugifbeb68o/MiG-21_Cockpit.zip?dl=0

Installation instructions:

1.Make a backup of your \Mods\aircraft\MiG-21BIS\Textures\MiG-21_Cockpit.zip

2.Replace the MiG-21_Cockpit.zip with the one I provided in my link above.

Have fun and remember to report any bugs you find!

Chain

Nice work there mate :)

Thanks for this :thumbup:

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

Cool! Care to share pictures of Finnish Migs used in R&D?

Sure, when I have finished the labels :)

Chain

System:

Windows 10 | i7-7700K @ 4.5 Ghz | 32GB of RAM | Nvidia GTX 1080, 3440x1440 | DELL Ultrawide U3415W | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 and 2 TB Seagate Barracuda | TM Warthog Hotas | SLAW F-16 Pedals | Oculus Rift CV1 and HTC Vive PRO VR

New file is uploading. More updates today.

Chain

System:

Excellent! Have to try later :thumbup:

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Good work, but why it's overiting russian textures? Now that if i want change from other english aircraft to MiG-21 i have to go thru options first to change all textures from english to russian. Seem abit dumbdumb

Because I am trying to make this cockpit mod as realistic as possible. Finnish cockpit is a mix of russian and finnish labels and that is the reason I need to edit the russian cockpit. As Cobra said there might be a smarter way to do this in the near future. I hope you understand.

Chain

System:

Good work, but why it's overiting russian textures? Now that if i want change from other english aircraft to MiG-21 i have to go thru options first to change all textures from english to russian. Seem abit dumbdumb

It might be helpful if there was a way to add finnish as cockpit language selection to DCS options menu. That way user could have different variants without overwriting other options.

In case someone knows a way to add selections that would be cool since other languages in other aircrafts could benefit from that also.

Edit:

in the file options.lua in USER\Saved Games\DCS\Config has line:

["cockpitLanguage"] = "russian",

changing that likely would work and cockpit textures should have .lua file where it tells language-related files?

Edited by kazereal

Because I am trying to make this cockpit mod as realistic as possible. Finnish cockpit is a mix of russian and finnish labels and that is the reason I need to edit the russian cockpit. As Cobra said there might be a smarter way to do this in the near future. I hope you understand.

Chain

Sure thing i see the logic there and yes i know there is mix of languages in real cockpits, but i just seems strange since it's a mod. All the old files will get overwrited when this mod is turned on, so how i see this is that it doesnt really mather what files it's overwriting since we see the final product which is in this case ur awesome mod. All that im trying to say is that everytime when i stop flying etc. A-10C i dont want to disconnect from server, go to options change language from english to russian, connect back to the server being able to fly with MiG-21 with finnish cockpit.

Edit: Plus while alot ppl is still learning this plane, all the tooltips would be also written in russian.

Edited by RedShot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]             

http://dcsfinland.fi

Suomalainen DCS Yhteisö

Sure thing i see the logic there and yes i know there is mix of languages in real cockpits, but i just seems strange since it's a mod. All the old files will get overwrited when this mod is turned on, so how i see this is that it doesnt really mather what files it's overwriting since we see the final product which is in this case ur awesome mod. All that im trying to say is that everytime when i stop flying etc. A-10C i dont want to disconnect from server, go to options change language from english to russian, connect back to the server being able to fly with MiG-21 with finnish cockpit.

Edit: Plus while alot ppl is still learning this plane, all the tooltips would be also written in russian.

I feel your pain. I try to figure out his problem when the full label set is done.

Tooltips can be set to EN easily:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2180646&postcount=3

Chain

System:

I have in progress version of the hint localizer with tooltip texts in finnish. It will be some time to finish it but if there's interest I can upload it as well.

MIG_tooltip-FI.jpg.1a18c9d1aa401d2369dfc3c8d01f2bd7.jpg

Edited by kazereal

I have in progress version of the hint localizer with tooltip texts in finnish. It will be some time to finish it but if there's interest I can upload it as well.

Yes please, this would be nice !

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

Ok, I've made first version of tooltips in finnish. There are some places where translation could be better so maybe another version will be needed..

I'm uploading it in both "plaintext" and zipped, let me know which works better.

Some browsers might corrupt encoding in text files so I expect zip to work better.

To install, just backup and replace file Hint_localizer.lua in folder ..\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\MiG-21BIS\Cockpit\

File has both russian and finnish tooltips.

If you need to switch language just lookup near start of file for this:

if LockOn_Options.cockpit_language == "russian" then

country = "FI"

end

And change country into "RU" to switch back into original tooltips, like this:

country = "RU"

As always, bugs and comments are welcome.

Hint_localizer.lua

Hint_localizer.zip

Ok, I've made first version of tooltips in finnish. There are some places where translation could be better so maybe another version will be needed..

I'm uploading it in both "plaintext" and zipped, let me know which works better.

Some browsers might corrupt encoding in text files so I expect zip to work better.

To install, just backup and replace file Hint_localizer.lua in folder ..\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\MiG-21BIS\Cockpit\

File has both russian and finnish tooltips.

If you need to switch language just lookup near start of file for this:

if LockOn_Options.cockpit_language == "russian" then

country = "FI"

end

And change country into "RU" to switch back into original tooltips, like this:

country = "RU"

As always, bugs and comments are welcome.

Tnx, downloaded that "plaintext" and works great :thumbup:

New package uploading...takes about 15 minutes.

Don't blame me for the bright warning indicators. You can blame Finnish Air Force and Patria for that ;)

Warning panel still missing night textures and glass shadows.

Chain

System:

Does anyone have the FINAF Bis checklist? We could make custom kneeboard pages for that.

Chain

System:

I would like to point out a small error in the MiG-21 Finnish AF skin as well if somebody could take a look at that (I would if I would know how to use Photoshop)

The error is the current skin is a hybrid of an earlier and later livery. The earlier livery where the registration number is written with big font above the wings should have big air force roundels, while the later version where the registration number is below the cockpit in small font has the small air force emblems. The current DCS skin has the big reg. number above the wings but the small emblems.

MiG-21BIS-Eduard-camo-A1.jpg

mig.jpg

Edited by Netsk

Someone might remember me as 'FlyingRussian' from the Ubisoft Lock-On forum back in '03

I would like to point out a small error in the MiG-21 Finnish AF skin as well if somebody could take a look at that (I would if I would know how to use Photoshop)

The error is the current skin is a hybrid of an earlier and later livery. The earlier livery where the registration number is written with big font above the wings should have big air force roundels, while the later version where the registration number is below the cockpit in small font has the small air force emblems. The current DCS skin has the big reg. number above the wings but the small emblems.

MiG-21BIS-Eduard-camo-A1.jpg

mig.jpg

Easy to fix :)

Chain

System: