That pesky Phantom dogfight

Cruiser18

I came across this thread because that Instant Action dogfight has been driving me bananas! I can't kill this guy!

I finally managed to do it just now. I'm not sure how, except I stayed in second reheat for most of the fight, and I maneuvered a lot more aggressively, with a higher AoA. Also, I kept reversing my turns into him. (I guess I did a scissors?) All I know is that I somehow got on his tail and got him. Very gratifying. He did, however, ruin my good looks -- I think he shot off my nosecone!

I'll have to see what I did on Tacview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone,

Totally new guy - first post... I have played that MiG21 vs. F4 mission 10 times over. Most of the time I get the F4, but the opening screen says we should try not to destroy it. Well, a couple of days ago, I damaged the F4, and then he started flying low, straight and level, trailing smoke all the way. I followed him until the F4 pilots ejected and the plane augured in. Then last night I played the mission again. This time I damaged him slightly (no visible smoke), but once again, he disengaged and flew low and slow towards the airfield. So, I trailed behind - finger on the trigger. But, he flew past the airport then dropped his gear, did a base turn, then lined up on final. I kept behind him and landed pretty much in formation, then trailed him as he taxied around the airfield, parked and the pilots got out (actually there were two pilots still in the cockpit and two more down on the ground). While this was gratifying, I still did not get a "Mission success" notification. Just wondering what else it'd take to get this mission registered as successful. Any thoughts or experiences?

My thought is to take it as a training run and don't worry too much about a success message. It might be that over the course of the varying DCS versions some trigger in this particular mission just ceased to work.

Hahaha, of course - it's just a game. I never take it too seriously. :) Just curious if anyone else has tried not to destroy the F4E. Seems like most people just blow it out of the sky. :)

This question can be answered very easily: open the mission in the editor and see what kind of triggers/victory conditions exist. The answer is: none. There are no goals or triggers of any kind. So driving off the F-4 is simply a matter of running it out of fuel or damaging it so bad that it tries to head home. But there is no score or victory message for chasing the F-4 away without shooting it down.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]