16fps, empty airfield. Hideous performance on a good PC

112th_Rossi

The Mig21 has finally tempted me back to DCS. Initially I was awaiting EDGE before I jumped back in.

The reason i stopped was extremely bad performance.

My PC specification is in my signature. I did a quick test and here are the results. Crossfire was disabled for this test.

Take a look at these images

http://imgur.com/a/oE2tG

Note the FPS counter in the top right and then take a look at the GPU usage level.

Why is this? The game is practically unplayable because no matter what I do, FPS is appallingly bad.

CPU usage was 15% also.

Can anyone help with this?

Since there are LoD and other issues with the MiG right now, I suggest you use another aircraft for your benchmarks. :)

If it makes LITERALLY no difference, something very weird is going on.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

What AMD Catalyst driver are you using with that 7970? 14.4 or later gives much better results - with my i5 4670k at 3.8ghz and 7850 2gb this is what i get (without the MiG-21 model around anapa my FPS is locked at 60)

7pmffne.png

pYMpNRx.png

Edited by Mustang

The issue has been acknowledged by Leatherneck, and they already have steps in hand to change things.

Edge will be released before the end of the year, which will utilise computer systems resources far more efficiently according to the information released so far.

I understand how frustrating this problem can be, and there is reason to expect an improvement soon, so please, keep the faith.

In the meantime, always use the very latest drivers for your hardware, and try to experiment with graphics settings to reduce the load while you await more permanent solutions (I apologise if I am teaching granny to suck eggs).

I personally went out and spend silly money to get a machine that was capable of running DCS to the max because I just saw something incredible in the level of realism they aimed for. I haven't regretted it for a moment.

It is an issue, but help is on the way, and being patient will always bring it's rewards as far as DCS is concerned.

The issue has been acknowledged by Leatherneck, and they already have steps in hand to change things.

Edge will be released before the end of the year, which will utilise computer systems resources far more efficiently according to the information released so far.

I understand how frustrating this problem can be, and there is reason to expect an improvement soon, so please, keep the faith.

In the meantime, always use the very latest drivers for your hardware, and try to experiment with graphics settings to reduce the load while you await more permanent solutions (I apologise if I am teaching granny to suck eggs).

I personally went out and spend silly money to get a machine that was capable of running DCS to the max because I just saw something incredible in the level of realism they aimed for. I haven't regretted it for a moment.

It is an issue, but help is on the way, and being patient will always bring it's rewards as far as DCS is concerned.

Thanks. I have no doubt that it'll be fixed. It's extremely frustrating though.

15% cpu usage sounds about right for an octacore cpu: -> 1 core is maxed out, the other 7 are idle. Your bottleneck is the insufficient computing power per single core of the amd cpu.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

You should start DCS in window mode, preferably on a 2500x1400 resolution and fly 1920x1080 windowed while you have Task manager opened up and can check core usage WHILE yo actually fly, see explosions etc... That is most accurate, you can set update interval to HIGH to even show small spikes that get smoothend out the longer you dial in the update interval. To find spikes, you need fast intervals and a permanent view to the graph or recording software.

If you can't do that, than do this as a workaround to monitor your loads:

In Task Manager, set the update interval to SLOW and maximize the TaskManager window to full screen so you can record some 15 minutes in the graph. CTRL-TAB into DCS, start flying and while in AP you can check back to TaskManager from time to time and watch your core(s).

There are other monitoring softwares around, but they all add their own load, drivers etc... and I would not recommend unless you know exactly what you do. ( Nagios, Paessler etc.. ).

Regarding CPU cycles, the times when you could compare Hz to Hz are LONG GONE. Having an i7 running at 4.0GHz stock does not mean your AMD 4.x GHz is same or faster...it will be wayyyyyy slower. That is an old story and there is a reason why AMD cpu sell for far less than Intel cpu.

AMD's are ok for multi-core server scenarios, VMware ESX etc.... many many many cores. For anything else I would not consider them a real option. You sacrifice a lot to save some money.

Bit

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You should start DCS in window mode, preferably on a 2500x1400 resolution and fly 1920x1080 windowed while you have Task manager opened up and can check core usage WHILE yo actually fly, see explosions etc... That is most accurate, you can set update interval to HIGH to even show small spikes that get smoothend out the longer you dial in the update interval. To find spikes, you need fast intervals and a permanent view to the graph or recording software.

If you can't do that, than do this as a workaround to monitor your loads:

In Task Manager, set the update interval to SLOW and maximize the TaskManager window to full screen so you can record some 15 minutes in the graph. CTRL-TAB into DCS, start flying and while in AP you can check back to TaskManager from time to time and watch your core(s).

There are other monitoring softwares around, but they all add their own load, drivers etc... and I would not recommend unless you know exactly what you do. ( Nagios, Paessler etc.. ).

Regarding CPU cycles, the times when you could compare Hz to Hz are LONG GONE. Having an i7 running at 4.0GHz stock does not mean your AMD 4.x GHz is same or faster...it will be wayyyyyy slower. That is an old story and there is a reason why AMD cpu sell for far less than Intel cpu.

AMD's are ok for multi-core server scenarios, VMware ESX etc.... many many many cores. For anything else I would not consider them a real option. You sacrifice a lot to save some money.

Bit

Thanks for the tips. I know Hz for Hz is never a direct comparison, but Intel doesn't have such a huge edge as to cause issues like this. That smacks of Intel elitism to be perfectly frank.

I've used AMD cpus for a long time (the last time I had a Intel based PC was back in 2001). I'm not going to get into an Intel v AMD debate, because the performance difference does not justify Intels premium price tag.

Besides, I did say CPU usage was low. If AMD was struggling we'd see a higher percentage in usage.

• ED Team

I have a AMD fx8350 and have seen a performance increase by managing my parked cores and freq with a tool called ParkControl

I like my AMD CPU however my next build will be a Intel one :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Some have had to turn down the overclock on the GPU to get better results in this sim.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

• 1 month later...

Turn off anti-aliasing (MSAA and TSSAA), reduce shadows to low and then check performance.

At least with AMD GPU anti-aliasing has huge reduction in performance.

Edit:

Btw, check if that is high/low "peak" value, loading textures from harddrive can cause huge slowdown "spike" in performance and it should be rare if they are cached in RAM.

Edited by kazereal

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."

A must read for anyone looking to maximize FPS in DCS. The most in-depth study of FPS in DCS. for sure.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

• ED Team
A must read for anyone looking to maximize FPS in DCS. The most in-depth study of FPS in DCS. for sure.

Thanks AtaliaA1, I had not seen these on Youtube, very interesting.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I disabled Crossfire and set the max fps to 60 via config and I got a massive boost, although airfields still suffer when theres a few planes around.

Heres hoping EDGE will support crossfire

Well, support for up to 4 GPUs was listed somewhere as coming features.

So I'd expect that means Crossfire/SLI support in some form as well..

"I would have written a shorter post, but I did not have the time."