Rudders and elevator move but plane does not?

Fakum

My A-10C rudders and elevators visibly move, but the plane does not react after update, heres what I did so far.

Before I updated, I changed the "aircrafts" file to "aircraft"

Did the update

Copied the "_backup.017" file (which contain subfolders "Mods"&"Scripts") to DCS file as usual, allowing overwrite.

Spooled up for take off and found no rudder or elevator control although through external view they clearly move fully.

Did a DCS repair

Did NOT copy over the _backup.018 at this time

Went back in and found all was well except some exports were missing for my Helios touch screen.

Went back and Copied the "_backup.018" file (which contain subfolders "Mods"&"Scripts") to DCS file as usual, allowing overwrite once again.

Exports to Helios are good but plane does not fly again but control surfaces do move.

I dont understand what to do? I have been reading all of the threads pertaining to the update issues, none of which mention this specific issue. Please advise, thank you.

OHHHH,, P.S.,, I did a complete system backup prior to this so I can easily just do a restore so if there is a different procedure I should have used, I can restore and take that approach, or I can just restore and wait for the next patch?

Edited by Fakum

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I dont understand what to do?

And I don't understand what you did. :o)

Why do you copy back and forth stuff from the _backup.xxx folders!? The updater backs up files in there that it has no idea of how to deal with otherwise - i.e. they are not of the current installed DCS version and they are not of the to-be-updated-to DCS version (most likely remains of installed user mods). If you copy them back, you are basically working against the auto updater and end up with a random mix of old, modified and current files.

What I would try to do now (as the aircrafts/aircraft issue seems to be solved): do a Repair DCS and then, just to be sure, Update DCS.

I copy the backup files back over because it contains the .lua files that I have edited over the years to accommodate changes I have made that allow my Helios and touchscreen to work, dual monitor configuration along with font size changes etc. There is a thread in here from years back that explains this. It has worked flawlessly for years, every update, same procedure, smooth as silk! You may not utilize these features, but many of us do. As I mentioned above, if I do NOT utilize the backups that are created during the update (per instructions), then some of the exports fail.

In addition, as of last night, after reading through the forums again, I did not see where it was mentioned the the aircrafts/aircraft was resolved? Where did you see that statement? Thanks.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Restoring backed up files will work fine until they make a fundamental change within one of the files you restore.

My method is to keep a list of notes detailing which LUAs I have altered, and why. Then I just go into the new files, and make the same amendments after the update has been completed.

It takes a few minutes to complete, and of course if the file has changed significantly, then it is usually going to be obvious because the structure will be different.

Admin like that is easy with a little planning, and along with JSGME, it takes the hassle out of updating.

I copy the backup files back over because it contains the .lua files that I have edited over the years to accommodate changes I have made that allow my Helios and touchscreen to work, dual monitor configuration along with font size changes etc. There is a thread in here from years back that explains this. It has worked flawlessly for years, every update, same procedure, smooth as silk! You may not utilize these features, but many of us do. As I mentioned above, if I do NOT utilize the backups that are created during the update (per instructions), then some of the exports fail.

In addition, as of last night, after reading through the forums again, I did not see where it was mentioned the the aircrafts/aircraft was resolved? Where did you see that statement? Thanks.

Use JSGME for your modifications - saves you a lot of troubles.

I still strongly advice to first let the updater do it's thing, then test it and only if everything is working, then re-apply your modifications. What files did you modify? It can always be that the newer version contains changes that are important, but are missing in your older, modified version. That can lead to all kind of strange errors. Monitor config and something like that should be quite safe to modify, but when you speak about font size changes, then you are probably already quite deep in the internals of a module.

Here is the posting where c0ff mentions that the bug is fixed: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2181509#post2181509

I made a mistake, it was not about the aircrafts/aircraft issue, it was about the error that occured if you had Su-25T training missions installed. But this was what I had in mind. Anyhow, afaik both issues should not cause any harm anymore - the aircrafts folder will be renamed and the error will not break the update in mid way.

I had the training mission issue with my test installation. It left the installation in a half-complete state. Half of my modules were still under "aircrafts" while the other half was under "aircraft" and the updater even did not complete it's work due to the error. After I learned that the issues were solved, I did this:

1. delete the contents of the _download folder so that the updater would start from the beginning (otherwise the error still occured)

2. ran Repair DCS to get the installation to a defined state

3. ran Update DCS to get it updated

4. ran DCS World - checked that everything worked ... which it did.

5. re-applied my mods after making sure that the modified files were compatible with the new version

Unfortunately I have been successful for years with this method. Im not using any mods per say, all my editing has been via editing specific .lua files. Information I have gathered over the years via these forums. Its all been spread over may years, my journals are actually a book that I keep of pretty much every thing I do to make changes, I will have to go back and sift through about 200 pages of notes if I try to do this the hard way. Its not impossible, simply aggravating. Furthur more, if file structures and .lua files have changed (which have occured in the past as well) I would have to solicit the forums again for resolve. That can also be a problem. For example, I have a 30" monitor at 2560 x 1600 that I can not even see the chat text on the screen because the font is way to small. I have posts on the forums for about a month now that I keep bumping because I cant find the file that I need to edit the text size. Its all work in progress, its just at this point,, all these years of customizing and effort went down the crapper. Anyway, thanks for your feedback.