A-10C retirement

upyr1

Article linked in original post indeed fits it's headline which starts with "Opinion", since it is written very opinionated, and is not really objective. Claims of innefficiency of A-10, and efficiency of alternatives sound very much anectodal, and is not presented with evidence to support them.

I don't believe myself A-10 is the best aircraft ever, but for it's purpose it is still one of the best, and is unique in it's ability to last long with both ammo and fuel over a battlefield in a close suppor role. Article, for example, points AC-130 being superior as a CAS platform, I'd like to see AC-130 do it's thing over an environment with halfway decent threats, sure it can squirt flares like there's no tomorrow, but ManPADS aren't the only option to persuade opposing aircrraft to crash themselves or leave the area are they?

Author just cherrypicks various assets to contrast A-10 "see, AC-130 has more firepower", "see, every aircraft is as survivable in their permissive airspace". Kiowa being touted as a preferrable CAS platform to both A-10 and AH-64 especially is an interesting suggestion.

Do I personally care USAF retire A-10 or not? Nope, not really, to begin with, I'm not from US, and A-10 isn't even among my favorite aircraft either. So I don't really have reasons to root for A-10's longetivity, but I do take issue with these kind of opinionated statements without any objectivity in them :P

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

As I have stated in the past, the plan to retire the A-10 has bee stopped by congress, at the behest of the Army, Air Force, and Marines.

Even if the Air Force was somehow still able to retire them, the Marines and the Army have said that they will take them.

DCS: F-4E really needs to be a thing!!!!!!

Aircraft: A-10C, Ka-50, UH-1H, MiG-21, F-15C, Su-27, MiG-29, A-10A, Su-25, Su-25T, TF-51

Kiowa being touted as a preferrable CAS platform to both A-10 and AH-64 especially is an interesting suggestion.

That is not an "interesting suggestion" it is an asinine suggestion...

Yeah a Kiowa outperforming a Apache...

What little credibility the guy had was completely erased right there..

:doh:

EDIT: And my ire is directed at the guy that made the statement, NOT WinterH

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

That is not an "interesting suggestion" it is an asinine suggestion...

Yeah a Kiowa outperforming a Apache...

What little credibility the guy had was completely erased right there..

:doh:

EDIT: And my ire is directed at the guy that made the statement, NOT WinterH

"asinine" - nice word outlawal2. :thumbup:

"asinine" - nice word outlawal2. :thumbup:

Well thanks I guess, but not sure exactly what you mean.. :huh:

It IS a word and according to Merriam Webster...

1: extremely or "]utterly foolish <an asinine excuse>

2: of, relating to, or resembling an ass

And I thought it was quite an appropriate description of that guy's ridiculous statements!

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Well thanks I guess, but not sure exactly what you mean.. :huh:

It IS a word and according to Merriam Webster...

1: extremely or "]utterly foolish <an asinine excuse>

2: of, relating to, or resembling an ass

And I thought it was quite an appropriate description of that guy's ridiculous statements!

Its ok, it was meant in a positive way. I hadn't heard that word before, so I looked it up in a dictionary and liked it.

Regards,

Milli

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control