Use of EWR radar in a mission

Nereid

I have tried to use an EWR radar in a mission but without success so far.

In my current mission I'm using an EWR 1L13 and on the first waypoint (the startpoint) he has a "perform command - set frequency - 124Mhz AM". Selecting channel 0 in the Mig should give you the option to communicate with the EWR.

The good news: There is an option "AWACS" in the radio menu. Selecting this shows the EWR. Choosing the EWR and any of the entrys showing up will do .... nothing. No answer from the EWR. Channel 0 is selected in the Mig (124MHz AM).

The EWR is not displayed in the RWR (the emissions from a friendly AWACS aircraft are shown there). This may caused by the constraints of the RWR (45°) but I'm not sure about it.

Any ideas how to get the EWR to work?

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

Nereid, please upload your mission here.

Still editing. I will do so tomorrow. Its way to late now.

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

Similar issue here.

I made a mission with AWACS in it. I can see the AWACS in the radio menu (F7), but nothing happens when I press it. I can hear them chatting to ATC however.

I did notice that no matter what frequency I have my radio set to I can contact ATC, I suspect that radios could be bugged?

EDIT: Upon further checking, it was my TrackIR that was interfering with selecting F7... :)

Edited by cquail

I got it to work. Ill upload to the user files

High fast B52 approaching the coast heading north east. Radio menu shows two EWR stations and you can ask them for vector while B52 is still in range.

You start on the ground cold with three tanks of fuel and two beam rider missiles. You gotta burn the fuel in the tanks to get up to 10k then drop the empty tanks and level off accelerating to Mach2 to to catch him before he gets out of your range. Took me a couple of goes to get him with a beam rider. When I missed with both missiles I switched to guns and went vertical at 10000m alt and 2100km/h and thought ill come back down on him but I was wrong. Got to the top of my loop at 24000m high and couldn't turn back on him in the thin air... inverted flat spin and engine flame out! Mig21 is lot of fun high and fast like this.

I had the same issue with trackIR. So I made a trackIR profile with all the "f12" keys needs cntrl as well.

Edited by Dirty Rotten Flieger
  • Like 1

just realised you can attach mission file to post . cool

There are no frequencies assigned to any of the EWRs. This would not work for me, too.

But there is a difference. Asking for a bogey dope the sound of my transmission is played at least. But no answer of course (which frequency?).

EDIT: After assigning frequencies to the EWR it works. Strange observation: the callsigns are missing (just numbers, if you assign them).

EDIT2: Numbers are the callsigns for non-western units. So all is fine.

Edited by Nereid

Here is my mission.

The Mig for the player is in flight (this makes testing easier), channel 0 is set to 141 MHz AM.

The EWR I want to communicate with is Mantis1, frequency set to 141Mhz AM.

The other EWR is not used.

The AWACS (frequency 142Mhz AM) is there for testing purposes. Communication with the AWACS works.

Are the radios of the EWR not suited for the frequency I have used?

EDIT: This may be a general DCS issue as well. But because of the importance of EWR to the Mig, a working example would be great. Maybe we will get one to work.

Mig-21 Intercept.miz

Edited by Nereid

I think I have found it: It's not an issue with the Mig-21 but with DCS. If you are flying in a aircraft of western nationality (e.g. a german Mig-21) than you can't communicate with EWR at all - just AWACS works.

With a red (sowjet, ukrainian,...) F-86 or Mig-21 communications with an EWR unit works. If you jump in the same plane as an american or german it won't work.

Seems that the english language is just missing the right words to make EWR work. :lol:

So, it's a DCS bug in my oppinion. If we are playing the Mig-21 on the western side, we will have to use AWACS.

Edited by Nereid

I think I have found it: It's not an issue with the Mig-21 but with DCS. If you are flying in a aircraft of western nationality (e.g. a german Mig-21) than you can't communicate with EWR at all - just AWACS works.

With a red (sowjet, ukrainian,...) F-86 or Mig-21 communications with an EWR unit works. If you jump in the same plane as an american or german it won't work.

Seems that the english language is just missing the right words to make EWR work. :lol:

So, it's a DCS bug in my oppinion. If we are playing the Mig-21 on the western side, we will have to use AWACS.

Interesting. But I am not sure if I would really consider this a bug - as long as AWACS works. It is just the different approaches that both coalitions use. An US MiG-21, like the one they "found" and used it to test it's abilities, will not suddenly change the way the USAF works. :o)

I'd say it's definitely a bug: what if you have a mission with Russia and the US on the same side (or US and Ukraine)? You might have American aircraft who want to talk to the Eastern EWR.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

Interesting. But I am not sure if I would really consider this a bug - as long as AWACS works. It is just the different approaches that both coalitions use. An US MiG-21, like the one they "found" and used it to test it's abilities, will not suddenly change the way the USAF works. :o)

As Fishbreath said: What if a western nation/aircraft supports an eastern coalition using EWR? The aircraft doesn't matter. Even in a Superhornet they would not be able to call any EWR at the moment. But if an F-18 is flown by a russian or ukrainian pilot, he can communicate with EWR. All western pilots are speaking english only and the EWR just russian and no english at the moment...

I would call this inconsistent at least.

As Fishbreath said: What if a western nation/aircraft supports an eastern coalition using EWR? The aircraft doesn't matter. Even in a Superhornet they would not be able to call any EWR at the moment. But if an F-18 is flown by a russian or ukrainian pilot, he can communicate with EWR. All western pilots are speaking english only and the EWR just russian and no english at the moment...

I would call this inconsistent at least.

there is no reason that a Western pilot in a western jet would not be able to communicate with say a eastern allied's GCI as long as they had a language in common. so Assuming a radar operater had learnt english for example it would work just fine

likewise there is not reason that an english speaking pilot in a russian jet would not be able to call up a USAF AWACS and get bearings. There is no systems involved, it's just radio communication.

DCS should assume that all factions in one coalition are able to speak the same language, even if in a mission for some reason you put Russia and USA on the same coalition, so this should be fixed definitely

DCS should assume that all factions in one coalition are able to speak the same language, even if in a mission for some reason you put Russia and USA on the same coalition, so this should be fixed definitely

That's what I said. :)

Range is around 120 KM, can be checked in the mission planner by placing an EWR and checking the radius range of the created object.

The problem for me is as follows (Tested with easy communication and without - same result) -

1. Red coalition:

- Can contact the EWR stations via the AWACS radio menu, they answer at random times or not at all. (tested going into their range and out, no difference)

- Tried with several EWR systems, using 1 EWR system seems to be working as in the single player interception mission.

- Tried changing frequencies to several different channels on the Mig21, none help to get an answer.

- Tried changing the callsign, does not help.

2. Blue coalition:

- EWR does not respond and cannot hear pilot contact the station. (estimation - Callsigns for EWR stations in the blue coalition are - AXEMAN/DARK KNIGHT ... and for red coalition it is numbers from 100-500. this could be the problem).

- Tried changing frequencies to several different channels on the Mig21, none help to get an answer.

- Tried changing the callsign, does not help.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon, the Mig21 is not very handly without a working GCI.

oh awesome I was gonna ask you guys to attach your missions. always better to fly a mission I didn't make.

thanks Nereid

Very strange that it just works for me in red side. I have occasionally had them not answer but I ask again and they answer straight away. I wouldn't have known there was any problems if I hadn't seen this thread.

I haven't tried the blue side.

I tried the mission you attached and it doesn't work for me either. If I try to contact Mantis11 EWR I don't say anything. It doesn't respond but I don't actually ask it anything either. I can contact Overlord EWR and it gives me a vector. But I can't find Overlord EWR on the editor map.

I noticed that Mantis 11 was in a group with a comand and some AAA maybe the group is effecting the functioning? In my mission I just dropped a EWR next to an airfield. They were not part of a group like yours.

Edited by Dirty Rotten Flieger

If you fly MiG-21 on Blue side and EWR is on Red side, of course it won't work :) and why would you place MiG-21 on Blue side anyway? This is like flying F-15C on Russian side... just doesn't make sense :D

Just make it as Russian plane (which it is anyway) and use EWR (Russian also) without any problems.

No longer active in DCS...

Well I think it is not so simple that a western aircraft would communicate with Eastern EWR. EWR/GCI certainly uses special signal modulation/encryption, which needs to be compatible with the receiver, so you certainly wouldn't be able just to tune EWR frequency and listen to EWR commands to fighters sent to intercept you in your F-18/16/15. Mig-29s from my country couldn't communicate with NATO aircraft at all, they gained the capability only after a special modernization and even then they are still not fully compatible. Communication between western/eastern hardware is not so simple as one would imagine.

• Like 1

If you fly MiG-21 on Blue side and EWR is on Red side, of course it won't work :) and why would you place MiG-21 on Blue side anyway? This is like flying F-15C on Russian side... just doesn't make sense :D

Just make it as Russian plane (which it is anyway) and use EWR (Russian also) without any problems.

Just to make things clear.

EWR systems and Mig-21s can be set for Russian/Ukraine/Georgia, This means you can have EWR systems in both coalitions, it is not relevant or important if it is rational or not to create mission scenarios between those 3 countries. As long as it's possible in the Mission Editor, it should be supported.

As =LFC=Chameleon_Silk indicated, this seems like a bug and it should be taken care of and not neglected. Currently the GCI feature that was supposed to be supported by the Mig-21 on release is not working.

Edited by xcom

It seems to be completely blue/red dependant. I could not even get a Georgian MiG (or F-86 for that matter) talk to a Georgian EWR. Seems that "Blue just can't EWR" - for which I can't see any plausible reason (i.e. = bug).

The only reason I can see related is the callsigns, for blue coalition it seems that the callsigns are not numeric the opposite than the red side.

Other than that, there's no reason I can see.

The only reason I can see related is the callsigns, for blue coalition it seems that the callsigns are not numeric the opposite than the red side.

Other than that, there's no reason I can see.

Georgian aircraft, Georgian EWR - both use "blue" callsigns and the EWR shows up in the comms menu correctly with the set callsign. It is just that neither me/pilot nor the EWR says a word (no text, no audio).