Convergence Settings

Snapshot

I know this has already been brought up, but can we please have the ability to adjust convergence settings for the guns the Mustang, Dora, etc? It has a lot to do with player preference, as it did with pilot preference. I am loving the graphics and adjustments done to the p51, just about to purchase the Dora.

i dont know...just my thought, but i would rather have eagle dynamics create a few historical convergence settings and gun loadouts rather than letting the player chose all kinds of "strange" combinations, which usually leads to exploits, like guys only using Minengeschoss(i was one of them as well in another sim).

i know you asked for convergence settings and not loadouts, but for me this is connected, and i would want the same approach from the devs.

creating a few known historical settings the player can chose from.

what we have is already historical btw, but there is no choice at the moment.two years ago, when starting to fly the p51, i also thought that the convergence was strange and i had hard times at first to hit anything...but with time i began more and more to appreciate the fact that the convergence felt more and more natural, but also that i knew i was flying with a historical setting, and that i didnt need to look one up myself somewhere in the web.

Convergence settings for the P51 are set at 1100 feet, if I remember correctly.

There was a great thread by YoYo posted sometime ago about the reasons for having the settings fixed. Very interesting information and well worth reading.

The FW190 D-9 has convergence set at 600 metres according to the historical information available, there is a thread somewhere showing this, although there is no official confirmation as to what it is set to ingame.

I agree with David Red on this issue. It is a bit of a shock at first not being able to adjust convergence as you can in IL 2, but historically it was only a few ace pilots that had the luxury of having personalised convergence settings done by the ground crew. Most pilots flew various aircraft as some would be out of service due to maintenance and battle damage. Even the aces often found themselves in an unfamiliar aircraft from time to time.

There are a lot of factors involved with setting convergences, especially relating to the shadow that can be produced by each. The settings in IL2 are simplified, but in reality if some of the settings that are sometimes used by people were truly accurate there would be rounds flying all over the sky. Also the issue of wildly inaccurate loadouts being used becomes a problem.

It would be a great option to have a small selection of presets for both convergence and loadouts that are historical and that allow you to give yourself the "Ace treatment". :thumbup:

Cheers, Scream.

Edited by Screamadelica

The P51 would be about right, but I know that some pilots liked there 50's all converging at one point about 250 yards out. Others that were better shots would have it set a bit further out. Still, some liked the "shotgun effect" and had each set converging at different ranges.

The Dora set at 600 seems like a long way out. I'll keep trying and see if I can hit anything!

Thanks for the info

Convergence, factory set to historical application only... no user defined umbrella setting, or other

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

I suspect the Dora's 600m setting was for head on attack of B17's. Start firing at 600m until 100m and then break under and dive away. But since the 20mm's are only a maximum of 1.8m apart between 0 and 600m convergenge should not be a problem, Minengeshloss was officially 1 in every 3 rounds IIRC.