Most Important keys?

Silent Cobra

Hey guys,

I have been unable to play for a long time and I am now getting around to re installing the game. I am using a Saitek X-52 HOTAS system, so I am using the the saitek software to map the buttons. The problem is that I can't remember the names of the controls to use, nor can I remember the main mappings for keys.

For could you please give me a list of the main controls I am going to need, and which keys they are mapped to?

Would it not be easier to just use the dcs options/controls?

It will list your stick and throttle, You will also see what control or axis your assigning as well as tuning the curves of said axises. You can also do it in game by using the esc key / controls. its gr8 to sit on the ramp and get a real time view of what u r doing.

Hey guys,

I have been unable to play for a long time and I am now getting around to re installing the game. I am using a Saitek X-52 HOTAS system, so I am using the the saitek software to map the buttons. The problem is that I can't remember the names of the controls to use, nor can I remember the main mappings for keys.

For could you please give me a list of the main controls I am going to need, and which keys they are mapped to?

The only things you have to map are:

All HOTAS commands

Eject

Wheel brakes

Rudders

Camera centre

Camera movement

Camera zoom

Some other useful things to bind somewhere if you can fit them are start, kneeboard stuff, night vision etcetera.

Why would you bind eject to your hotas?

I guess that depends on how often you find yourself using it. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I eject alot mysellf (i always try to eject instead of crashing , just for the sake of immersion) But binding it to your hotas seems weird... there's plenty of buttons in the A10 that need to be bound but eject just isnt one of them imo. Its not a key on the hotas in the real thing either , is it?

Personally i like having spacebar as eject , its easy to reach without having to look down to your keyboard and mashing it while going down just feels good xD Like you're reaching for the ejection... uh.. handle? Bar? Whatever it's called.

Anyway sorry for the OT.

Now to recover and have a bit of on topic : bind hotas pinky switch to something (use your joysticks pinky switch as modifier to double your available keys) but pinky switch is pretty important since it lases for bombs , enables NWS when on the ground , and resets your refueling port for A2A refueling. It may even do more then that , who knows?! Pretty brilliant design imo. (Its something i didnt realise for quite a long time when starting out in the A10)

Edited by McBlemmen

+1, tried mapping it once, and decided it's better to have it on the keyboard where it is intentional to activate it. :music_whistling:

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

Maverick-X. how long did it take for all of those to become natural is the key. I got a head ache just thinking about the difficulty of remembering all of the switches u have mapped.

If I did it a few at a time I could get used to it. To take this and apply all of them would cause huge switch errors in 30 Flights or so until I got used to all of them.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

This is the reason why I programmed my own profile: If you do it yourself its quite easy to remember. In this case, this was more or less ment as an overview of the keys that could be important, but I guess you are right, this is a bit off the topic.

Still the list of commands you need for the A10 is long: "all hotas commands" itself is quite a bit as it features 5? cooliehats and several switches like boat, china and NWS. In fact, thats about all you REALLY need I guess. The aircraft is designed to be used with HOTAS in the situations where you don't have the time to get your hands off the controls. I additionally like to have zoom on the stick, as I don't like it to be my TrackIR-Z-axis.

I don't have much mapped apart from this:

Airbrake is an essential control, so I would map it if possible. NightVision is something you barely need, so thats nice to have. Autopilot functions are handy on the stick, but I guess keyboard is enough here, same for refueling gate. Gun Pac / Arm switch is a very handy thing to have as you are able to decide to do point fire or strafing runs right before execution.

The whole steerpoint mode and for. aft. on the scrollwheel is quite handy when managing a lot of target data, for example for multiple jdam drops.