Internal / External engine sound

bkthunder

I was discussing this with a friend and thought it would be good to post.

It seems that the internal engine sound is too low. Let me explain:

The sound is good at high RPM where you can't hear the engine because the frequency is very high.

When the engine is idle or low RPM (I guess up to 80% RPM) it should be audible from the cockpit.

I understand sounds are meant to be simulating having a helmet on, but still the difference between low and high RPM is enough to make me think there should be some noise.

${1}

EXTERNAL:

It just sounds like the generic DCS engine sound applied to various AI aircraft in the sim. Are we going to have authentic MiG-21 sounds?

Also missing from external sounds is the APU sound when starting the engine.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

I think it would be nice to have a sound option for "realistic in-cockpit" stuff (as one of the volume sliders) that would sound a bit like the video below except of course somewhat muffled by the helmet and hearing protection and perhaps augmented by the tactile stuff like rolling on tarmac, gear movement etc. Then you could separately set stuff like button clicks, external sounds (and external needs to be separate settings for actual external views and in-cockpit) to suit your needs.

Currently I can't seem to get a good balance that would allow for some muffled engine sound (I really don't like it how the external engine sound cuts when you go above Mach 1.0), airflow over the canopy etc. Or is that just because engine sound in general might be a bit bugged now? I don't know if the MiG team can do anything about this, but anyways, just came to my mind when I was flying the MiG the other night.

My blog full of incoherent ramblings on random subjects: https://anttiilomaki.wordpress.com/

I also noticed when you are viewing someone on F2 on a server, on take off when they power up to max dry the engine sound gets louder but when they engage reheat it gets a lot quieter as if the reheat roar hasn't been implemented or isn't working.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

I'm quite disappointed with the afterburner sound. IRL it sounds like the world is ripping apart when a fighter go full AB on takeoff, in DCS it's like "meh, nice AB visuals... ... "

i7 8700K | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB M.2 SSD | TIR5 w/ Trackclip Pro | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder

[sigpic]http://www.132virtualwing.org[/sigpic]

I also noticed when you are viewing someone on F2 on a server, on take off when they power up to max dry the engine sound gets louder but when they engage reheat it gets a lot quieter as if the reheat roar hasn't been implemented or isn't working.

I've noticed that too.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

I'm quite disappointed with the afterburner sound. IRL it sounds like the world is ripping apart when a fighter go full AB on takeoff, in DCS it's like "meh, nice AB visuals... ... "

Having lived in a place for a while that had f-18 constantly buzzing around I'd like the sounds to be better. I want everyone to know I'm taking off when I light the afterburner:devil_2:

The sound has to be so in the MiG21..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJGM1HwjeZ8

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Diveplane you are one the experts in DCS sounds. I have some questions and remarks on the Mig 21BIS sounds. I discovered that the Mig21 uses general engine sound files from the Main Sounds file directory in DCS world such as EngineGE.wav, EngineJet.wav and more from this directory. The Mig21 engines sound files are located in the CoreMods en Mods directory (Mig-21BIS/Sounds/Effects... etc).

However these files are unfortunately not used when flying the Mig. (at least on my PC). Above all when checking the sdef files in the Mods en CoreMods directories you will see that the link is not correct. wave = "Effects/Aircrafts/Cockpits/Mig21AroundEngine". It reverse to the sound files in "cockpits" dir and not to the sound files in the "engines" dir.

Of course I changed, adjusted the sdef files and moved the sound files. Whatever I did, it never changed anything in the sounds when flying the Mig. When I temporarily moved the general jet sound files in the main sound dir from DCS world, I discovered that the Mig uses these files.

I am not an expert but I change found files from time to time in DCS. So overall I know how change the sound files and adjust to sdef files. Perhaps the Mig21 (because it is beta) uses other links for sounds (lua!!!??? I really don't know).

Maybe you can bring me some light in the darkness.....:helpsmilie:

Diveplane you are one the experts in DCS sounds. I have some questions and remarks on the Mig 21BIS sounds. I discovered that the Mig21 uses general engine sound files from the Main Sounds file directory in DCS world such as EngineGE.wav, EngineJet.wav and more from this directory. The Mig21 engines sound files are located in the CoreMods en Mods directory (Mig-21BIS/Sounds/Effects... etc).

However these files are unfortunately not used when flying the Mig. (at least on my PC). Above all when checking the sdef files in the Mods en CoreMods directories you will see that the link is not correct. wave = "Effects/Aircrafts/Cockpits/Mig21AroundEngine". It reverse to the sound files in "cockpits" dir and not to the sound files in the "engines" dir.

Of course I changed, adjusted the sdef files and moved the sound files. Whatever I did, it never changed anything in the sounds when flying the Mig. When I temporarily moved the general jet sound files in the main sound dir from DCS world, I discovered that the Mig uses these files.

I am not an expert but I change found files from time to time in DCS. So overall I know how change the sound files and adjust to sdef files. Perhaps the Mig21 (because it is beta) uses other links for sounds (lua!!!??? I really don't know).

Maybe you can bring me some light in the darkness.....:helpsmilie:

Interesting. I have been wondering myself whats wrong with DCS sounds (F86 anyone)....

The sounds are the weakest part of the DCS empire atm i think. I hope the whole way sounds are being made, used and applied gets redone together with DCS World 2.0

Diveplane makes the pain go away but its ED imo who should be making the quality better.

Time will tell i guess.

g8PjVMw.png

I think this is tied in with their plans for EDGE. The sound engine will be revamped then, and I suspect that file infrastructure that does not seem to work now is in place for when that time comes. In that case, I feel I can live with the generic placeholder sounds for a few months.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

I think this is tied in with their plans for EDGE. The sound engine will be revamped then, and I suspect that file infrastructure that does not seem to work now is in place for when that time comes. In that case, I feel I can live with the generic placeholder sounds for a few months.

You are right. I can live with it too. But I want to understand the sound file structure. Some simple changes can bring some improvements to the sounds (for the time being). I am sure that ED will reach a better level of sounds.

• 1 month later...

Newsflash

Just bought DCS Fishbed 2 days ago. The engine sounds (and ONLY the engine sounds) are subpar.

Working on new ones now. Would anybody like to host my files when done?

Edit: Will seek permission from Dev before release

Edited by riboyster

-SnakeShit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Peace through Superior Firepower

EVERYTHING YOU'LL EVER NEED FOR LOMAC:

http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/news.html

Running into the same problem you guys are. Seems the sounds are unchangeable. Must be something into one of the DLLs. Not feeling invasive enough to go that far into the Dev's hard work. Too bad, already have some great sounds.

-SnakeShit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Peace through Superior Firepower

EVERYTHING YOU'LL EVER NEED FOR LOMAC:

http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/news.html

Running into the same problem you guys are. Seems the sounds are unchangeable. Must be something into one of the DLLs. Not feeling invasive enough to go that far into the Dev's hard work. Too bad, already have some great sounds.

As far as I know the engine sounds where WIP anyways. An official confirmation sure would bring some more light on this though!

Check out my YouTube: xxJohnxx

Intel i7 6800k watercooled | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 32 GB RAM | Asus GTX1080 watercooled

I've noticed that playing with the radio switches changes the engine sound. Also looks like changing one of the volume knobs (not sure which one) did as well. Not sure if this is right.

EDIT: I use a 5.1 system, not sure if that makes a difference

There's a sound that sounds like engine noise, but is actually static from the radiocompass receivers. You can get rid of it by switching the radio from compass to nav mode, or by switching the navigation source to RSBN and turning down the RSBN volume.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

There's a sound that sounds like engine noise, but is actually static from the radiocompass receivers. You can get rid of it by switching the radio from compass to nav mode, or by switching the navigation source to RSBN and turning down the RSBN volume.

I see. Well then the engine is barely audible at least on my set up.

• 9 months later...

Any news on the external sounds? It´s ruining the module for me. I don´t understand, why letting the module remain without proper sound? It´s one of the basic parts of the module, isn´t it? Does anybody know, if there is some official info about it? Internal sounds are top class, so.......it´s really strange, they can´t make the external as well.