DCS Oculus TV - Upload Your Tracks!

Hello

I know that many guys here have managed to get their paws on a DK2 and have been enjoying the incredible immersion the headset brings to DCS.

It suddenly dawned on me that DCS has a unique ability: To be able to watch first hand, in VR, other people pulling off the maneuvers, combat and feats of flying in the game: Air to air refuelling, awesome dogfights or proximity flying through oil platforms and bridges. Sure you can get rift formatted youtube videos, but the headtracking is locked. Now you can fully place yourself in the cockpit as someone else flies, and applaud their acrobatics and swoon at their savant-like skill :D

Unfortunately I couldn't find too many tracks to download, at least from the site here... so this is a request - to those willing to share their tracks, whether moments of auspicious victory, festering failure, downright silliness, or dark moments of horror, to post their files up so the community can enjoy them in full VR, with you gaining not-so-virtual adulation / medals / requests for book signings :)

If you are up for it, it might be worth indicating whether there is a lot of maneuvering, especially inversion, as this can be the most nauseating for those fairly new to their headsets, maybe something like the Oculus Share "Comfort Factor /5" approach. That way people can avoid hurling when you're aileron rolling and puking when you're immelmanning!

To creators: It seems the track record function has been borkened by the recent patch, so any tracks you made before the update will likely not fly as you remember, making you look daft as you fly into a hill that wasn't there last time you looked :) Unfortunately it looks like only new tracks are going to work!

To users: Just remember to break any headtracking / view movements present in the track by pressing F4 then F1 :) I just checked with an Mi-8 track I got from here and the override works fine.

<0> << Oculus smiley :D

Edited by CookPassBabtridge

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

PRODIGAL WOMBAT STIMULATOR

I have a bunch of tracks lost all over the forum. Here are some F-15 dogfights

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2161021&postcount=20

Hi Exorcet

Thanks for uploading those, I really appreciate it :D I'm guessing its because I lack the right module, but for some reason the aircraft are not engaging each other at all in those tracks. I expected not being able to hop in the cockpit though! :(

May also be something to do with the update, but hopefully others will be able to run your tracks as intended. Hopefully folks can report back with what they are finding :)

Were you the F-15 in each of these?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

Yes, I'm the F-15. Those tracks are from an older patch, but they did work for the most part. I checked them before uploading and the biggest issue was in my last track instead of landing at Vaziani, I crash into a mountain.

Maybe the current patch has caused a problem with the replays as you said.

EDIT

I downloaded them into my Open Beta 1.2.10 and there are more errors than I remember, but I did engage the MiG, at least in the first track.

Edited by Exorcet

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Yes, I'm the F-15. Those tracks are from an older patch, but they did work for the most part. I checked them before uploading and the biggest issue was in my last track instead of landing at Vaziani, I crash into a mountain.

Maybe the current patch has caused a problem with the replays as you said.

EDIT

I downloaded them into my Open Beta 1.2.10 and there are more errors than I remember, but I did engage the MiG, at least in the first track.

Yeah something is definitely off with mine. I am using open beta too, and I've held off downloading the recent patch because everyone's machines were exploding, so that may be why. For me you kind of fly gracefully around a bit, go lower, open your airbrake and then thats it :)

Having said that I downloaded a track from a forum post I found, and the author had said he was landing on a carrier. When I started it, he was somewhere inland, so ... yeah. I dunno lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

Let me know if you want this track

Hi Buznee

Hell yeah, that would be great :)

Also from a selfish point of view I am learning the Huey, so will be great to see, especially the hovering (for learning) and that bit where you fly between the cranes (for sh*ts and giggles) :D

Edited by CookPassBabtridge

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

Oculus rift looks like it will be amazing for flight sims. I can't wait until it's both better refined and optimized, and for the actual oculus unit to be more affordable

It really is something. Even with the DK2 the first time you put the headset on its such a different feeling, one that always seems to defy words. Imagine going to a Russian airbase, and someone saying "go ahead, climb in", and how cool it would feel to actually be in it. Thats what the rift gives you. First time I loaded up the Black Shark with it I kind of had a little chuckle to myself because it felt like I'd snuck into an airbase and jumped into a Ka-50 :) The outside world tends to fade away.

You can't get the same feeling from a screen, which after using the Oculus comes to feel more like looking at a picture. As I say, very hard to put into words because its a 'felt' experience more than a visual or audio one. As for price, its unlikely to come down - the DK2 was sold at cost and they have said the CV1 will be about the same. That said they are making improvements with asynchonous timewarp which should hopefully mean you dont need to invest in a supercomputer to run it without stutter / judder.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

This is a Huey ride I made especially for the Oculus DK2.

Flying around the control tower, buildings and harbor at Batumi. The urban setting with highrise buildings really adds to the immersion. I'm uploading a complete video of it now to youtube, will post it when it's done (2+ GB) =)

VR - heli ride.trk

• Like 1

This is a Huey ride I made especially for the Oculus DK2.

Flying around the control tower, buildings and harbor at Batumi. The urban setting with highrise buildings really adds to the immersion. I'm uploading a complete video of it now to youtube, will post it when it's done (2+ GB) =)

Ohh MAN I really enjoyed that! That was one hell of a joyride, full of some awesome touches. "You like this Apache huh? You ain't seen nothin yet" lol. Loved all the low sweeping angles, the side slipping, and especially as a noob to the Huey, being able to see what she can do in the hands of a skilled pilot :)

Sense of humour in there too, with the little "You wanna get out?" type moments opening the doors. Looking over at the co-pilot it felt like I'd turned up to an airbase and been treated to a heli ride when the boss wasn't looking.

Then plonked it back down right where you started, no one knew it had ever been gone. Really cool!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

Ohh MAN I really enjoyed that! That was one hell of a joyride, full of some awesome touches. "You like this Apache huh? You ain't seen nothin yet" lol. Loved all the low sweeping angles, the side slipping, and especially as a noob to the Huey, being able to see what she can do in the hands of a skilled pilot :)

Sense of humour in there too, with the little "You wanna get out?" type moments opening the doors. Looking over at the co-pilot it felt like I'd turned up to an airbase and been treated to a heli ride when the boss wasn't looking.

Then plonked it back down right where you started, no one knew it had ever been gone. Really cool!

Thanks, I'm happy that you liked it =) I made this track to show a couple of -non simpilot- friends how cool the Oculus DK2 is in DCS. The track was also flown with the DK2 on btw =)

I love how immersive the rift is! Just the feeling of being part of your surroundings is really a game changing experience. However, as of now I don't use it very often though. For fun-flights in the Huey it's perfect, but when flying combat in say the A-10C or Mig21 the resolution is still too low to be of practical use.

Eagerly awaiting the consumer version =)!

Thanks, I'm happy that you liked it =) I made this track to show a couple of -non simpilot- friends how cool the Oculus DK2 is in DCS. The track was also flown with the DK2 on btw =)

I love how immersive the rift is! Just the feeling of being part of your surroundings is really a game changing experience. However, as of now I don't use it very often though. For fun-flights in the Huey it's perfect, but when flying combat in say the A-10C or Mig21 the resolution is still too low to be of practical use.

Eagerly awaiting the consumer version =)!

To be honest I have only been using it for learning, and have not done a lot of combat beyond training missions. Its a little disheartening to hear that combat is hamstrung by it.

Someone mentioned a mod that ensures targets are always represented by at least one pixel which is meant to make dogfights easier etc, though apparently the pixel will quite happily traipse across your cockpit when your target dips below the normal view.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

To be honest I have only been using it for learning, and have not done a lot of combat beyond training missions. Its a little disheartening to hear that combat is hamstrung by it.

Someone mentioned a mod that ensures targets are always represented by at least one pixel which is meant to make dogfights easier etc, though apparently the pixel will quite happily traipse across your cockpit when your target dips below the normal view.

Yes that's true, you can modify the labels.lua file to get a pixel dot on the enemy. Also there are various mods out there which enlarge the text on the HUD etc. Those work quite well, but the thing I really miss is being able to zoom in and out. Usually I find my targets visually by zooming in to a known threat location. Hope they add this soon!

Back OT: What modules do you have? I could post some more tracks or do some tracks on demand =)

Cheers!

Yes that's true, you can modify the labels.lua file to get a pixel dot on the enemy. Also there are various mods out there which enlarge the text on the HUD etc. Those work quite well, but the thing I really miss is being able to zoom in and out. Usually I find my targets visually by zooming in to a known threat location. Hope they add this soon!

Back OT: What modules do you have? I could post some more tracks or do some tracks on demand =)

Cheers!

That would be great! Personally I have got A-10C, UH-1H, P-51D Mustang, Mi-8, F-86F Sabre and Black Shark 2 :) I tend to binge in the sales lol

Yeah I wish they would put zoom back in, or take Bunyaps suggestion of giving you binoculars. Great for targets! As a noob however I want it for reading those tiiiiny little labels on the Ka-50 and Huey switches. Because the chopper cockpits are so much more 'vertical' it can be really tough to get your head close enough to read them.

Either that or I headbutt my throttle when peering in at a gauge or something :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

Aww man I don't think its working right after the update :( In my run through I am in a different place from your video and you crash after about 5 minutes :)

The co-pilot sort of sat there going "All is well. Nothing to see here", noodling away on the controls as we sat upside down in a wreck :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

yep multiplayer works now, and the chat text is (just barely) legible.

I just made a short video, starting up the mig-21, i ran out of space, but i've freed up a lot more, i'll put on a couple videos of flying around too.

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That would be great! Personally I have got A-10C, UH-1H, P-51D Mustang, Mi-8, F-86F Sabre and Black Shark 2 :) I tend to binge in the sales lol

Okay, I have time to fly and make some nice tracks tonight. Do you prefer combat or leisure flying? Do you have a preference for air to air or air to ground? And finally, do you have a preference for any aircraft or helo? I have em all =) I tend to throw money at ED everytime they release something (even if they would make a flying cookie jar I would buy it =)

Cheers!

Okay, I have time to fly and make some nice tracks tonight. Do you prefer combat or leisure flying? Do you have a preference for air to air or air to ground? And finally, do you have a preference for any aircraft or helo? I have em all =) I tend to throw money at ED everytime they release something (even if they would make a flying cookie jar I would buy it =)

Cheers!

AHHH decision paralysis :o

Well firstly, thanks so much for offering! Erm I dunno really. That Huey track was great, like a theme park ride, so maybe some combat if you are up for it? I don't know if other folks are following the thread at the mo or not, so maybe they can jump in and suggest things, but if not: I tend to struggle following air to air, even though it looks cool, and stuff like ground runs between hills in the A-10 look awesome, so some hilly air to ground would be pretty cool. A-10, Su-25, Ka-50, your choice :)

Flying cookie jar footage of course would be obligatory

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY