DCS: Mig-21bis - High altitude blackout

jackmckay

Don't know about you guys but this happened to me suddenly and completely without warning::

Just started to get along with Mig21 and decided to try to reach high altitude ceiling limit with clean configuration and internal tank full. Took off using primary afterburner and steadily reached 10k to level up, cooled of a little and then kicked secondary afterburner (3min time limit) and went supersonic, when reached about mach 1.8+ started to climb up at 20-25deg angle and around 100m/s climb rate, at 12.5k trail goes off and speed steadily depletes, climb, climb.. reached 17.5k at mach 0.7, tried to maintain altitude but it seems that engine is underpowered, fine, I reached the ceiling, hit the goal :thumbup: so decided to go back and decent at 50m/s, during down slope started 180deg right turn at 15deg bank angle on mil power and started to gain speed, at 15k and under something strange started to happen, my instruments started to double and blur a little bit, then more and more, blackout tunnel started to appear and shrink, no high-G breath sound, just blurred cockpit (at first i thought that graphics drivers went crazy :joystick:) but then realized that my pilot is in trouble, I just pulled the throttle to idle and turned 100% oxygen and emergency O2 button before everything went pitch black :lol:..... hit F2 an started to pray, there was high chance that this will end in newspapers ... plane started decent without control and induced pitch started to make series of up and downs with stalling and randomly banking until sleepy beauty woke up several minutes later at around 4.5k altitude and at speed of around 400 km/h. Luckily plane had enough fuel to return to base and land safely:music_whistling:. - What went wrong???

Edited by jackmckay

Anoxia - check your oxygen supply.

Edit - saw your oxygen was checked, apologies.

However, even on 100% O2, if your cabin is not pressurised then the effect of low pressure means you'll still succumb to anoxia - now i don't know if MiG-21 has pressure cockpit but that sounds like it; or a bug in cabin pressure or oxygen coding.

Edited by DD_Fenrir

it has pressurized cockpit, when you lock it you pressurize it immediately after with secondary mini rod.. even sound goes "wssssssp" :) there must be some high altitude procedure to follow..

Edit - astronaut suit maybe ???

This is important at my point of view: since all other flyable planes have automatic or semi-automatic life support systems and ceiling well below of Mig21 or other high altitude interceptors like Mig25 or Mig31, danger limit for "normal" planes is obviously hard to hit, so is there some "astronaut" procedure or equipment missing here?

I'm not sure, did anyone had similar experiences?

Edited by jackmckay

Hi, Cobra847!

Since I got the latest update, my O2 pressure went to 0 even with mixture/oxygen off, when I request for repair to get more oxygen, I'm not getting any oxygen in the O2 tanks, also the G-suit max/min valve won't move and the suit ventilation knob won't rotate. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Edited by Vinny002

Don't know about you guys but this happened to me suddenly and completely without warning::

Just started to get along with Mig21 and decided to try to reach high altitude ceiling limit with clean configuration and internal tank full. Took off using primary afterburner and steadily reached 10k to level up, cooled of a little and then kicked secondary afterburner (3min time limit) and went supersonic, when reached about mach 1.8+ started to climb up at 20-25deg angle and around 100m/s climb rate, at 12.5k trail goes off and speed steadily depletes, climb, climb.. reached 17.5k at mach 0.7, tried to maintain altitude but it seems that engine is underpowered, fine, I reached the ceiling, hit the goal :thumbup: so decided to go back and decent at 50m/s, during down slope started 180deg right turn at 15deg bank angle on mil power and started to gain speed, at 15k and under something strange started to happen, my instruments started to double and blur a little bit, then more and more, blackout tunnel started to appear and shrink, no high-G breath sound, just blurred cockpit (at first i thought that graphics drivers went crazy :joystick:) but then realized that my pilot is in trouble, I just pulled the throttle to idle and turned 100% oxygen and emergency O2 button before everything went pitch black :lol:..... hit F2 an started to pray, there was high chance that this will end in newspapers ... plane started decent without control and induced pitch started to make series of up and downs with stalling and randomly banking until sleepy beauty woke up several minutes later at around 4.5k altitude and at speed of around 400 km/h. Luckily plane had enough fuel to return to base and land safely:music_whistling:. - What went wrong???

LOL......great post, love the way you told it, gotta feel sorry for these robo pilots though..... we keep using them as if they were expendable!!! But like a true test pilot, you got yourself and more importantly the plane back in one piece......someone give this guy a medal!

This sounds like an interesting test. let me try it. I don't promise Ill get back to you though.

I could black out and never make it back. So ... goodbye and good luck.

God speed in your endeavours eyusuf, the whole DCS world is behind you mate....now go push that envelope!!! :pilotfly:

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.