[RESOLVED] High altitude blackout

jackmckay

Don't know about you guys but this happened to me suddenly and completely without warning::

Just started to get along with Mig21 and decided to try to reach high altitude ceiling limit with clean configuration and internal tank full. Took off using primary afterburner and steadily reached 10k to level up, cooled of a little and then kicked secondary afterburner (3min time limit) and went supersonic, when reached about mach 1.8+ started to climb up at 20-25deg angle and around 100m/s climb rate, at 12.5k trail goes off and speed steadily depletes, climb, climb.. reached 17.5k at mach 0.7, tried to maintain altitude but it seems that engine is underpowered, fine, I reached the ceiling, hit the goal thumbup.gif so decided to go back and decent at 50m/s, during decent I started 180deg right turn at 15-20deg bank angle on mil power and started to gain speed, at 15k and under something strange started to happen, my instruments started to double and blur a little bit, then more and more, blackout tunnel started to appear and shrink, no high-G breath sound, just blurred cockpit (at first i thought that graphics drivers went crazy joystick.gif) but then realized that my pilot is in trouble, I just pulled the throttle to idle and turned 100% oxygen and emergency O2 buttons on seconds before everything went pitch black :sleep: .....

hit F2 an started to pray, there was high chance that this will end in newspapers :shocking: ... plane started decent without control and induced pitch started to make series of up and downs with stalling :bounce:, recovering and randomly banking until sleepy beauty woke up several minutes later at around 4.5k altitude and at speed of around 400 km/h. Luckily plane had enough fuel to return to base and land safelymusic_whistling.gif. - What went wrong ???

Astronaut suit missing or some procedure left behind? Any experiences?

Edited by Cobra847

To add to the rather trivial statement above; yes, the oxygen system is bugged, and you will get hypoxic even if you've done everything right. The developers know about it.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

Hi, guys!

I've blacked out at high altitude I think it was around 9,000 meters or about 29,500 feet when that happened. When my screen is getting dazed it was like about 10 seconds before I finally blacked out. I know there is oxygen controls on the AFT left panel but I don't know how to turn on the oxygen system. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Hi, guys!

I've blacked out at high altitude I think it was around 9,000 meters or about 29,500 feet when that happened. When my screen is getting dazed it was like about 10 seconds before I finally blacked out. I know there is oxygen controls on the AFT left panel but I don't know how to turn on the oxygen system. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

As it is said above. It is bug and it is already reported. There is nothing you can do about it now. Let them fix it and practice low level flying :pilotfly:

You don't have to turn on the oxygen. When you hermetized the cabin its ok.

There's a emergency oxygen and 100% oxygen switch. Both uses more than normal flow. I've tested a mach 2 flight to 18km altitude and after landing about 1/2 rest of oxygen was avaible.

How do you not turn on the oxygen? I cannot find a switch to control the main oxygen flow at all, only the 100% switch and the emergency switch.

Hi, guys!

Okay, I did the test in game flight mode today. I still blackout about 20 minutes into the flight at high altitude even in game flight mode. I got a couple of questions to ask you, do you know how long the oxygen supply should last in the mig-21 and where is the oxygen gauge in the mig-21 cockpit? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Edited by Vinny002

Hi, guys!

I found out something for you. I was reading the mig-21 reviews in drinking from the firehouse (mig-21 oddballs). I was reading about the mig-21, I got to the sentence saying about the hypoxia from high altitude flying it said by increasing the "hermetic pilot suit" helmet and suit pressure and ventilation controls (LV13 and LV74). Please flip the LV13 and LV74 switches and see what happens. Please let Cobra847 know if it works. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Edited by Vinny002

Hi, guys!

I did some more tests regarding the oxygen. Here is what happened: I got full oxygen tanks when I took off, I turned on the blue mixture/oxygen switch before I takeoff. When I climbed to around 41,000 feet, about 5 minutes later, the oxygen tanks got down to empty. Like I said before, the oxygen supply goes down even with the blue mixture/oxygen switch is off. I would like to fly at high altitudes. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

• 1 month later...

Hi, guys!

The oxygen in the DCS Mig-21bis in the DCS world 1.2.11 open beta is better but the oxygen supply only lasts for about 55 minutes to an hour. I think the oxygen supply in the DCS Mig-21bis should last as long as the oxygen supply in the A-10C which is about 12-15 hours. And the oxygen in the DCS Mig-21bis is leaking even when on the ground. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

None of the O2 switches should be normally used in a mission.

Switching them will only increase the O2 usage.

If you get low on O2 (below 30 atm) use Emergency O2 to enable further O2 use.

O2 consumption is complex, depending on variables such are altitude, cockpit pressurization, switches position, g-load etc.

Power through superb knowledge, training and teamwork.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi, guys!

I don't know if this is a bug or not, I thought I better let you know. Here is what happened: I'm flying at the altitude of about 9,000 meters for about 30 minutes, then I get the blurry vision close to blacking out. I turned the blue 100% oxygen on, I turned the helmet vent on, I turned the emergency O2 on, nothing, I turned those 3 switches off, and I descended to around 6,500 meters, the blurry vision went away. Please see attached. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

image.thumb.jpg.a7f6c8cc8e3702bed182ccf6fe6bdf74.jpg

Edited by Vinny002

• 2 months later...

It's thread resurrection time! :)

So, I was just flying the first mission of the "Stillness in Time" campaign (no real spoiler ahead), following the flight plan at roughly 9,000 meters and marveling at the unexpected formation by some of my buddies when, somewhere west of waypoint 8 near Poti, it appeared as if the cockpit textures were getting a mite fuzzy and/or blurry. Since I was just at my second beer for the night, I ruled out alcohol induced vision problems and instead started to take screenshots and Alt-Tabbed out of the game, but the effect remained the same while for example the F10 map was sharp and clear as ever.

After a while, the effect became almost overwhelming (you know, like when you're stalking the zone and stumble across a controller and bit by bit you feel like going crazy). At that point I realized it was probably Hypoxia and initiated an emergency descent. Just a couple seconds and a few thousand feet later my vision had returned to normal and I realized that I should really take a closer look at the MiG-21's environmental controls... :music_whistling: :smartass:

Now here's the thing: After reading through this thread and searching the manual for terms like "oxygen", "O2", "pressure" and "LV39", I'm no closer to finding out whether I missed something (maybe cockpit heat?) or this behavior is unintended.

As you can probably see in the screenshots, the O2 level gauge shows > 65% and the O2 pressure gauge looks to be at its standard value AFAICT.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

In any case (whether it's caused by a bug or I missed a switch), I think the effect is incredibly well done and the way it slowly, subtly turns from vaguely noticeable to overwhelming is totally cool. Hats off to the effects-guys in charge of it! :thumbup:

Screen_150129_01.jpg

Screen_150129_02.jpg